Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drakes Bay Update from the SSS Race Committee

Default Drakes Bay Update from the SSS Race Committee

Drakes Bay Race Update

We have permission from the US Coast Guard to run the Drakes Bay Races on Saturday August 22 and Sunday August 23. This year’s race will be a SSS-only event, rather than the traditional joint SSS/YRA mixed fleets. There will be both singlehanded and doublehanded divisions.

Registrations are open on Jibeset. There will be a Drakes Bay Zoom skippers’ meeting at 7:30 PM on Thursday August 20.

There are several additional changes to the race format this year, a result of COVID-related restrictions:
    1) There will be two races, as per tradition: Drakes Bay I from SF to DB on Saturday and Drakes Bay II from DB to SF on Sunday
    2) There will be no Race committee on station in Drakes Bay
    3) The DB I finish line / DB II start line is moved from its traditional location to the entrance of Drakes Bay (a 0.25 nm long line running 90 degrees magnetic west from Drakes Bay entrance mark G1)
    4) DB I finishers will self-record their finish times
    5) DB II starters will self-monitor their start in accordance with the published class flags and starting sequence
    6) Race committee will be on station at the DB I start / DB II finish off the Golden Gate Yacht Club
    7) After the race time limit for DB I (20:00), there will be a VHF 69 roll call for all entrants still on the course or anchored in Drakes Bay. All participants MUST participate in the roll call or will be disqualified from the race.

Note that there will be a few changes to the preliminary SIs that were posted on Jibeset. These include the length of the finish / start line and the requirement to participate in the VHF 69 roll call. We will be posting an updated version of the SIs ASAP.

TB

West of the Entrance Marker? Not east? Thanks Jan

Yes, he meant east. If the swell is piling up there (as usual) it should also be longer than a 1/4 mile. He's working on it.

Thanks!

Updated Drakes Bay SIs have been posted on Jibeset with several corrections /clarifications:
    - Clarity around finish / start line at Drakes Bay (yes, east of G1, not west...)
    - Addition of VHF 69 roll call instructions at Drakes Bay on Saturday night
    - Clarity on race time limit (2200 for both races)

If there are additional mistakes or inconsistencies in the SIs, please use this thread to alert the RC.

Also... Drakes Bay Zoom skippers' meeting is this Thursday (not Wednesday) at 7:30 PM.

I just spoke with a Pac Cup veteran who had their Moore 24 rudder sheared when they rounded G1 whistle buoy. He recommends NOT going north or west of this buoy.

I will be favoring the Pin end.

Ouch, that's unfortunate. You can cut most buoys in the bay area: Little Alcatraz, Blunt, Belvedere etc - but why would you?
    Hope to be joining you on that line this weekend.
    Last edited by everydaysailor; 08-19-2020 at 07:27 PM.

Holding my breath, metaphorically....
    https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...56abc830000180