Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Berkeley Sunday Midwinters

Last Sunday was fun. Partially in the interest of staying out of the way but mostly due to being early, I buried The PCXpress under Al and Bob and managed a horrendous start but made ok headway to the mark.
    Likely thanks to Al's hail I slipped by a big yellow mark on the way to winward 1. Thank you sir.
    As I watched that yellow mark slide by a few feet away I heard a loud "thunk!" Ughh. Easily could have been any of us and really hit home (excuse the phrasing) for me with my near buoy miss. Another boat in a different fleet sailing downwind collided with a singlehander going to weather I assume.
    Meanwhile, with a 4 and flat main the boat still was um, not flat, and gave up lots of ground. Ah well, kuddos to Al and Bob. Having 2 clean sets and 2 good douses was great but I caught myself looking around and forgot to stow the pole at the last leeward mark. The crash jibe stowing the pole while forward was not great but I cleared the mark anyway. Nipped the tuna and her big jib by 12 seconds.

Central bay return was cooking at 17-19 knots tws and beam to quartering sea.
    Good ol Ray EV100 had her hittin' 9's with a reef and a 4.
    We often sail in to Pier 39 but this time got the little honda going which was already on the transom. I saw something on anarchy recently poo pooing the act of leaving the outboard out back. I get it looks like shite, is slow, and can be a hazard but guess they don't singlehand. Sometimes it's just better to leave it there.
    Also saves your back and a trip going down below securing or fetching it (usually with other boats/obstructions around).
    Tomorrow is YRA doublehanded with the wifey. In 4 weeks Pork Chop will have done 4 different races sponsored by 4 different clubs with 4 different crew counts. 3, 4, 1 and 2. Kinda neato.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaysailor View Post
    In 4 weeks Pork Chop will have done 4 different races sponsored by 4 different clubs with 4 different crew counts. 3, 4, 1 and 2. Kinda neato.
    We have it pretty good. Here's my old J/92 in shrink wrap for the winter. Tonight it's 28 degrees in Traverse City, MI:

Name:  Rags Shrinktrap.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  39.7 KB

I've been waiting for this: Registrations are open for the Berkeley Midwinters. Shorthanders (single or double-handed) race in the Sunday series. This is great practice, usually in lighter winds than we have during the season, and is also just fun on its own. This will be our seventh or eight year. Would you join us again?

https://jibeset.net/BYC000.php?RG=T004054696

YRA's Doublehanded Midwinters are also open for registration:

https://jibeset.net/YRA000.php?RG=T009608339
    Last edited by BobJ; 10-25-2022 at 11:46 AM.

Sure. Why not?

Name:  DM w bumble bee - Copy (2).jpg
Views: 490
Size:  319.1 KB

DM in Berkeley Midwins, 2018

Berkeley Midwins 2017

Name:  Berkeley Midwinters.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  529.0 KB

Returning to Berkeley Marina after midwins 2015

Name:  Dura Mater under spinnaker.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  294.6 KB

Berkeley Midwins 2010

Name:  Berkeley Mid wins 2012.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  168.4 KB

So much fun you keep going back for more. Wind or no wind.
    Last edited by Philpott; 10-11-2022 at 07:46 PM.

Stink Eye plans on racing doublehanded. Wind or no wind.

Cool!
    See you out there!

Great photos, including Dura Mater (the former).

Here's one from Surprise!'s first Midwinters, when she looked "different." Thanks to Christine for the photo:

Name:  Midwinter Yawl.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  137.3 KB
    Last edited by BobJ; 10-12-2022 at 11:34 AM.

So far we have three singlehanders signed up for the Berkeley (Sunday) Midwinters, along with a couple of double-handers.

The first race is November 13th. The R/C sets the divisions a week before that, based on the entries. Please join us if you can:

https://jibeset.net/BYC000.php?RG=T004054696

Update: We're up to eight singlehanders and four double-handers (not counting the Alerion 28s) for the Berkeley Midwinters. The first race is this coming Sunday (11/13).

I'm considering switching from SH to DH to help balance things out, and also to be able to race against Fugu. If you've raced before on Surprise! or Ragtime! and would be interested in sailing with me, please send me an e-mail or text.
    Last edited by BobJ; 11-07-2022 at 01:38 PM.