Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Berkeley Sunday Midwinters

Small hoist still useable but to small for the Azzura. The big hoist is officially down but has been used while broken by various scoundrels.

Sunday 011523
    Whenever I race Ray Irvine makes me explain myself. Yesterday was no exception. Usually it is something like this: "What were you thinking?" and usually I must answer something like, "Thinking? I don't think when I'm sailing." Not the most self aware, this one.

But here is my response to Ray's enquiry yesterday: "Why is your track so different from Sweet Pea's track. You made some interesting moves."

Name:  track 011523.jpeg
Views: 305
Size:  250.5 KB

The squall caught me as I was rounding the windward mark the second time. I still had my full main up and all 125% of my Dave Hodges jib (flapping away, poor thing). It came up fast. Sweet Pea had rounded ahead of me and raised his spinnaker. He tried to carry it all the way to the leeward mark. By others' accounts he had some difficulty ��

But he finished the race in the downpour. I went too far east trying to locate the leeward mark in the heavy rain and brief fog. Then? Ah!!! There it was! Next to the patient markset boat w three people aboard, bless their hearts!

I had a lovely time yesterday, although it got quite cold later on. I was totally soaked. Met up with Grant Kiba and Cecily Knepprath, Bob Johnston and Chris Case up in the RYC clubhouse afterward. My favorite part of racing aside from the sailing.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Hi, rumors are spreading fast... difficulties, me? Well, on the second downwind run the snap shackle of the spinnaker guy opened right after the hoist, so after cursing out the foredeck crew we decided to take the sail down again. At that point it was too late to pack and hoist again. I caught the squall right at the end of the race and most of the way back to Sausalito. Picked up a power boat with transmission problems on the way, that broke my series of towing Frenchmen in catamarans. Cheers Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Met up with Grant Kiba and Cecily Knepprath, Bob Johnston and Chris Case up in the RYC clubhouse afterward. My favorite part of racing aside from the sailing.
    I ditched a meeting about RYC's volunteer registration software when I had the chance to hang with other Sunday racers. While having a beer with them, I kept checking my phone for the results but they weren't posted until today. It turns out Grant and Cecily on Take Five More beat Surprise! by 42 seconds!

Why was staunch singlehander Dura Mater racing in the doublehanded division? Dunno - Philpott had no crew that I saw.

Next month I'm sailing w a friend, so I switched over early.

Missed you guys!!
    Mother Nature’s Bomb cyclone atmospheric river dumped a foot of fresh snow in my yard!
    Keeping me home to plow snow.

Much rather be out there wrestling a spinnaker in a squall. __/)___

Awww, Greg! All those squiggles on our track? That was DM and me motoring around trying to find you before the start.

Last Sunday on the Berkeley Circle. There may be some boats and people you know in here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...5D?usp=sharing

For example, scroll to the last three photos!
    Last edited by BobJ; 01-21-2023 at 12:18 AM.

In one of those photos the photo boat caught up with me just as the mini squall hit, but waited to shoot until after my struggle to control my wicked fast boat. I knew they were thinking I would fall out of the boat, but I let them know that I wouldn't. haha

Hey, Bob, have you seen that there is another Surprise! on the water? Registered for the Fiasco. And Michael Chammout bought an Alerion 33. Woo hoo! This'll be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Hey, Bob, have you seen that there is another Surprise! on the water? Registered for the Fiasco.
    So there is! It's a Ranger 23 that rates 210. I could take some tape to my sail numbers and start when they do. Do you think the RC would notice?