Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Berkeley Sunday Midwinters

A photo of Jack chewing on an El Toro tiller can't be far away.

"May I please have some more sir"

They're back, and you have options!

Surprise! is again signed up for Berkeley's Sunday midwinter series. I'm currently registered singlehanded but I might change to doublehanded based on the entries. This has been a consistently fun series. Bobbi and her team always seem to get a race off, even if it's light when we arrive in the starting area. There will be a bunch of skippers you know out there and we always have a good time. The first race is November 14th. Bobbi will set the divisions based on entries received by November 8th, so please sign up:

https://jibeset.net/BYC000.php?RG=T003018518

Following its highly successful Sunday doublehanded series this season and last, the YRA has a new Sunday midwinter series. The races are also once a month, a week (or two) after the Berkeley dates. If you know someone who will race with you, you could do both series! I see that Chesapeake and Bella are already registered.

https://jibeset.net/YRA000.php?RG=T002974803
    Last edited by BobJ; 10-22-2021 at 01:52 PM.

Thanks for the heads up.

Joined as a solo with Bob on Sundays for Berkeley midwinters. Will be a nice tune up for next season.
    Last edited by Black Jack; 10-26-2021 at 09:00 AM.
    Without friends, none of this would be possible.

Thanks everyone. There are six doublehanders and eight singlehanders registered for the BYC series - enough for separate starts again this year. You can always enter a single race if you're feeling left out. Also, there's still time to enter the new YRA Doublehanded series beginning 11/21. It currently lists 21 entries.

Please post your race experiences and photos in this thread, so we can make the couch-sitters jealous!
    Last edited by BobJ; 11-13-2021 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Lots to report from yesterday's race but I'm hoping someone else will go first.
    Name:  Surprise! Berkeley midwin.png
Views: 471
Size:  575.1 KB

Gorgeous day with plenty of wind to get around the 8 nm course. DM and I might have beaten Ted and Pretty Penny by correcting out because he just wasn't trying hard, except ... [excuse du jour here] I thought the wind was dying so I raised the spinnaker, but the spinnaker? She had other ideas: Got all excited because she'd been let out, wrapped herself around the forestay. Sigh. I tried sailing downwind, shaking and shaking, but then we were getting pretty close to the remains of the Berkeley pier so I called it, pulled her down into the cabin. Finished, but only after calling the RC boat, reminding them that we were still on the course.

The exciting bit? Because DM's engine is still ... recalcitrant ... we sailed out of her slip and then back into it. Easy peasy if you've got help from Bob and Mr Hedgehog, catching her in what was then a downwind slip.

It takes friends to go out there and point the way!

What a great fall day. I had done some prep on Saturday to make Sunday. Pretty Penny had been full of tools, old sails and old lines with still more to unload. Panda and I are playing started replacing the forestay and 2 halyards but we haven't completed either yet. UPS dropped off new ST-2000 autohelm and remains uninstalled in sticking out of the galley sink. (Over the days I begun to think a Pelagic would be a better install since I have visions of doing the long pac and the May YRA 150 miler.) This first midwinters race was about figuring things out. Obviously I am not as bright as everyone else and had downloaded the Friday night Berkeley courses for the midwinter races. They were useless and it became nearly comical as I followed SSS boats around like a lost puppy looking for clues. Jackie is right about me taking it easy. Last week I broke 2 toes and maybe a bone in my foot - I am not my usual springy self. I had the chicken chute symmetrical and a-sail ready to hoist from the hatch but when the wind indicator said 18 I thought the 130 headsail was nearly plenty.

I watched Bob and the rest take off on the far side of the starting line and I played it close thinking I would catch them at the mark they were heading. They leaders took off and made minutes on me. At least i knew where the first mark was. as I headed west I saw DM and Jackie ahead and so I followed her. there was another mark to the north west I saw other boats going to so i split the difference between jackie and the other mark. a few minutes later Jackie hit a wind shadow and tacked towards the correct mark. I closed on her and she graciously pointed me in the right direction with what looked like an Atlanta Braves chop salute. I followed DM around and knew then it was a windward leeward run back past the committee boat to the first mark. I did not raise a spin and sailed under white sails. By the time I made the San Francisco bound mark I was gaining time but not anything that would bring me closer to the leaders.

Over the day from Alameda to the race and wondering sailing home I covered 48 miles. The weather was super. Had wind all the way home passing Jack London Square. Tired and happy - I was home in Fortman by 4:45. Saw Don and Zeehound putting away his boat. talked to him about his double handed session and best way to run the race. All in all a great Fall day. I certainly will be out there next month and more competitive. Like I said in the beginning - It takes friends to go out there and point the way!

Big shout out to Jackie, Don, BYC and the rest of you out there that made this an exceptional day.
    Without friends, none of this would be possible.

"Last week I broke 2 toes and maybe a bone in my foot - I am not my usual springy self."

Having broken 2 toes between B dock and a piling in Monterey three summers ago, I can warn you now, that springiness will be surprisingly elusive for a while. But after you do heal, the new weather forecasting abilities will be some slight consolation.
    The Sea is my Church; the Boat is my Pew.

"Weather forecasting abilities" because when it's cold the toes are stiffer? Ted, I'm impressed you would race with those injuries - you must have really wanted to be out there!

Part of the rationale in purchasing Surprise! was that as a cruising boat, she would be raced more casually, dialed back, taking it easy. I confess this philosophy hasn't been well-applied, and especially not last Sunday. It was a short course full of boats racing full crew, DH and SH, with lots of crossing and passing situations, pinch points getting around the ends of the restricted start/finish line, and enough wind to be racing at full speed. It was not a relaxing day and I had words with a couple boats. No "blue" words, but words.

But before that... The wind was sufficient for Dura Mater to sail off E-Dock sans engine but it was coming from an unfavorable direction. A strong push got her out into the fairway with enough room to turn downwind, and she was literally off to the races. It was great to see Al Germain and Bandicoot out racing again. Welcome back Al - we've missed you out there. And during the pre-start I welcomed Pretty Penny to the "varnish division."

The singlehanders were the last division to start and as Ted described, we had the benefit of watching the boats ahead. Despite my best efforts I was a bit early and started well down the short line. After trimming in and getting settled I realized I was already overstood - a wind shift and the super-short windward leg was a wake-up call. I was able to hold off Bandicoot on the close reach into the windward mark and around we went.

The usual spinnaker sock issues delayed getting back up to speed but the wind direction was favorable for the asymmetric kite - we got around the end of the S/F line and down to the leeward mark pretty quickly. I unrolled the jib, dealt with traffic, socked the kite, dealt with traffic, got up to the foredeck and started lowering the socked kite into the hatch. It jammed somewhere and I could only get it 1/3 down (I hate that thing!) so I sailed the windward leg with it hanging behind the jib. Thought I: "At least the next hoist will be quicker."

I took too long deciding which end of the restricted line to pass and ended up overstood to get around the leeward end, but that was better than two tacks to get up and around the windward end. Bandicoot was overstood even more so I gained a bit there. Soon I was on the layline to the windward mark, I tacked and started contemplating the mess on the foredeck.

It was another slow set as the sock did it's constipation thing - I had to go forward 3-4 times to pull out more sail (I hate that thing!) Meanwhile that huge, fully-eased main on Bandicoot was getting larger. Just the main - no jib, no kite, no problems!

About the time I got the kite filled and we were rolling along, Zeehond called over for more room to get around the end of the restricted line. Initially I mistook this for an attempt to take me up and since he was doublehanded (in a different division) I didn't respond well - sorry Donn. This was a precursor to an exchange a few minutes later at the leeward mark. I intended to douse early but was rapidly gaining on a boat at the back of the fully-crewed fleet. There was plenty of room to pass them to leeward and their kite was already doused, so I bore away and headed for the mark. They bore away to cut me off. I still had room so I turned to pass them to windward. The helmsperson looked back at me and started coming up! So I yelled over that I was singlehanded and needed to get my kite down. I realize that gave me no rights, but seriously? You're in a different division and there's zero benefit to pulling this stuff and creating a potential collision.

I got the kite down, albeit with its foot still dragging in the water, but it took a while to get the jib unrolled and trimmed. Bandicoot was right there and I thought he saved his time, but not quite. Then it took me a while to wind down.

Not your normal "it was a lovely day" race report but there you go. I'm curious to know what Ted and Donn concluded about the "best way to run the race." I have some thoughts, especially with regard to putting mixed fleets on these short courses. The RC chose Course 2 which is stated to be 8 nm long, but based on the elapsed times I'll guess it was only 4-5 nm long - not nearly long enough for Sunday's conditions and having all the boats on the same course. There was one bad collision, IMO mostly because of the course layout and mixing the fleets.
    Last edited by BobJ; 11-21-2021 at 01:11 PM.

"because when it's cold the toes are stiffer?"

No, they ache when the pressure drops.