Thread: Drysuit question

Default Drysuit question

Does anyone use one? Any comments or suggestions?

A kayaker friend of mine uses his (brand: Kokatat) every time we go out... it looks great. The trick seems to be choosing the right layering underneath -- too much, you sweat and the sweat is trapped all day. Too little and the thing won't really help you if you go in the water (unlike a wetsuit, the drysuit provides no insulation -- that is determined by what you wear underneath). Of course, you can layer up _over_ the drysuit, but (again) that won't help in the water. Other than the sweat issue, the hassle of getting the thing open to relieve yourself seems like the biggest issue. For something like the SHTP, it also seems like a hassle to put on/take off regularly (as opposed to a one-day race where you just put it on at the beginning and take it off at the end)... maybe then one just saves it for extended bad weather. In any case, there are a number of ways water can get inside foul weather gear (and for sure if one ends up overboard)... whereas a drysuit would keep you ok in a greater range of circumstances.

Any comments on experience with drysuits / how you have found they work best (or don't work well) / brands that work well in the sailing context, what insulation you layer underneath and what over, one-vs-two-part suits, etc. would be appreciated. I'm trying to figure out if this is worth the effort (as opposed to new foulie bottoms, as mine have hit their sell-by date and new (good) ones are a significant fraction of the price of a drysuit).

Many thanks!

-----------
    PS: at least Sleddog here clearly uses one (brand: Mustang Survival); c.f. post #1489 and others in
    https://www.sfbaysss.org/forum/showt...4-Sled/page149
    "For those who can afford them, dry suits have changed sailing. With fleece underneath, you are warm, dry, and out of the environment in a drysuit , even going upwind in 40 knots of apparent wind."

My sailing experience started on SF Bay in the 1980’s. It took a decade of experimenting and a solution was found. One piece polypropolene bib overalls and foul weather tops and bottoms. After wearing cotton underwear once and coming back with a cold butt, wicking undergarments were always used. The other options tried were wool sailors pants and jackess, and various assorted foul weather jackets and overalls.

In 1990, I moved to So CA and could sail in shorts and light tops most of the time.

When considering the R2AK on a Moore 24, I purchased an Ocean Rodeo Soul drysuit. The suits sell for around $1,000 and are now sold through Mustang Survival. The wrists are always cuffed. The neck is an optional cuff to allow ventilation in milder conditions. A crotch zipper is included. The attached jacket is like typical sailing gear in comparison to the drysuits used by kayakers.

It seems the difference between a sailing suit and a kayaking suit would be the thickness or durability of outer covering. Kayaker make contact with water, while sailors are making contact with rigging, lifelines, and a lot of other hard objects.

I still have the poly overalls and use them when needed.

Ants

This company will rent.
    Part of rental fee goes toward purchase.
    https://www.kayakacademy.com/product...ry-suit-rental
    May be good when a lot of water washing over you… but too hot otherwise.
    Even though SF Bay has high wind reputation, there is a lot of time in little wind baking.
    Todd Olsen
    WATERWINGS- Corsair F31RS Trimaran
    GWENDOLYN- Olson 29

Many thanks to both of you; the comments are much appreciated.

Todd: I had already found kayakacademy, but not realized the rental thing; thank & I may try it.

Ants: Thanks also; do you ever use it outside of your R2AK time, or is it mostly too hot as Ants suggests?

On which note, do either of you have a sense of whether the goretex suits mitigate the 'too hot' issue very well? My friend's is impermeable, and I am not sure how much the breathability really helps.

PS: I tend to run cold, and often (on SFBay) am wearing full foul weathergear plus fleece and heavyweight polypro bottoms. My plan wouldn't be to use a drysuit all the time (I have workable foulies), but on nastier days and especially when going outside the Golden Gate when it is cold, grey, and windy. The suit just has to work ok for that, not the warm days on the bay when (full disclosure) I sometimes wear jeans and a T-shirt.

I have considered trying a drysuit.

I am comfortable on cold days with merino wool base, fleece and foulies.
    However I heat up quickly when active, changing sails, hoisting kites, and appreciate being able to ventilate quickly by opening coat and bibs.
    When it's really wet in the cockpit having the hood up and cuffs tight helps a lot.
    I think Merino is warmer and wicks moisture away better than synthetics.

I remember looking at an Ocean Rodeo drysuit that looked pretty good at being able to vent readily.

Daydreamer said >> I remember looking at an Ocean Rodeo drysuit that looked pretty good at being able to vent readily.

I have one and cant live without it. It was designed for kitesurfing originally. You can wear it in hot mode without pulling the collar over your head or in cold mode fully sealed. It is absolutely bulletproof. Way better than anything current from Musto or HH. My suit was called the Ignite, see here: https://mustangsurvival.com/collecti...ry-suit-msd383

Mustang bought the Ocean Rodeo drysuit business and they no longer sell the Ignite but they have 3 other models and I think the Go is closest to the Ignite.

I have no idea whats going on at Mustang. They seems to drop & discontinue their best products, the absolutely bullet-proof stuff, and are moving towards the Musto and Helly Hansen model, sportswear with marine as a side business. They do make a lot of fantastic stuff for the military and professionals and I wish they would keep that going for the rest of us.

Mike on EOS
    Last edited by GBR3068; 02-21-2024 at 11:46 AM.