Drakes Bay Race Update

We have permission from the US Coast Guard to run the Drakes Bay Races on Saturday August 22 and Sunday August 23. This year’s race will be a SSS-only event, rather than the traditional joint SSS/YRA mixed fleets. There will be both singlehanded and doublehanded divisions.

Registrations are open on Jibeset. There will be a Drakes Bay Zoom skippers’ meeting at 7:30 PM on Thursday August 20.

There are several additional changes to the race format this year, a result of COVID-related restrictions:
1) There will be two races, as per tradition: Drakes Bay I from SF to DB on Saturday and Drakes Bay II from DB to SF on Sunday
2) There will be no Race committee on station in Drakes Bay
3) The DB I finish line / DB II start line is moved from its traditional location to the entrance of Drakes Bay (a 0.25 nm long line running 90 degrees magnetic west from Drakes Bay entrance mark G1)
4) DB I finishers will self-record their finish times
5) DB II starters will self-monitor their start in accordance with the published class flags and starting sequence
6) Race committee will be on station at the DB I start / DB II finish off the Golden Gate Yacht Club
7) After the race time limit for DB I (20:00), there will be a VHF 69 roll call for all entrants still on the course or anchored in Drakes Bay. All participants MUST participate in the roll call or will be disqualified from the race.