Thread: Virtual Emergency Rudder Seminar

Default Virtual Emergency Rudder Seminar

Is in the works.... look for more announcements soon, but should happen in late January or early February and of course will be a zoom meeting.

It should include video presentations of a couple of SSS's regulars setups,
    a document from me, about my low-tech DIY setup
    and material from several commercial suppliers.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Tentative Date: Wednesday, February 24th....via ZOOM.

The plan is to have the following...

At least two video'd demonstrations of SSS members deploying their e-rudders. (one is being shot this weekend, Bob on Surprise!, the other one is pending)
    links to video of at least one other SSS member deploying their e-rudders. (me, on YouTube!)
    Links to download my own personal write up of how I made my DIY rudder at home...extracted from the SSS forum.
    Live stories from at least two SSS member who have had to deploy e-rudders at sea, with Q&A time afterwards. (Max Crittenden is one...)
    Presentation from Giles Combrisson from GC Marine about his custom e-rudder product (confirmed, Thanks Giles!)

Discussion of the practicality of carrying a spare, complete rudder and deploying it at sea (after watching Pip Hare's recent Vendee video)
    Links to a number of local, California sites that manufacture and sell e-rudder solutions
    Review and ~possibly~ a discussion of the WindPilot companies solution, designed for the 2018 Golden Globe (https://windpilot.com/n/wind/en/prod/sosr)
    Last edited by AlanH; 01-14-2021 at 01:06 PM.

Proposed schedule ..proposed! Not set in stone!

SSS Emergency Rudder Seminar

First Hour

Introduction - basic principles and requirements: Alan Hebert.... 7.5 minutes. (Confirmed)

Video: Bob Johnston and Dave Herrigel, deploying rudders made by Greg Nelson... 7.5 minutes (Confirmed)

Speaker: Gordy Nash …photos and speaking about his rudders ... 10 minutes (Confirmed)

Speaker: Giles Combrisson, GC composites. ...10 minutes (Confirmed)

Real-Life experiences at Sea: Max Crittenden, deploying an e-rudder coming back from the Farallones ... 10 minutes. (Confirmed)

Real Life experiences at Sea: Brian Boschma or Rob MacFarlane … 10 minutes

— approximately 55-60 minutes —

Break / Discussion: other alternatives: drogues, poles with hatchboards lashed to the backstay, other deployment experiences, etc. I hope Tom B. will talk about the practicality or lack thereof of actually replacing a rudder at sea, as I've seen him do it, solo, in the slip. ...15 minutes

Second Hour

Making a low tech DIY emergency rudder, with downloadable instructions .. Alan Hebert. 10 minutes (Confirmed)

Presentation of WindPilots emergency rudder system, with links, very quick…. Alan Hebert.. 5 minutes (Confirmed))

Scanmar Monitor sleeve and getting your autopilot to drive your e-rudder Brian Boschma. 10 minutes ( he volunteered!...but not confirmed yet)

Speaker: Scanmar Marine SOS rudder and Monitor attachment .. 10 minutes (not confirmed yet)

Approximately 35-40 minutes

Total: about 120 minutes

Discussion to follow…

=======================

Also possible, Chris Case with some video of his system, which instead of a cassette is a "rotate down" system like the Scanmar SOS rudder. I also hope to have some discussion about the Autohelm self steering system, and the Hydrovane as well. Both of them have appendages in the water which, depending on the boat, most likely can be used as emergency rudders.
    Last edited by AlanH; 01-19-2021 at 12:58 PM.

Alan - sent you a private message.

- rob/beetle

The schedule is getting firmed up. Here's where we are, right now.

SSS Emergency Rudder Seminar
    Wednesday February 24th, 7:00 PM via ZOOM
    (URL to follow)

First Hour

Introduction - basic principles and requirements: Alan Hebert.... 7.5 minutes. (Confirmed)

Video: Bob Johnston and Dave Herrigel, deploying rudders made by Greg Nelson... 7.5 minutes (Confirmed)

Speaker: Gordy Nash …photos and speaking about his rudders ... 10 minutes (Confirmed)

Speaker: Giles Combrisson, GC composites. ...10 minutes (Confirmed)

Real-Life experiences at Sea: Max Crittenden, deploying an e-rudder coming back from the Farallones ... 10 minutes. (Confirmed)

Real Life experiences at Sea:* Rob MacFarlane, SHTP e-rudder deployment … 10 minutes* (confirmed)

— approximately 55-60 minutes —

Break / Discussion: other alternatives:* poles with hatchboards lashed to the backstay, other deployment experiences, etc. I hope Tom B. will talk about the practicality or lack thereof of actually replacing a rudder at sea, as I've seen him do it, solo, in the slip. ...15 minutes

Second Hour

Making a low tech DIY emergency rudder, with downloadable instructions .. Alan Hebert. 10 minutes (Confirmed)

Presentation of WindPilots emergency rudder system, with links, very quick…. Alan Hebert.. 5 minutes (Confirmed)

Fiorentino Shark Drogue...e-steering with a drogue. 10 minutes...Zack from Fiorentino* (confirmed)

Getting your autopilot to drive your e-rudder Brian Boschma... 10 minutes ( he volunteered!...but not confirmed yet)

Speaker: Scanmar Marine SOS rudder and Monitor attachment .. 10 minutes (confirmed)

Approximately 45-50 minutes

Total: about 120 minutes +/-

Discussion to follow…
    Last edited by AlanH; 01-28-2021 at 01:16 PM.

I see that the 3-Bridge Fiasco awards meeting and the Corinthian race skippers meeting has been scheduled for Wednesday February 24th. I'm not ready to put this thing on earlier than that, and delaying it much more renders it pretty useless in terms of providing actual information for skippers to use to plan their system for 2021. I just don't want to go back to everybody and try to find another date so I'm just going to cancel it. The video from the last activity is available, see Jackie's set of URL's, and tons of information from past seminars is available on the SSS website.

Emergency Rudder Seminar is cancelled!

carry on!
    Last edited by AlanH; 02-10-2021 at 12:43 PM.

Dave and I spent the better part of a day setting up for your visit and video. Chris too. Could you post that part?

Sure, Bob. I 'll edit that stuff and get it up on Vimeo or YouTube.