Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Berkeley Sunday Midwinters

Default Berkeley Sunday Midwinters

Some of us will be racing single or double-handed on the Berkeley Circle again this Winter. The first race is on November 15th and the R/C will set the divisions based on entries received by November 9th.
    Please sign up and join us:

https://jibeset.net/BYC000.php?RG=T00442677
    Last edited by BobJ; 10-19-2023 at 10:51 PM.

Okay. Dura Mater's in.

Midwinters are an excellent way to prep for both single and double-handed races. Winds tend to be lighter and groups smaller. BobJ above on the Alerion or people on this forum will help you understand or review the Berkeley course marks.

Joe Balderrama
    SSS Commodore

Joe Balderrama
    SSS Commodore

I like the sound of that

(I do too!)

The SI's are posted:

Berkeley MW's Sailing Instructions

The courses are shown on page two. The R/C rarely uses the reaching mark and is pretty careful about dropping the windward mark directly upwind. A common goof for newer racers: The starting line is restricted. If you cross through the line on your way to the next mark (or you don't stay away from the line until your start), you lose a place in the results. Bobbi is great about making the sequences clear, repeating which course to sail for each start, etc. The divisions are small so the course isn't too congested - although they have NINE singlehanders signed up so far.

It's a good series and we've been doing it for a long time. I hope to see you out there.

Nine single handers!!
    Great turnout.
    I'll second Bob's comment regarding the starting area.
    Even with some experience mistakes can be made.
    All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it is vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence

Greg! We miss you! Weren't you thinking of buying a trailer boat? Berkeley Midwins are perfect for a trailer boat.

A lovely day yesterday for the first Berkeley Shorthanded Midwinters. My photos are so-so but look at the horizon in each one, and you'll see what I mean.

Bobbi worked her usual magic, postponing for a bit and then starting the sequences at the best possible time to insure we'd have a race. Eight of the nine registered singlehanders were on the line, as were a bunch of doublehanded Express 27s, Alerion 28s and a few other boats.

It wasn't looking so good when we arrived in the starting area:
    Name:  BMW1 Prestart.JPG
Views: 1520
Size:  1.45 MB

I decided to sail wing-on-wing and not mess with the kite, and found myself with Antares and Strange Magic on the slow DW leg:
    Name:  BMW2 Antares StrangeMagic.JPG
Views: 1521
Size:  2.91 MB

Jonathan on Stink Eye did the right thing and followed the Express 27s, allowing him to come in hotter to the leeward mark. He won the singlehanded division and had a faster corrected time than any other boat racing, except the fully-crewed J/80. Antares and Joy Ride are also in this shot:
    Name:  BMW4 StinkEye Antares JoyRide.JPG
Views: 1382
Size:  1.47 MB

The Alerion 28s started last and were the most competitive. Fred Paxton bested Bill Erkelens by one second at the finish - Fred said he had to call the committee boat to see who'd won. Another Alerion 28 just joined the fray - I think they're up to 11 boats now, just in Pt. Richmond. I was able to get four of them into one frame:
    Name:  BMW5 Alerion28s.JPG
Views: 1706
Size:  1.33 MB

Heard on E-Dock after we got back: "Now we have to wait a WHOLE MONTH until the next one?" We're working on something in the interim...

Here's a big batch of better photos, taken by Berkeley YC folks out on the course:

https://www.mpal.pictures/BYC-Photos...r-2020-Sunday/
    Last edited by BobJ; 11-17-2020 at 12:17 AM.

BobJ,
    I missed that beautiful day on the water, so thank you very much for the pictures and narrative. Congratulations to Jonathan on Stink Eye for 1st in Singlehanded and to you Bob for 3rd. And for Moni on the SC27, Wolpertinger for 4th.

Joe Balderrama
    SSS Commodore

Gents--

I'd asked a bit earlier about racing going on over the winter and got scant replies. Seems like this series is the place to be. The large hole in the side of the boat is just about fixed and the big uppy pointy thing will be installed next week. So, perhaps this is the target for December. Question--why all the SHers on Sunday only? Is that just an agreement amongst the crowd? A big effort for me to make it to a race so I was thinking of sailing both days.