Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SSS survey has been launched thru Jibeset

I'm not racing singlehanded in the Fiasco but if I did I'd want the GGYC start/finish. If it were anywhere else it wouldn't be such a puzzle. Thanks Ants!

I tend to agree. Unless your boat rates 129 or 150 the GGYC start isn't TOO bad.

Or I have amnesia...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Gutoff View Post
    I'm not racing singlehanded in the Fiasco but if I did I'd want the GGYC start/finish. If it were anywhere else it wouldn't be such a puzzle. Thanks Ants!
    Thanks Jonathan!

The Three Bridge Fiasco bring endless satisfaction - year after year!

Ants

Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post
    The survey suggestion is not to move the start from the city front but to have TWO separate starting areas, one for DH @ GGYC and one for Singlehanded on the BYC.
    From the jibeset race entry data, in 2020 35 out of 317 boats were singlehanded, in 2019 44 out of 333 boats, in 2018 34 out of 359 entries.

I suggest that there are two reasons to NOT move the Three Bridge Fiasco singlehanded division to an alternative start line:

1. the start is already staggered as it is a reverse PHRF start spread over several hours, you don't have all 317+ boats headed off the line at once.

2. it's not worth the effort to segregate 11% (on average) of the fleet - the gains in perceived safety as a result of fleet separation (given the fleet is already separated at the start by PHRF value) are not worth the effort to put a committee boat and RC in the Berkeley Circle for the duration of the race while an entire other RC is set up at GGYC.

The problem with Dave Herrigel's boat ocurred in Corinthian Race and is not relevant to Three Bridge Fiasco. The Corinthian race in 2020 put all boats on a common course (Three Bridge Fiasco does not do this) and the starts combine clumps of singlehanders and doublehanders by PHRF at 5 minute intervals (which Three Bridge does not do - the start times are spread out). That said, you don't want doublehanders being so competively over-amped that they drive a singlehander in to the rocks (for that matter, you don't want the reverse to happen either); this would be something to remind the fleet of at the skipper's meeting - "Give each other a break, everyone is sailing short-handed, some shorter than others, and this yacht race is not worth breaking your boat over".

- rob/beetle

To your points:

1. It's not just the start. The riskiest and most intimidating situation is when you have to short-tack solo up around Pier 39 from YBI, or up the City front towards Blackaller, with a bunch of double-handers, especially those racing in one of the large OD fleets. They are aggressive and in my experience they don't give singlehanders much consideration, assuming they even notice we're singlehanded. Starting on the Berkeley Circle makes it far less likely that singlehanders will encounter large numbers of double-handers at the above pressure points. It's possible we'd encounter them going in the opposite direction but then tacking duels wouldn't be an issue. So yes, this is directly relevant to what happened to Hedgehog and to what has happened to me with the Express 27s.

2. The goal of the change would be to give singlehanders priority and encourage more of them to participate. SH participation in the 3BF is low because the GGYC start and the above pressure points are difficult and risky for singlehanded skippers, especially if they have to start at the same time as one of the large OD fleets.

It would be helpful if 3BF skippers were reminded of these issues at the skippers' meeting, but the majority of them don't attend.

Rob, I realize it has been many years since you encountered these issues on the water - they are not apparent from the race deck.

"We are considering using Berkeley Circle as a separate start/finish line for Singlehanded entries. This will help race committee members stay physically distanced for Covid."
    Sounds reasonable.

Return to the original format in 22.

The issues of having a committee boat bobbing around on the Berkeley Circle are valid issues. At the GGYC, someone can show up early in the morning for race committee, work until 11:00 or so and leave. Another crew can show up around 2:00 or 3:00 and stay until 7:00 and finish boats. Except for the Race Chair and maybe one or two others, it's not a 12-hour commitment. But if you're sitting on a committee boat on the Berkeley Circle, you're stuck for 12 hours. I, personally wouldn't volunteer for that, but I've volunteered for morning or evening slots at the GGYC many times.

If you run a start line off of the east side of Treasure Island, people can come and go, just like they can at the GGYC. Also, it's pretty darned hard to stay physically distanced on a boat....ANY boat unless it's a 40+ footer. On land, it's easy.

IF...in fact the Board decides to split the singlehanders from the doublehanders. IF. Whether that's necessary for the 3BF, I'm not gonna comment on.
    Last edited by AlanH; 01-06-2021 at 11:03 AM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"