Thread: 3BF update

Default 3BF update

LATEST NEWS
    1/08/2021
    3 Bridge Fiasco Update
    After discussing and considering the current Covid-19 situation & compliance with the Regional Stay-At-Home Order, the SSS board has decided to change the upcoming Three Bridge Fiasco race to Singlehanded-ONLY and will not have a Doublehanded division.

The decision was reached by taking into consideration the risks for the needed additional race committee personnel as well as issues with having boats race with mixed households onboard.

Additionally, there will be a limitation of 125 entries.

As we look forward to running our traditional, well attended Singlehanded and Doublehanded remaining races in 2021, no definitive decision can be made regarding DH entries in future races. That will be evaluated based on the state of COVID restriction in place at that time.

We expect registration to open within the next couple of days. It will be announced here, across the SSS platforms and on Jibeset.

Thank you for your patience!

Meanwhile, to help prepare you for your first Singlehanded race, reach out to the SSS forum members or check the Resources link for “Thoughts, Tips, Techniques and Tactics for Singlehanded Sailing,” by Andrew Evans.

Joe Balderrama
    SSS Commodore

Thanks Joe and the board for weeding through the bureaucracy. I won't be racing singlehanded in the Fiasco but will sign up for the season. I urge those who can afford it to support the SSS and YRA by signing up and paying for 2021 even with limited racing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Gutoff View Post
    Thanks Joe and the board for weeding through the bureaucracy. I won't be racing singlehanded in the Fiasco but will sign up for the season. I urge those who can afford it to support the SSS and YRA by signing up and paying for 2021 even with limited racing.
    Ironically going back to the SSS roots. I agree with Jonathan still a great value for racers, although the SSS budget will miss a lot of you Express & Moore racers...

When the 3-Bridge hit 100 entries we wondered how we'd manage the race. The next year almost every boat finished within 15 minutes! I think there were around 125. Terry and I huddled in front of her TV, running the VCR tape deck back and forth trying to pick out that Cal 20 "hiding" behind that Cal 40 with another Cal 20 finishing from the other direction being overtaken by another large sail -- all day Sunday. And then after hours and hours, going back and "finding" boats unaccounted for, but who reported finishing by identifying a boat they reported they finished behind, ahead of, or next to after we called them on the phone (which had a cord). On Monday I brought the tape to the Santa Rosa J.C. audio-visual department where they had a Television Studio deck with slow/stop motion in a effort to figure out the final few finishers. After a Tuesday afternoon meeting with Terry at her Fireman's Fund office in Novato, we typed up the results and I stopped by Kinkos to print and arrived home where Nancy (my wife, not the boat) was sticking labels and stamps on envelopes. In the end everyone agreed with our sorting out, but remember results arrived by mail 3 or 4 days later.

I agree that SSS is the best bargain in sailboat racing on the Bay. Run by dedicated, loyal volunteers the SSS deserves our memberships, even if the racing season is limited by COVID-19. We need it to be there when things get back to what we used to call "normal."

Quote Originally Posted by Wylieguy View Post
    When the 3-Bridge hit 100 entries we wondered how we'd manage the race. The next year almost every boat finished within 15 minutes! I think there were around 125. Terry and I huddled in front of her TV, running the VCR tape deck back and forth trying to pick out that Cal 20 "hiding" behind that Cal 40 with another Cal 20 finishing from the other direction being overtaken by another large sail -- all day Sunday. And then after hours and hours, going back and "finding" boats unaccounted for, but who reported finishing by identifying a boat they reported they finished behind, ahead of, or next to after we called them on the phone (which had a cord). On Monday I brought the tape to the Santa Rosa J.C. audio-visual department where they had a Television Studio deck with slow/stop motion in a effort to figure out the final few finishers. After a Tuesday afternoon meeting with Terry at her Fireman's Fund office in Novato, we typed up the results and I stopped by Kinkos to print and arrived home where Nancy (my wife, not the boat) was sticking labels and stamps on envelopes. In the end everyone agreed with our sorting out, but remember results arrived by mail 3 or 4 days later.

I agree that SSS is the best bargain in sailboat racing on the Bay. Run by dedicated, loyal volunteers the SSS deserves our memberships, even if the racing season is limited by COVID-19. We need it to be there when things get back to what we used to call "normal."
    This description is the type of continuing effort by the race committee to keep the Three Bridge Fiasco a success. The effort is repeated on an annual basis.

Cheers to the race committee and the volunteers!

Ants

Okay, after urging folks to sign up for the SSS I attempted. I also use the SSS as my YRA "yacht club." But I can't find the sign up on Jibeset. Do I have to wait until the 3-Bridge is up? thanks, Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Wylieguy View Post

I wish this forum had a "LIKE" button!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by Submarino View Post
    LATEST NEWS
    1/08/2021
    3 Bridge Fiasco Update
    After discussing and considering the current Covid-19 situation & compliance with the Regional Stay-At-Home Order, the SSS board has decided to change the upcoming Three Bridge Fiasco race to Singlehanded-ONLY and will not have a Doublehanded division.

The decision was reached by taking into consideration the risks for the needed additional race committee personnel as well as issues with having boats race with mixed households onboard.

Additionally, there will be a limitation of 125 entries.

Joe Balderrama
    SSS Commodore
    Thanks Joe and all the leaders of the SF Bay SSS. I'm sorry we can't join you, was going to doublehand it with my daughter (she's a Sr this year, our last try before she's off to college) so we'll be out sailing and will watch. Don't worry, we'll stay out of the way!