Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Combination steaming/ deck light has gone dark

Default Combination steaming/ deck light has gone dark

Uh, oh. This is the one I have: https://www.aquasignal.com.au/shop/m...head-foredeck/

Up the Napa River I noticed that the bulbs in both parts have died. Yes, they are wired to separate switches. So I have to go up the mast, and it takes me a lonnnngggg time to get up there. Needless to say, I don't want to go up and find that I have the wrong bulbs.

http://marineledshop.com/marine-led-festoon-bulbs

Of course I would prefer to use LED, but maybe this will not be in DM's future? Please advise, Thank you,

It would be unusual for both bulbs to fail at the same time. I would be suspicious that you have a wiring problem. I’d recommend a thorough inspection before going up the mast. How are the connections made at the base of the mast? Are there connectors that may have become loose? Can you check for circuit continuity with a multimeter?

As you know, there are two different bulbs. You most likely have the double dimple (concave end) festoon bulb for the 10W deck light.

• Aqua Signal has re-designed the bulb holder for their Series 25, 12 Volt Navigation Lights, in June 2010, to accommodate a convex style, festoon, 10 Watt bulb
    • All Aqua Signal Series 25 Navigation lights manufactured after June 2010 have a “New Style” bulb - Model 90203 Aqua Signal bulb
    • Please note that for Series 25 lights manufactured before June 2010, use this "Old Style" Aqua Signal bulbs.

Follow these links for the part numbers specific to the Series 25 combination fixture:
    https://www.defender.com/product3.js...2567&id=928833

https://www.defender.com/product3.js...567&id=1123162

I think Ancor makes a 44mm LED double dimple festoon.
    Last edited by Dazzler; 11-11-2020 at 03:47 PM.
    Tom P.

Hi Jackie,
    Thanks for the kind words on the other thread. I second Dazzler's analysis regarding the possible faulty connections.
    I do not know how high off the deck your steaming light is. But if not much above the spreaders, you could nip over to the Harbor Masters and ask to borrow an extension ladder. That should get you 20 feet or a bit more off the deck. I rig a halyard to the top of the ladder as a safety, then brace it against the mast and/or spreaders with someone spotting you from below. As a friend advised this morning, "don't look down."
    Last edited by sleddog; 11-11-2020 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    IHi Jackie,
    Thanks for the kind words on the other thread. I second Dazzler's analysis regarding the possible faulty connections.
    I do not know how high off the deck your steaming light is. But if not much above the spreaders, you could nip over to the Harbor Masters and ask to borrow an extension ladder. That should get you 20 feet or a bit more off the deck. I rig a halyard to the top of the ladder as a safety, then brace it against the mast and/or spreaders with someone spotting you from below. As a friend advised this morning, "don't look down."
    Actually, the deck light konked out a year or so ago. Twas in the dark and scawy Napa River that I realized the steaming light had died, too. Poor light. It's eight years old. Time for new bulbs. Extension ladder? Ok. Maybe. The jokes won't be the same,though.

Thanks, Tom. I'll look at Whalepoint first.

Jackie, I replaced my deck & steaming bulbs with led. All work better than the original. Found everything on Amazon by just entering the existing bulb info but in led form. Name:  D1914297-95C1-489A-9D20-47CA13EEC64E.jpeg
Views: 677
Size:  2.02 MB

double dimple festoon...you can't make this stuff up, it's one of the funniest phrases I've ever heard. And I know it's real: I discovered it when researching bulbs for another application.
    Bring a spray can of electronic cleaner and an old toothbrush up the mast with you to clean the bulb contacts. The cleaner cleans and the toothbrush will help remove the green electrolysis without cutting away the plating on the contacts like a steel brush would. SDK

I really should replace my steaming light as well. I've replaced the other fittings and the steaming light fixture itself is toast. I know because I found half of it on deck about a year ago.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

When I put a combo light on the Hawkfarm, the beam spread was fairly narrow, even at 14' off the deck. Almost all the light went down the forward hatch, with spill and ambient, lighting the rest of the bow. I really prefer the combo lights to spreader lights for not blinding the helms-person.
    Shortly after I bought the Beneteau 5+ years ago, on my first trip up the mast, I noticed moisture and moss in the steaming light. While I've changed bow, stern, and cabin lights, all to LED, I've yet to mess with my steaming light. Going up and down the coast this fall, we burned it a lot in daylight because of the fog soup.
    The Sea is my Church; the Boat is my Pew.

Quote Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
    When I put a combo light on the Hawkfarm, the beam spread was fairly narrow, even at 14' off the deck. Almost all the light went down the forward hatch, with spill and ambient, lighting the rest of the bow. I really prefer the combo lights to spreader lights for not blinding the helms-person.
    Shortly after I bought the Beneteau 5+ years ago, on my first trip up the mast, I noticed moisture and moss in the steaming light. While I've changed bow, stern, and cabin lights, all to LED, I've yet to mess with my steaming light. Going up and down the coast this fall, we burned it a lot in daylight because of the fog soup.
    I propose a double dimple festoon festival where all double dimple festoon fans can gather and replace their fawlty festoons.