Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Berkeley Sunday Midwinters

Since 3BF is a pursuit race, I hope I see Barcanova only because you're sailing in the opposite direction.

Nothing personal of course!
    Last edited by BobJ; 01-13-2021 at 05:47 PM.

I will probably conclude that if I am sailing in the opposite direction from you, I am sailing the wrong way.

Which is not good, but still probably preferable to not sailing the wrong way, like that time I did this race a few years back in a Moore 24 and went under the Golden Gate six times before calling it quits.

I remember that one. I started and headed directly for Raccoon Strait - I didn't want to get near the Gate. I dropped out when I got close to the rocks at Pt. Cavallo!

Might take out Blackaller first this year. At 1700 it will be ebbing at 4.3 knots at the Gate. If Blackaller is your last mark, you're probably screwed.

Where do you expert locals go for premium tide data?

Growing up on a lake, it's one of those things that I tend to either fail to consider or radically overcompensate for. Got some work to do here!

Here is one link:
    https://l-36.com/sf_current_new2.php

Many local marine businesses print tide and current books and give them to their customers.

I'm no expert but I use AyeTides on my iPhone (from the App Store). They update it frequently and it references a lot of stations around the Bay - some are tide only and some are current.

I also keep one of the little free books in the nav station just in case. Danny has a batch of new 2021's.

When all else fails, I follow Hank or Gordie!

Quote Originally Posted by talonf4u View Post
    Where do you expert locals go for premium tide data?

Growing up on a lake, it's one of those things that I tend to either fail to consider or radically overcompensate for. Got some work to do here!
    The tide books with corresponding current diagram are quite helpful.
    Attending one of Kame's "tide talks" at the bay model helped a bunch. (Though not likely to happen anytime soon)
    Reminded me of watching streams as a kid and that the bay is dynamic like a river on a grand scale.
    Catching those helpful counter currents is just a hoot!

In Thursday's mail, situation-appropriate swag from the BYC Midwinters. I finished second to Paul Sutchek and it was a good series.

Big thanks to veteran Bobbi Tosse and her race committee for making it happen despite the challenges.

I've read that this is the oldest midwinter series on the Bay. I remember when they called it the Berkeley Metros because Oakland's Metropolitan Yacht Club also participated.
    I first raced the series 20 years ago with the red boat and a bunch of friends.

Name:  BMW Swag.JPG
Views: 507
Size:  103.1 KB
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-14-2021 at 09:31 AM.

Nice hat. Not blue, though.

Here's THAT Berkeley Midwinter hat. It's still blue on the inside:

Name:  Jack Hat 1.JPG
Views: 378
Size:  106.9 KBName:  Jack Hat 2.JPG
Views: 493
Size:  67.8 KB

Jack is our first grandbaby. He's eight months old.

Last edited by BobJ; 03-14-2021 at 09:33 AM.