Thread: communications question

Default communications question

Back in 2008, I rented an Iridium sat phone and set it up to be used as a modem on my Windows XP laptop. I set up the phone as a modem on my laptop, and dialed into ...I forget where, but it might have been the Stanford modem pool. I could then compose long e-mails on the laptop, connect and send a long e-mail back to the RC to post on the race website....worked a treat. I felt very savvy.

However, it appears that those days are gone. Stanford no longer has a modem pool, and my home ISP, Sonic.net doesn't have a dial-in pool any more, either. Now I feel like a dinosaur!

However, I now have a Garmin InReach. I can link my Android tablet to the InReach via bluetooth, but it seems like I'm limited to SMS-message-sized messages. I will probably rent an Iridium satellite phone for SHTP because I want to TALK...actual voice TALK to Joan a couple of times during the race, as well as phone in a position now and then. Is there a way to still use the rented Iridium phone to send e-mail? I'd rather not buy an Iridium GO! as once the race is over I'll have totally no use for it ever again.

EDIT: I'm shocked...I was wrong. Sonic.net does still have local dial-in modems in Palo Alto and Redwood City.
    Last edited by AlanH; 01-08-2021 at 01:38 AM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Looks like you can rent an Iridium GO! at the SatPhoneStore.com...and the GO! allows voice calls as well as data?

I would consider renting an actual waterproof Iridium phone vs. the IridiumGo. If your tablet or phone craps out you can't use it for calls so you're have some actual redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post
    I would consider renting an actual waterproof Iridium phone vs. the IridiumGo. If your tablet or phone craps out you can't use it for calls so you're have some actual redundancy.
    I'll have one tablet and two old Android phones on board, just because they've got GPS's in 'em and I loaded on OpenCPN and a free GPS app. So they function just like a handheld mapping GPS but also with wireless and bluetooth. However, as you point out, should the two phones both fail, the IridiumGo is just a functionless box, whereas the iridium phone at least allows me to call in my position once a day.

I used an iridium go with an iPhone in a waterproof case along with an iPad in a water resistant case.
    Worked well for voice calls, some drop outs but usually got a better connection on second try.
    Great for texting, email and downloading gribs.

A bit fiddly to set up but seamless when done.
    Actually setting up and getting ribs was the most difficult process.

Also had an inreach for tracking, sign of life coms and backup coms.

I installed a couple dual usb power ports to be able to plug everything in.
    All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it is vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence