Thread: AZsailors plans - Caravelle

Default AZsailors plans - Caravelle

Thanks for the Caravelle plans! I have some other things on the agenda, but after a certain race to Hawaii, and after I get the Piper up and going, I have had a real itch to try some dinghy cruising. As in...start in Olympia and follow the water trail all the way to Port Townsend. The Caravelle is a great boat for this.

The National Caravelle is a dinghy that's raced extensively in France. Designed by Jean Jacques Herbulot, both the man and his boats are sort of legendary over there. Here are a couple of pictures of the National Caravelle, which isnt' the EXACT same boat as the plans AZsailor gave me, but close enough as makes no difference. Here's a National Caravelle, or two.

Name:  image68.jpeg
Views: 295
Size:  230.6 KB

and racing...

Name:  052-National-Caravelle-2013-fondu.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  42.6 KB

The "Cruising" version of the Caravelle is the Caragnone. These are apparently built with various individual touches. For example the cabin on this one is different from most. It has an enclose aft lazarette and apparently is had bilge keels. I can't see if it has a centerboard or a daggerboard.

Name:  Caragnone.jpg
Views: 1956
Size:  113.3 KB

but I admit that building the stock boat and doing this, is also tempting.

It's a couple years away, but this is gonna be fun. I remember my Mirror Dinghy, which I had 20 years ago. That was a blast but even then it was a tich small. At 14' 4", this is going to be perfect.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

A few more pictures of the "cruising" version.

Name:  foto1.jpg
Views: 1862
Size:  78.7 KB

And this picture shows the relevant detail. NO centerboard OR daggerboard! I wonder how much ballast. Hmm...I have two, 28 pound lead bricks at home, and about 15 pound of lead wheel weights!

Name:  $_59.JPG
Views: 1828
Size:  86.7 KB

The decked option is a quirky variation. I guess it may provide an anchoring point for a soft awning. Inside would allow a corgi to curl up with comfort.

These camp cruisers are becoming common. The response I got from a Culler Concordia Sloop was that it was sold today.

I was in a vulnerable state since I was reading the book of Culler designs.

I sense another raid is generating interest.

Ants

Quote Originally Posted by AntsUiga View Post
    The decked option is a quirky variation. I guess it may provide an anchoring point for a soft awning. Inside would allow a corgi to curl up with comfort.

These camp cruisers are becoming common. The response I got from a Culler Concordia Sloop was that it was sold today.

I was in a vulnerable state since I was reading the book of Culler designs.

I sense another raid is generating interest.

Ants
    Google Translate suggests to me that one French site says that you can sleep two in the cuddy cabin. Two corgi's maybe, like you say....not this guy!