Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Berkeley Sunday Midwinters

Snuffers are like Listerine - "I HATE it, twice a day!" Everything that could go wrong with it did - although I managed to keep it out of the water. I sailed the final upwind leg with it still hoisted, since it was jammed in the shrouds at the spreaders. There will probably be photos.

But yes, we got around the course in the cold and wet and it was good to see everyone out there.

Oh my I'm glad I wasn't the only one with problems ,,, I saw my own video and went.. WTF ? You're damn slow at everything... I'm thinking of secondary winches on a freaking Cal20..... lol
    Just so that you know.. I'm still jealous of you fast boats... cheers
    P

But you were fast enough to win Paul - nice job!
    Last edited by BobJ; 12-16-2020 at 03:10 PM.

Fun times guys! Good to see everyone out on the water! That's the first time I've raced a short course in my boat solo and I have to say, I experienced pangs of jealousy over Bob's asym with the snuffer and Paul's solo-sized spinnaker... well sailed to all and looking forward to doing it again, hopefully in drier weather!

Wow! Less than 50 seconds between the top three today on corrected. Super fun! I am enjoying the learning process of racing on short courses singlehanded...just not much room for error and lots of value in the preparation. If I hadn't crossed up the halyards, or put AP controller in my pocket facing the wrong way, I wouldn't have been messing around on the bow and then leaned against the jib and turned off the autopilot and tacked....yeesh. I'm going to build a holster for that thing. Well done Bob for the win!

I'm glad we had some breeze - it wasn't in the forecast.

I've about had it with the snuffer (again). I gave up on it with the J/92 and am ready to "bag" it with this boat, except for ocean races. I watched you pull your kite down under the boom and was reminded what it's supposed to look like. A first-ever today: I was hoisting the kite in the snuffer and it was fighting me. Somehow a jib sheet hooked itself on the top of the snuffer and was trying to take a ride to the top. That thing is more trouble than it's worth.

Meanwhile Paul hoists his spinnaker out of his pocket I think.

But overall a fun day. Thanks for coming out to race. We had ten boats in the singlehanded division - that might be a record in the Midwinters.
    Last edited by BobJ; 01-11-2021 at 12:05 AM.

That WAS fun. Here's Jonathan on Stink Eye, looking like he knows what he's doing:

Name:  IMG-9702 - Copy (3).JPG
Views: 2535
Size:  183.6 KB
    Last edited by Philpott; 01-11-2021 at 11:16 AM.

He does!

Nice photo, Philpott. Here are more photos from Sunday's race, taken from the mark set boat:

https://www.mpal.pictures/BYC-Photos...y-2021-Sunday/

Thank Jackie for the pic of Stink Eye. Leader of the back. It was fun dicing with Fugu and Hedgehog.

Great photos, thanks! A great crowd! Bob, I was bummed to see the division cutoff for 3BF was at 111--I don't feel like I'm racing if I'm not wondering where Bob is.