Quote Originally Posted by Submarino View Post
Not sure I follow about swing keel. The E27 has a hole at the rudder post top to tie a line thru. Drive the post down enough so that you can can cinch some line around the post below the hull. Tie some weight to it and throw overboard.

Now that I saw the video, I have two methods of removing rudder out of the water. I would save rudder as it may be a repairable back up if the cassette system did not hold. My borrowed cassette system is nice, but the ultra light transom, even reinforced, was not designed for that.
I agree with some of what you just wrote, for sure. Like..."save rudder as it may be a repairable back up if the cassette system did not hold. " Absolutely! You'll need a mess of carbon fiber tubing, or whatever your rudder stock is made from...and foam, and fiberglass and epoxy and a lot of sandpaper, but that would give you at least a chance to make a repair and keep going.

You've got me thinking about what I'd do if my cassette failed. I can't imagine busting my emergency rudder, it's just as beefy as my primary rudder, though a bit smaller. I think maybe that a set of s.s. gudgeons and bolts might be the thing to have on board, "just in case", to go along with the plywood/glass and backup pintle.

the ultra light transom, even reinforced, was not designed for that. ... Yes, but it was designed to hold an outboard motor, flailing around back there, and those are pretty substantial loads.