Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 70

Thread: SHTP 2021 - From the Race Deck

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    37.205346,-121.963398
    Posts
    756

    Default SHTP 2021 - From the Race Deck

    Hello All,

    I have opened this thread because I can't seem to find how to open a new topic on the MAIN page. A quick update. We are planning the race but COVID is of course complicating the situation. We will make a final call on the race on March 15 th. The usual events that happen at the start line, and the finish will be modulated by COVID. If we are lucky everyone will be vaccinated and we can have a normal start, finish, and celebrations at both ends. A big question for all those seriously considering the race is as follows: If Kauai's "Resort specific bubble" is still in place, and they can't assure it will be lifted by June 19th, the start date, would we get sufficient participation to make the race viable ? If you are planning to do the event would you still have an interest if your friends and loved ones would have to spend 10 days in a designated resort prior to being allowed general island access. It is not clear there is a resort in Hanalei that even meets the criteria as a Resort bubble.

    The race rules, sailing instructions, and equipment requirements will be out within a few days. Additionally the registration will be opened. We will need to get a head count to get this rolling. Items with long lead times, like swag, and reservations on the island need to be made soon and the head count will drive th e costs of those items. Swag may be handled differently this season. We may choose to deliver it post race so that we don't commit to a lot of materials and then find the entry pool is quite low.

    If you are doing the race, but COVID restrictions will be a no go for you and family, your opinion will be appreciated. One solution to a real small turnout could be a very light RC in Kauai, or no RC with self finishing and trackers to confirm finishing. Of course this would mean swimming ashore, climbing the bluffs to the Princeville Resort, and recording your finish with the front desk, just as was done in the first event .

    Regards,

    Brian Boschma
    Committee: Jackie Philpott, Greg Ashby, Mike Cunningham, Brian Boschma

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,992

    Default

    I'm in. If there is any race at all, I will do it. I'm 98% sure that Joan will not want to fly to Kauai and be limited to a resort room for 10 days. I have no problem with arriving in Hanalei Bay and my "finish" time is when I walk onto the veranda at the Tahiti Nui, or wherever.

    If Kauai is still very restrictive but other islands are significantly more open, I am in favor of considering another finishing line. Hilo would be a good option. The harbor is large and there are several anchorages. There's a canoe club with beach access for landing dinghies and an open, grassy area for an outdoor awards party; actually there are three canoe clubs in the area. The Hilo airport is about 5 blocks from the beach, there are hotels and restaurants and so on. AZsailor is currently anchored in Hilo and can supply lots of information. I've posted a thread with another alternative finishing port, if Hanalei is so restrictive that we really can't go there.

    That said, I'd REALLY rather go to Hanalei, but if it was "go somewhere else, or no race at all", then I'd go somewhere else in Hawaii and be happy I got to race at all.

    EDIT: I asked Joan and she will not go if there's a 10-Day quarantine. If there's something in place where she can take a COVID test within 24 hours of her departure, quarantine for 3 days, take another test and assuming it's negative, she's free to roam around, she'd think about it.
    Last edited by AlanH; 01-26-2021 at 07:36 PM.
    S-2 7.9: "Wildcat of Loch Awe"
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,992

    Default

    The other option I looked at was Hale' iwa, which is on the north shore of Oahu, opposite Honolulu and about an hours drive along the coast. It's pretty small, there aren't a lot of restaurants or places to stay but there are a few.

    https://haleiwatown.com/haleiwa_attractions.php

    https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/dobor/haleiwa-harbor/

    Name:  aerial-view-haleiwa-town-harbor-small-boat-anahulu-river-bridge-95744726.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  241.9 KB
    S-2 7.9: "Wildcat of Loch Awe"
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    1

    Default

    As long as racers are welcomed in Kauai, I'm excited to race this year. If Kauai is still struggling with Covid and has resort bubbles, I might proceed to Oahu to meet my family and ship my boat home from there.
    I'm glad SSS is monitoring the Covid situation and considering alternatives. Finishing on Oahu is fine with me and might make shipping gear to Hawaii easier and along with shipping boats home, not to mention provisioning for return trips as well as meeting families in Hawaii. (Transpac finishers will arrive in Honolulu late July). Would it make sense to postpone the SHTP start until July to give the world more time to recover?
    At this point, speaking only for myself, I can live without the swag, trophies, festivities, etc this year if that makes things easier for the volunteers. I just want to race to Hawaii with this group. Perhaps the trophy dinner could be done on the mainland when gatherings are allowed again?
    Thank you for inviting input. I'll sign up as soon as registrations open.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    94

    Default

    If its a 10 day quarantine... I would probably take a pass. But I really really believe it will not be a 10 day quarantine come July (and likely not within the next month or two). The current "negative test within 72 hours" the rest of Hawaii has is just fine... if Kawaii moves to that, its a "go" (IMO). I really really believe that by June over half the population of the US and Hawaii will have been vaccinated and all the limitations in day to day life will have faded (yes we may still have masks and still not hugging... but travel and "not overly dense" get togethers will be happening. And I really really want to go this summer... to much time on land is "getting to me". I need a break on the water!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Oh... I would be just fine with a bare bones finishing line (self service) and de minimus events. Sure if there is only 10-12 entrants, we'll be fine (more up close and personal).

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Hilo, HI
    Posts
    285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JimQuanci View Post
    Oh... I would be just fine with a bare bones finishing line (self service) and de minimus events. Sure if there is only 10-12 entrants, we'll be fine (more up close and personal).
    Greetings from Hilo. From my perspective here I think Jim is right, and that Kauai will be in sync with the travel program the rest of the state is using by then. And, FWIW, if the race runs this year, Morning Star will be on station for taking finishes, providing water taxi service, and anything else RC wants from us. Sailing there from here reduces a lot of the challenges.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    37.205346,-121.963398
    Posts
    756

    Default Matson - Shipping your Boat Home

    Shipping trailers to Kauai and shipping a boat home may be delayed from what is possible in a typical season. Far fewer ships are sailing to Hawaii as the need for goods is greatly diminished with the reduced guests visiting the State. Those of you with boats to be shipped should contact Matson soon to see what the shipping schedules are likely to be. Also the shipment of a trailer to Kauai maybe slower due to the same reason.

    Larry Conklin, Island Cranes, islcr@hawaii.rr.com , is working with Matson to get an understanding of what this might mean for his operation for lifting boats onto their trailers. Contact Larry if you have plans to ship a trailer and boat.

    Brian

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    58

    Default

    I would be fine forgoing awards/water taxis etc. but quarantine could be a deal killer.
    Moreover, without both shots I'm reluctant to fly back and the little Express is a tough return- plus the wife smartly says no return! I do like bhuff's/buffalo's option of heading to Oahu to load out and or meet family as I know the drill and it's less restrictive.

    In the end I'm not up very high on the vaccine list but am still hopeful and boat prep and training will continue.
    Cjordan
    Last edited by everydaysailor; 02-22-2021 at 05:30 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,854

    Default

    Bill Stange's coming in hot. He's at Drakes Bay right now. Ignore that triangle: He's coming south, not going north.

    https://share.garmin.com/Bill2SF

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •