Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whitall Stokes nonstop around alone

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Congrats to Whitall and SPARROW, who rounded Cape Horn about 7 a.m. PST this morning, Dec. 26.!
    Indeed! Well done Whitall. Something probably every single handed sailor dreams of doing. He made it happen. Self funded and self navigated. Respect! Long way to go to complete the trip, but a significant milestone.
    Last edited by WBChristie; 12-26-2020 at 11:41 AM.

Whitall is putting into Ushuaia, Argentina, to begin an extensive list of repairs. "No decisions have been made" as to future plans. But suspect he may ultimately proceed westward back into the South Pacific and towards home, as the primary and secondary goals of non-stop, unassisted, record setting circumnavigation no longer available.

Too bad, but the right decision. Commiserations Whitall...

Whitall is putting into Ushuaia, Argentina, to begin an extensive list of repairs. "No decisions have been made" as to future plans. But suspect he may ultimately proceed westward back into the South Pacific and towards home, as the primary and secondary goals of non-stop, unassisted, record setting circumnavigation no longer available.
    I wonder who has direct communications with Whitall and if he has considered Puerto Williams, Chile? There are pros/cons of Ushuaia vs. Puerto Williams.
    The website noonsite.com has good info for both locations. Chile appears to be less (COVID-19) restrictive than Argentina.

“COVID19: EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE”
    “All ports in Chile are accepting transiting vessels that require emergency assistance or support. The procedure is as simple as declaring the emergency and the support will be provided. For obvious reasons special measures and restrictions might apply.”
    Tom P.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    I wonder who has direct communications with Whitall and if he has considered Puerto Williams, Chile? There are pros/cons of Ushuaia vs. Puerto Williams.
    The website noonsite.com has good info for both locations. Chile appears to be less (COVID-19) restrictive than Argentina.

“COVID19: EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE”
    “All ports in Chile are accepting transiting vessels that require emergency assistance or support. The procedure is as simple as declaring the emergency and the support will be provided. For obvious reasons special measures and restrictions might apply.”
    Looks like Whitall read the same info, and has temporarily anchored in the lee of Gusano Peninsula, outside Puerto Williams, Chile, likely to catch some shut eye and figure out which country to clear into. Unknown if he will attempt to get SPARROW into Puerto Williams small boat harbor, which may be draft limited at 3.5 meters depth, same as SPARROW. My guess is, after resting, he'll press on for Ushuaia, which likely has more facilities for repair and reprovisioning needs.
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-28-2020 at 09:43 PM.

I've been to Ushuaia, though only for day, but there's a small boat harbor and big dock for commercial repairs. Also, there are multiple flights in and out of the airport daily, that connect to international routes. So if he has to get something shipped in, Ushuaia beats Puerto Williams on that account. On the other hand, if I had to pick the country with the less beaurocracy and the smaller likliehood of having to grease palms to get things done, Chile wins, hands down.

Sucks that he has to stop, but that's the smart thing.
    Last edited by AlanH; 12-30-2020 at 10:58 AM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Holy Guacamole! What a story Whitall has on his website. I won't spoil it. But there's some amazing stuff going on at Puerto Williams, Chile. I am related to a Chilean, and to state her countrymen are welcoming is an understatement. https://svsparrow.com/

Holy Guacamole! What a story Whitall has on his website. I won't spoil it. But there's some amazing stuff going on at Puerto Williams, Chile. I am related to a Chilean, and to state her countrymen are welcoming is an understatement. https://svsparrow.com/
    Totally agree! I look forward to the next installment. He is such a terrific writer, too, with that wry sense of humor and low key descriptions of TERRIFYING events. He also seems to know his way around more than just duct tape.

The adventure definitely isn't over! Cruising that area...just as desirable as a circumnavigation in my book. Hope to see it one day too.

After an extended and welcoming stay for repairs at Puerto Williams, Chile, Whitall Stokes on SPARROW has cleared port, headed northbound in the Atlantic, likely destination: East Coast of U.S.