Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Shtp 2021

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,970

    Default Shtp 2021

    I don't want to be a nag...and I know everybody is busy with 3BF...

    But the main SSS website still says "SHTP 2020" and the associated web page has "2020" all over it. Even this forum subgroup still says "2020 Singlehanded Trans Pacific Yacht Race". The 2020 event was cancelled almost 9 months ago, now. In theory, the 2021 race is now five months away.

    The NOR on Jibeset says 2021...that's good. But it also says that "registration is closed".

    I've now had my third message from people as SA asking about whether there's a 2021 race or not, and wanting to know what is going on. Two told me that they are potential entrants for 2021. We all know that "saying you're a potential entrant" in a msg doesn't mean a darned thing, and that it's happened on SA all the more so, but still....

    Maybe after the 3BF, can we bring things up to date?
    S-2 7.9: "Wildcat of Loch Awe"
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Thanks for your post AllanH. There are a number of people waiting for an update.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,291

    Default

    There's something else in play here as we approach the March 15th go-no-go decision: There are only six boats registered. That's not a "race" worth doing. Last year's ten boats was not a race worth doing.

    If you're planning to race please let the rest of us skippers know. If you don't want it to cost you $150, register with the "pay later" option in Jibeset. But register. I'm holding off on the remaining SER projects, waiting to see if we have a fleet. That entry list is my primary motivation to move forward and I know I'm not alone in that.

    What say you, lurkers?


    Update: One little poke of the bear increased the long-standing six entries to fifteen! With eight days until decision-day, do I hear 17? 17 going once, 17 going twice... Robb Walker, are you out there?
    .
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-07-2021 at 11:28 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,970

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    There's something else in play here as we approach the March 15th go-no-go decision: There are only six boats registered. That's not a "race" worth doing. Last year's ten boats was not a race worth doing.

    If you're planning to race please let the rest of us skippers know. If you don't want it to cost you $150, register with the "pay later" option in Jibeset. But register. I'm holding off on the remaining SER projects, waiting to see if we have a fleet. That entry list is my primary motivation to move forward and I know I'm not alone in that.

    What say you, lurkers?
    i registered. I haven't uploaded all the documents but I've registered.

    And now I'm going to just say what's been boiling inside for about six months. I'm going to say what I've heard from at least half a dozen people including a handful of SHTP veterans.

    COULD WE GET SOMETHING

    SOMETHING... SOMETHING--- UP TO DATE ON THE SSS WEBSITE BESIDES A LINK THAT SAYS SHTP 2020, THAT LEADS TO A COMPLETELY EMPTY 2020 WEBSITE??

    SOMETHING?

    THE RACE IS THREE AND A HALF MONTHS AWAY AND THERE IS NOTHING, WHATSOEVER ON THE SSS WEBSITE ABOUT THE 2021 EVENT!


    This forum subsection even has the wrong name!

    I'm sorry to be an asshole about this, but it's RIDICULOUS. There is zilch. Nothing. NO information AT ALL on the SSS Website about the 2021 Singlehanded TransPac race. The Link on the website goes to the 2020 event, which was cancelled A YEAR AGO. I've heard from people on Sailing Anarchy, wondering what's going on. MY PASTOR AT CHURCH has asked me what's going on. (he's a sailor). The manager at the boatyard I just scheduled a haulout at, who is an SHTP Veteran has asked me and wonders WTF is going on. I don't want to be a dickhead, I'm sorry to make this obnoxious post but if we don't tell people that there's a race, how the fuck are they supposed to know about it? How the hell are they supposed to know how to sign up?

    THE BOARD barely reads the forum, and we expect potential entrants to comb through the forum to find out if the race is happening or not? How is someone from out of town supposed to know to go to Jibeset?

    PLEASE

    Whoever the SSS Webmaster is....PLEASE get SOMETHING current up on the SSS Website!
    Last edited by AlanH; 03-04-2021 at 04:47 AM.
    S-2 7.9: "Wildcat of Loch Awe"
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    37.205346,-121.963398
    Posts
    745

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    i registered. I haven't uploaded all the documents but I've registered.

    And now I'm going to just say what's been boiling inside for about six months. I'm going to say what I've heard from at least half a dozen people including a handful of SHTP veterans.

    COULD WE GET SOMETHING

    SOMETHING... SOMETHING--- UP TO DATE ON THE SSS WEBSITE BESIDES A LINK THAT SAYS SHTP 2020, THAT LEADS TO A COMPLETELY EMPTY 2020 WEBSITE??

    SOMETHING?

    THE RACE IS THREE AND A HALF MONTHS AWAY AND THERE IS NOTHING, WHATSOEVER ON THE SSS WEBSITE ABOUT THE 2021 EVENT!


    This forum subsection even has the wrong name!

    I'm sorry to be an asshole about this, but it's RIDICULOUS. There is zilch. Nothing. NO information AT ALL on the SSS Website about the 2021 Singlehanded TransPac race. The Link on the website goes to the 2020 event, which was cancelled A YEAR AGO. I've heard from people on Sailing Anarchy, wondering what's going on. MY PASTOR AT CHURCH has asked me what's going on. (he's a sailor). The manager at the boatyard I just scheduled a haulout at, who is an SHTP Veteran has asked me and wonders WTF is going on. I don't want to be a dickhead, I'm sorry to make this obnoxious post but if we don't tell people that there's a race, how the fuck are they supposed to know about it? How the hell are they supposed to know how to sign up?

    THE BOARD barely reads the forum, and we expect potential entrants to comb through the forum to find out if the race is happening or not? How is someone from out of town supposed to know to go to Jibeset?

    PLEASE

    Whoever the SSS Webmaster is....PLEASE get SOMETHING current up on the SSS Website!
    Hello ALan.

    Sure - you want to take it on ? You are an IT pro, correct ? It is a wordpress site. I have the credentials in an email that I got last week.

    LEt me know,

    Brian

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,291

    Default

    "This forum subsection even has the wrong name!"

    I've tried to get this simple update done. AFAIK, Rob Macfarlane is the sole remaining forum administrator. He is apparently unwilling to share the necessary credentials, nor even simply change "2020" to "2021." Rob hasn't done an SSS race in ten years and the last I heard, he was living on his boat in Oxnard. I asked Joe, in his role as Commodore, to engage with Rob and get the forum administration transitioned to one or two individuals who are active in the club. That hasn't happened. Rob, you read this forum - what's the problem?

    All this is very frustrating. I just signed up for the Pacific Cup double-handed. It cost me $400 to register. They seemed happy to have my entry and are enthusiastic about their race. Jim Quanci is the Commodore of the PCYC this cycle. There are already about 30 double-handers registered for the race in 2022, including several boats who often race in the SSS. So I'll see more SSS friends at the Kaneohe YC than I would have seen in Hanalei Bay. And that's just wrong.
    .
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-04-2021 at 12:39 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,970

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    Hello ALan.

    Sure - you want to take it on ? You are an IT pro, correct ? It is a wordpress site. I have the credentials in an email that I got last week.

    LEt me know,

    Brian
    We don't need an entire WordPress website yet. There may not be a race. The WordPress site comes later. What we have needed for six months is so simple...it's SO SIMPLE. Just change the Goddamned SSS Splash Page to say SHTP 2021 instead of SHTP 2020. Make it a link to a simple informative HTML page about the race status. This is just not that hard. SOMEONE has the credentials to edit the SSS website, because somehow the 2021 racing calendar got up there.

    WHO IS THE SSS WEBMASTER?


    1. I tried to make a significant contribution to this event already, and because Board members don't read the forum aside from their own posts....on a forum which has been in place for over a decade.... that contribution got "scheduled over" by something else with NO COMMUNICATION WHATSOEVER TO ME about the conflict. Joe called me after the fact, which is something. But both you and Joe KNEW ABOUT THE DATE FOR WEEKS and yet it still happened. Am I frustrated? Gee. Ya think?

    2. HOWEVER. I will happily put up a simple HTML page stating that there is hopefully a race and that we're in a holding pattern until March 15th. It will encourage participants to register on jibeset and inform them that they can register without paying the nonrefundable $150 fee. I will give them the Jibeset URL. I will happily edit the SSS Splash page to point to a SHTP 2021 link instead of the year-old cancelled 2020 Wordpress site. Give me the credentials and I'll do it.

    What I will not do is set up an entire WordPress site and maintain it until the race, and during the race. But a simple HTML information page with links to jibeset? Sure.

    We don't need an entire WordPress website yet. What we need, and have needed for six months is for the link on the main SSS website to say STHP 2021 and point to SOMETHING with some information. Give me the credentials, and I'll do it. It's months too late, but sure, I'll spend an hour and make an HTML page and change the SSS splash page.

    AGAIN...we don't need a whole WordPress site, yet. What we need is SO SIMPLE. It's not even your job, Brian! IT'S NOT BRIANS JOB!!!! IT'S THE WEBMASTERS JOB. It's the webmasters job! WEbmasters job. WEBMASTERS JOB!

    1. Change the link on the main SSS splash page to say SHTP 2021 , link to to....
    2. put up a simple HTML page that states what the current situation is and encourages potential entrants to register on jibeset.

    ===================================
    Last edited by AlanH; 03-04-2021 at 12:29 PM.
    S-2 7.9: "Wildcat of Loch Awe"
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,970

    Default

    I understand that COVID has made planning the race a nightmare. I get it. I totally understand. I appreciate the work that's been done. I know it doesn't sound like I do right now, Brian, but I do.

    Frustration has skyrocketed in the past couple of months NOT because of COVID.....I understand that and so does everybody else. My own frustration level has skyrocketed because of the inaccuracies on the website and that this Board, apparently just like the last one...REFUSES to use the forum to communicate with members. You guys post your own info-bits and REFUSE to read anything else. There are discussions about the SH/DH issue. Apparently nobody on the Board reads them. I announce a SHTP emergency rudder Zoom seminar and gathered presenters and put updates on the forum. But apparently nobody on the Board paid any attention, for WEEKS.

    IT'S NOT THAT HARD TO KEEP UP ON THE FORUM.

    I put this fucking thing in place a decade ago as a tool for communication. I happily ran it for four years before I turned it over to the next person. It's here. People read it, even if they don't post.

    USE IT! READ IT!

    If you don't want to use it, then take it down. Seriously, more damage is done by having the forum in place and having the Board ignore it, than any benefit that is accrued. We have a Facebook page. Does the Board want to use the Facebook page and Jibeset instead? FINE, that's totally fine..... then announce that in Screaming Huge Text up top and close the forum.
    S-2 7.9: "Wildcat of Loch Awe"
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,291

    Default

    I know you're wound up Alan, but some of us really enjoy talking to each other here.

    Volunteerism is challenging. In my observation, the singlehanders who are the nucleus of the club are more committed than most, so the club has been able to run with a small group of volunteers relative to its 200-member size - currently 202 according to Jibeset. This year the new board made the conscious decision to limit its size to five members, after having grown to seven. Being by nature control freaks, singlehanders aren't good at asking for help, or delegating. So in this day-and-age, it's a recipe for problems.

    That and eight bucks might buy you a cuppa.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,970

    Default

    Here's an information page, simple HTML that the SHTP 2021 link on the SSS splash page can point to for the next couple of weeks.

    EDIT: URL removed and page taken down.

    Yes, I'm a little wound up. In fact I'm so angry and upset that I need to take some time away from here for my own peace of mind.

    I'll check in with y'all after the 15th, and will drop in and look at the Facebook page, now and then. See you on the water for the 'Round the Rocks.

    My apologies to Carol for editing her poster without her permission. I hope that page isn't up for long, but if it needs to be, or needs to be edited to say "Cancelled"....just let me know via e-mail or by a FB message.
    Last edited by AlanH; 03-05-2021 at 10:41 AM.
    S-2 7.9: "Wildcat of Loch Awe"
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •