Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Cruise Out 2020

OK Jackie, keep these to yourself

My two favorites for the trip up.

"Factories" (my name for this place) - 38º2'N 121º51'W look at chart you will see a small point. Anchor to the North of this point when wind has more West in it. To the Southwest of of the point if it is blowing kinda normal NW. You are exposed to Southerlies but not much fetch. Find a depth around 10 or 12 feet. Holding is mud and it sticks like glue... to everything.

Little Potato Slough - 38º4'N 121º32'W anchor where the wind don't blow, you can anchor anywhere around the island. About 12 feet deep. Good holding in mud. A little out of the way for me but I anchor there when I get a late start from home. Gets me about 13 NM to the good. Lots of sailboats in the summer.

Sending you cruise out pics in an e-mail.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Without a pole or offsetting main to stabilize it, DM's over-sized masthead kite indeed oscillated in the gusts. A narrow, winding channel, variable wind all afternoon, memories of epic round-downs . . . then she pointed out that if we crashed port or starboard, we would only end up in a mudbank, not a seawall or a dock. Well, THAT was reassuring!

But what a great weekend. Thanks to Jackie for setting this up, to Charlie Jeremias for being an enthusiastic host and to all the other folks who came.
    Yes indeed, thank you Jackie and Charlie. It was a fun time. When we got up Sunday morning there was a coffee maker on the dock percolating away. I was wondering who the heck brought a coffee maker? Turns out Charlie carted the thing down from his house and had hot coffee for us on a cold morning. Very thoughtful.

Quote Originally Posted by mike cunningham View Post
    OK Jackie, keep these to yourself

My two favorites for the trip up.

"Factories" (my name for this place) - 38º2'N 121º51'W look at chart you will see a small point. Anchor to the North of this point when wind has more West in it. To the Southwest of of the point if it is blowing kinda normal NW. You are exposed to Southerlies but not much fetch. Find a depth around 10 or 12 feet. Holding is mud and it sticks like glue... to everything.

Little Potato Slough - 38º4'N 121º32'W anchor where the wind don't blow, you can anchor anywhere around the island. About 12 feet deep. Good holding in mud. A little out of the way for me but I anchor there when I get a late start from home. Gets me about 13 NM to the good. Lots of sailboats in the summer.

Sending you cruise out pics in an e-mail.
    Thank you, thank you very much. Nothing like local knowledge

A video from the Cruise-Out: https://vimeo.com/480009142