Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New SSS minimum equipment requirements

Default 4.04.2 Clipping Points

Better check those clipping points. Besides jackstay, you need clipping points for 2/3 of the crew - before coming on deck, etc.

Default 4.06 Anchors

Boats over 28ft need TWO anchors.

Default 4.22 Lifebuoys

Basically two sets of lifebuoys with lights, etc.

Default 6.01 Training

If you have not attended the 'Safety at Sea' seminar in the last 5 years you can't come play either: "at least 30%, but not fewer than two members of the crew...."

So you can't really do the Singlehanded Farallones at all Solo since two are the minimum, so I guess we won't have a race this year?

Even if we waive the 'two crew' requirement, how many SSS folks have done the Safety at Sea seminar?
    Last edited by solosailor; 01-19-2009 at 11:04 PM.

Default Season Scoring

We now have a throw out race? I don't recall that before?

Guys,

It's not a typo. We mean Cat. 2.

I'm not happy about this situation. The Coast Guard is pushing hard on this in the wake of the loss of Daisy last year. I was hoping to be involved in the talks between YRA and USCG, but I wasn't invited. After that there was a meeting at YRA of all the clubs that run ocean races, and everybody pretty much went along with the requirements. I've been scrambling for some traction to mitigate the requirements, but I can't find anyone to stand with me. (Haven't heard from BAMA, who might be our closest ally.) The exceptions that I've written into our rules somewhat undercut the unified rules that YRA is trying to put forward, anyway.

Bob and Greg, maybe you guys have enough experience and authority to work with me to push back a little.

Anyone who raced OYRA last year knows that they already had some pretty stringent requirements that were based on Cat. 2. When I wrote that the SSS prescriptions override the OYRA prescriptions, I meant that we go along with all OYRA's exceptions to the OSRs *AND* add a few more exemptions of our own.

Help me out here. How about if we get together after the Three Bridge skippers meeting and do a little planning?

PS, Greg, we've always had a throwout in the season scoring as long as I've been involved. This year, after seeing how people who focused on the Transpac ended way down in the points, we decided that the Transpac/Longpac score could not be thrown out. And a DNS in that race counts double.

Max

"How about if we get together after the Three Bridge skippers meeting and do a little planning?"

I'm happy to do that Max. I don't have the history with SSS that others do, but will contribute what I can.

Is there a report somewhere on what sank Daisy? If so, does it show that Daisy's full compliance with Cat 2 requirements would have prevented her sinking? (Rhetorical questions I know.)

BTW, here are the OYRA prescriptions/exemptions for 2009:

2.03.3 Navigation lights shall be shown from Sunset to Sunrise and when visibility is reduced to two miles or
    less. ■____
    3.08 Hatch Boards shall be in good condition with means to secure. ■____ Deck Hatch shall be water tight. ■____
    Locker Hatch shall be securable. ■____
    3.14 For boats less than 30’ the requirement for lifelines and pulpits is waived provided jackstays are installed. ■____
    3.18 Toilet permanently installed. For boats under 30’ a fitted bucket is acceptable. ■___
    3.20 Cooking stove capable of being safely operated at sea is recommended but not required.
    3.21.1 The requirement for permanently installed delivery pump and water tank is waived. ■___
    3.23 Boats under 30’ at least one permanently installed manual bilge pump of 10 gallons per minute capacity operable with all hatches and companionways closed. ■___
    3.28 The requirement for permanently installed propulsion engine and fuel tanks is waived for boats under 30’. Outboard engines and fuel for eight hours of operation meeting the performance specifications are required. ■____
    3.29 Cell phone in a waterproof container must be carried on each yacht. ■___
    4.19 The Requirement for a 406 MHz EPIRB is currently waived, but it is strongly recommended that each vessel carry one. An EPIRB, or its equivalent technology will be required in the future. See the YRA Website (www.yra.org) for information on purchasing or renting an EPIRB.
    4.20 Unless specifically designated in the Notice of Race the requirement for a life raft is waived. For specifically designated long distance Offshore Races, a life raft capable of carrying the entire crew which must have a valid annual certificate from the manufacturer or an approved agent certifying that it has been inspected and stating the official capacity of the raft that shall not be exceeded.
    4.21 Grab bags requirements are waived.
    4.23 OYRA prescribes that for yachts under its jurisdiction, SOLAS flares may not be more than 6 years old except orange smoke flares which may not be more than 10 years old.
    4.26 Storm & heavy weather sail requirements are waived and the following substituted:
    One heavy weather jib sized for the boat is required if boat is equipped to carry a headsail. ■____
    Main sails sufficiently strong for heavy weather and able to be reefed with adequate trimming devices to handle heavy weather conditions. ■____
    5.04 OYRA requires Foul Weather Suit for each crewmember. ■____
    5.05 OYRA requires a knife for each crewmember. ■____
    5.08 OYRA requires a Man-Overboard Practice . ■____
    6.01 Safety @ Sea training is strongly recommended. ■____

Default Wow

Wow, an a single boat that never comes out and races ('Daisy'), their boat comes apart (most likely) and sinks and now we all get to pay the price.

Did they FORCE us to use these rules (i.e. 'you will not get a permit')??

Again, Cat 2 is defined by ISAF as 'Races of extended duration'.... which NONE of our races are except the LongPac and SHTP. This is Big Brother gone racing. ANYONE with a boat can exit the Gate and go to the Farallones without ANY of this NONSENCE but our organization, with a excellent, NO ACTUALLY PERFECT safety record has this imposed upon us.

BAMA has the worst safety record so I wouldn't use them.

Yes, lets meet before the SSS 3BF Meeting. The earlier the better. I will be at the OYC @ 6pm Wednesday night - anyone else that wants to meet there, please come.

Default Cat 2 Rules Meeting @ OYC - Wednesday

I just got off the phone with Richard Calabrese the OYRA President and Mimimum Equipment Officer and he will be meeting me at the Oakland Yacht Club before the 3BF Skippers Meeting. We are trying to give this the ample time it needs so we will be there @ 6pm. Anyone is welcome to attend.

FYI, both my Black Soo and Azzura 310 (both proven ocean boats and Hawaii vets/winners) DO NOT meet the OYRA Cat 2 rules even with the exception such as: outboard motor ONLY for boats under 30ft, etc. He said 'we would give you an exception' but that IS NOT what the written rules state so if I wanted to race and did not call him I would not have found out that they WILL give exceptions beyond the written rules (which makes no sense).

He also thought that the 'Safety at Sea' was a 'should' and not 'shall' as it is written, which he said he will change for sure for the OYRA.