Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cruise Out 2020

Default Cruise Out 2020

Well, I just don't know. What do people think about this? What shape would/might this take? Anything can happen between now and the weekend of November 7/8.

Kauai might open up and we could all sail there for the night. Oh. Wait. That's too far.

Depending upon the weather, we could go to Drakes Bay. A Cruise Up to Drakes Bay instead of a race. That would be a change because the skippers of slower boats wouldn't curse low wind. The chances of high wind are less during this time of year. Lots of sailing for two days, but since it's not a race, people might consider staying for more than one night. I know I would.

Remember those great prizes. Post suggestions here.

This from Nathalie:

Nathalie Criou
    11:18 AM (0 minutes ago)
    to me

"Oooo I’d go

And I mean two sailboats on the water is a race"

Benicia is closer... maybe warmer... and easier to walk and talk... though maybe folks have been there already this year? Being selfish... I have been past Benicia 3 times this year and they never had "room for us at the inn"! Though yes Drakes Bay can be magical at this time of the year (though it could also be a "trap" if we have an early southerly).

One of these days we should find an excuse to go to Bodega Bay... all these years in the ocean and have never made it there. Another club I belong to has an October event every year in Tomales Bay... now that makes for an interesting cruise (and you pretty much need three days given all day up and all day back).

Thanks, Ocean Guy. Yeah, a southerly in Drakes Bay could be bad.

At Benicia everyone would have to pay for a slip, although they are reasonable ($1/ft when I stopped there in April) and there are restaurants within walking distance. Who knows? Maybe Benicia YC will be open by then and invite us all to eat outside on their deck.

However, November 7/8 will only be 3 weeks after Vallejo. Do people want to sail across the San Pablo Bay again so soon? Dunno.

I've done the "Gulf of the Farallones Triangle" several times over the decades. Day #1 SF to Drakes Bay. Day #2 Drakes Bay to HMB via the S.E. Farallon Island. Day #3 HMB to SF. The Drakes Bay to S.E. Farallon route takes you past the N. Farallones -- usually a reach to the Stinky Rocks. The HMB leg is usually a reach, too. Chance to stay more than 1 day at HMB? Day #3 head for the Colorado Reef Buoy, close reach up to home.

You mention the N. Farralones... coming home from Hawaii in 2018... we went "through" the N. Farallones... 3 big rocks with a few hundred yards between each. Just rocks - nothing growing. Went thru at sunset... pretty awesome... "WILD" in caps... will never forget... though in retrospect were we "too close"... hmmm

Oh... I didn't realize the Vallejo 1-2 was a "go"... that Vallejo YC was "onboard". Or maybe it just takes the City Marina to be "open for business"... VYC "optional"...

Quote Originally Posted by JimQuanci View Post
    Oh... I didn't realize the Vallejo 1-2 was a "go"... that Vallejo YC was "onboard". Or maybe it just takes the City Marina to be "open for business"... VYC "optional"...
    Dear Sir; please see SIs on Jibeset

Quote Originally Posted by JimQuanci View Post
    You mention the N. Farralones... coming home from Hawaii in 2018... we went "through" the N. Farallones... 3 big rocks with a few hundred yards between each. Just rocks - nothing growing. Went thru at sunset... pretty awesome... "WILD" in caps... will never forget... though in retrospect were we "too close"... hmmm
    Coming back on the 2009 LongPac Michael and I passed just N of the N. Farallon, actually between Noonday Rock and the vertical slabs. Just at dusk. Maybe making 3 or 4 knots. It was magic, but not something we would have done later in the dark. It's important to remember that Noonday Rock is named for the clipper ship that's still there. They wouldn't rename it "Green Buffalo"!!

Napa Valley YC might be interesting. Took the boat out there last weekend (and motored right downtown Napa too).

The NVYC was completely empty Sunday morning but looked well maintained and had ample room.

Just took a look at 18654 for bridge clearance

Mare Island lift bridge - 100 feet (open 0900 - 1900 7 day a week) enjoy the stopped drivers glaring at you for 15 minutes.
    HWY 37 fixed - 100 feet
    Inactive RR bridge fixed open - 97 feet
    Fixed bridge - 107 feet
    HWY 29 bridge - 60 feet
    Napa Valley Yacht Club dock

NVYC is about 10 NM north of the Mare Island Bridge and 1/2 mile from downtown via road or water.