Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New SSS minimum equipment requirements

Default We are reading it.

Thanks for the input. The new SSS board is indeed reading this and other information. The new (2009) suggested requirements were very recently (early January) released and we posted them, with some modifications, in order to get the SSS 2009 package out. We are currently pretty focused on the TBF and making the transition to on-line registration.

Speaking for myself, I am not going to reply to every post on the Forum as soon as it's put up. I read the Forum at least once a day and wait for whatever trends that are going to surface to surface through the discussion.
    I learned this by watching how issues were handled by the 2008 Race Chair before the 2008 SHTP. Issues like the ever popular SSB requirement were discussed ad nasium before the NOR was published.

Unfortunately, we don't have the luxury of time to preview every issue in launching the regular season. We get slammed with transitioning to a new board, re-registering everyone, doing a budget, confirming the race venues for the season, finding the storage locker, recruiting volunteers for the race deck, getting speakers for the skippers' meetings, talking to the trophy and t-shirt vendors, and making sure we are able to pull off the biggest race of the year without embarrassing outselves.

Please be patient folks. We welcome feedback and I know that the people who are getting excited/concerned are many of the same people who have stepped up big time in the past and are responsible for the past success and accomplishments of the SSS.

The new board isn't out to re-invent the wheel and we're not going to do anything to compromise the organization. Please continue to help us with your opinions and suggestions. We need and appreciate the help. But, also please refrain from sarcastic remarks and hyperbole. It's not helpful and, being human, may inspire me to match you - also not helpful.

Looking forward to a great 2009 season.

Bill Merrick
    SSS Commodore

Default YRA-OYRA info

The YRA office is going to try to get a copy of the proposed new 2009 exception list to me by tomorrow.

She did say it had exceptions for the 'Safety at Sea' seminar for one thing. She did state the the Coast Guard wanted even stronger regulations when they had their meeting.

It will be good to sit down and figure out the actual requirements after the new OYRA and SSS exceptions are taken into account so our members will know exactly what they need to meet the rules.

Thanks for your responsiveness - I'll be there.

Obviously, we need to take a closer look. I mistakenly thought it would keep until we got past the TBF.

Going forward, following the meeting with YRA tomorrow, I'll appoint a small committee to review the YRA regs and make recommendations about what we can agree to, modify or reject.

Greg Nelsen has done a lot of the spade work already in researching the regs, USCG requirements, etc. and will head the committee.

The committee will make their recommendations to the SSS board and the board will act on their recommendations and post the final requirements on the web-site by the end of February.

Bill Merrick

I'll be there at 6:00.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

I'll try to be there as well.

dan

work got in the way and it was 7:30 before I got there....what's the news?
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Default Watching

Its 40 degrees but the first snow fall has melted. I am getting ready for the Bermuda 1-2 and hoping the economy changes soon enough for me to race the SHTP again. I am watching what you are going through with new saftey regs and the USCG. I am wondering why its regional problem and not national one. Your efforts are certainly appreciated.

Keep the faith, Don

Hey Don - good to hear from you. Good luck in the B1-2.

We had a good meeting Wednesday evening (before the 3BF meeting). Pat Broderick (YRA Chair) and Laura Paul-Munoz took some time to describe a meeting with the Coast Guard last year, which took place because of the Daisy tragedy in IYC's DH Lightship Race.

As Bill (SSS's Commodore) described would happen (post #24 above), a committee of SSS'ers was formed to compare SSS's 2008 requirements, the 2009 OYRA requirements, possibly PacCup's requirements, and the ISAF's OSR Cat 2 reg's. The committee will develop a list and/or prescription, based on OSR Cat 2, that is appropriate to SSS and the shorthanded aspect of our races. This information will be presented to the SSS board for approval and the 2009 SSI's will be amended as soon as possible thereafter. The committee is aware of the racers' need to have time to prepare for the SSS Farallones and Half Moon Bay races. As in the past, the LongPac and 2010 SH TransPac will have their own requirements.

The CG had also recommended that a more uniform communication protocol be established for the various ocean races (OYRA, BAMA, IYC and SSS). After reviewing a communication protocol written by YRA, the group concluded that SSS was already complying with it.

Thanks to all for coming early and participating. The above is my opinion/interpretation of the discussion so if you have further questions, please direct them to one of the board members.
    Last edited by BobJ; 01-23-2009 at 05:31 PM.

I was just finishing a writeup about the meeting when I read Bob's. Good job, Bob. Good summation and I have nothing more to add except that Greg's committee is also going to take a harder look at what doublehanded boats may need that singlehanded boats don't, e.g. MOB pole - dosen't make a lot of sense for a singlehanded boat but is a very good piece of equipment for a doublehanded boat.

Don, good luck in the Bermuda 1-2. Semper Fi, Dude.

I think this issue has popped up here in the Bay Area because of the loss of Daisey last year in a doublehanded race that had a mark outside the Gate. Two sailors were lost and it generated a lot of press. The USCG report on the loss is expected within the next few months but from what I've read, it's unlikely that any new information will surface and equally unlikely that the exact circumstances of and reasons for the sinking will ever be known.

Bill Merrick