Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SSS survey has been launched thru Jibeset

Default SSS survey has been launched thru Jibeset

All,
    A survey has been rolled out to members & race participants. The board would like your input to help decide a few things. Primarily, it asks about powered winches and power assisted sailing. If you registered for a race or were a member in the past 2 years, you will receive an invitation from Jibeset with an embedded survey link.

If you feel you've been left off, check your spam, trash or "All mail" folders before contacting me.
    commodore@sfbaysss.org.

Thank you,

Joe Balderrama
    Express 27 "Archimedes"
    SSS Commodore

Joe good job. I just took the SSS survey on Jibeset. As a former Race Chair I like the idea of using Berkeley Circle as a start and finish for the Three Bridge Fiasco. My thinking is Pro’s, less current at start waiting for the wind to fill. More room around the start and finish & restricted box to both sides of the line. Spreads the fleet out before city front commercial traffic. Except for tradition can’t think of any Con’s...Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Lightspeed View Post
    I just took the SSS survey on Jibeset. As a former Race Chair I like the idea of using Berkeley Circle as a start and finish for the Three Bridge Fiasco. My thinking is Pro’s, less current at start waiting for the wind to fill. More room around the start and finish & restricted box to both sides of the line. Spreads the fleet out before city front commercial traffic. Except for tradition can’t think of any Con’s...Rick
    I haven't seen the SSS survey, so I do not know what the question(s) were.

At least one potential issue for finishing Three Bridge Fiasco on the Berkeley Circle is can the Race Committee boat remain on station while RC tracks down the problem-boats that did not check-out from the course? (e.g., checked-in, started, and then DNF'd and didn't let RC know they were dropping out). Historically there have been a small number of boats (less than 10 some years) that didn't tell us they abandoned the race and went home - RC would then spend 2-3 hours tracking them down via telephone to verify they were at the dock, safe, and accounted for. Having RC on the boat all day means that you can't swap in/out RC members through the day. Probably can't conveniently videotape the start/finish either, depending on how bouncy the RC boat is.

It's relatively easy to do the above at Golden Gate YC, it might be an entirely different matter on a windy cold night out on the Berkeley Circle.

On the plus side, VHF communications might be improved from an RC boat on station at Berkeley Circle.

Moving the start away from the City Front does change the dynamics of which way to go - unlikely many boats would still aim for Blackaller, and instead the start becomes TI or Red Rock first?

- rob/beetle

Rob, great points. Good to hash this out early as SSS TBF is not just another race but for many the first intro to shorthanded sailing. I am “assuming” GGYC may be closed or limited occupancy so RC may need to be in remote mode anyway in 2021.

I am not a tech guy but seems like SSS could create a link (internet or other) from RC boat to a land RC. And yes, it is a long race with lots of eyes needed so may be an RC shuttle boat will be needed or a second RC boat on either end of the pin would be supper!

On the flip side as a racer, it will be fun to have a new direction and wind challenge. I am in either way. Would be good to hear from old racers, new racers & race deck before deciding...Rick

You end up having to call some skippers anyway. Of course the Circle start will be the singlehanders and they're the salt of the earth - they wouldn't dream of not calling in their DNF!

We didn't have check-ins for the 2014 3BF and things ran remarkably smoothly, even with only one finisher out of 357 entries! SSS may be the only club that insists on having check-ins for Bay races. It's purely a feel-good thing - not necessary.
    Last edited by BobJ; 01-03-2021 at 09:13 PM.

Mixed feelings on SSS checkin’s. Out the Gate SHF, DB & HMB I felt was needed for USCG & to sleep well as Race Chair. In the Bay however, just thinks of how many people sail the Bay unsupervised every day! TBF is unique not so much for out the gate safety but just for trying to account for all the entrants. Rick

BAMA, OYRA, & the SSS all require check-ins for ocean races. OYRA includes a requirement for the number of crew onboard that must match a boat's Jibeset entry number. There is a C.G. requirement to account for all boats by the end of the permit period. In my experience in-Bay races vary. The Sausalito YC requires beer can boat to sail by their committee boat and visually/orally check in. The Corinthian YC requires check-ins and for their recent "Fall Series" expanded radio check-ins to include a cell phone check-in. They both require a "check out" if a boat doesn't finish. The idea of a telephone check-in might be explored. I'm sure the CYC would be happy to share their experience.

Having run several early 3-Bridges here are some random thoughts. The height/elevation of the GGYC race deck allows a chance to see overlapped boats; a water-level view doesn't. Even the parking lot in from of the GGYC (when the SSS couldn't use the GGYC deck) is elevated. A video camera on a boat is a moving viewer as opposed to a stationary camera onshore. Will the SSS always be able to secure an adequate committee boat for a OC line? And will that boat's VHF be working well? How many race committee folks are there? And what size boat?

An OC Start will dramatically change 3-Bridge strategies. Red Rock will become the "new" Blackaller for a 1st mark?

The survey suggestion is not to move the start from the city front but to have TWO separate starting areas, one for DH @ GGYC and one for Singlehanded on the BYC. I said stick with the traditional start for the reasons stated...... especially the difficulty of having a boat on station all day.
    Last edited by solosailor; 01-04-2021 at 10:28 AM.

A technical correction to my post. The CYC used TEXT check-ins, not a verbal phone call. Pat B.

I voted that I didn't have a strong opion about splitting the start. However, if one start/finish was at the north end of Treasure Island, near the little cove/launch ramp, there's a fair bit of parking and open space there. A pop-up tent could be set up behind some cars, and a temporary buoy set 100 yards off the shore. Also, a couple hundred yards south along the east shore of TI, there's a parking area at the end of 13th street with room for a couple of cars and a tent.

Also on TI, near the intersection of Avenue N. and 3rd street ther'es quite a bit of parking on the side of Avenue N. and there's even a picnic table in the trees. Cars can be parked and a tent set up.. Setting up a temporary buoy 100 yards off the shore shouldn't be too difficult.

I have a table and a pop-up 10 x 10 tent that the SSS can borrow. Just make sure that the tent is weighted down!

Also a pretty heavy-duty, not "pop-up" (it takes some assembly) 10 x 10 tent with sides is < $100 on ebay. I've put these up, though not in 30 knots of wind, and it takes two people about 30-45 minutes to get the thing up and going.

Race Marks...

https://www.etpracemarks.com/standar...op-race-marks/

around $300 but easy to store.
    or just a really big orange fender.... about $350 at WM.
    Last edited by AlanH; 01-04-2021 at 12:18 PM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"