Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: SHTP 2021 - From the Race Deck

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    So the short answer may be "As long as you don't require assistance." And who can know that in advance?.
    +1

No one with the R/C has answered, so I'll reply based on my recollection from when this has been asked in the past.

It's a free ocean - you can certainly sail out there with the fleet.

However, when you are "tagging along" the R/C and entered racers know you're out there, and that creates some responsibility. If you need help it is likely that one of the entered racers will be your closest source of help. Per the Law of the Sea they will come to your aid. While they may request and receive a time adjustment for doing so, it may put them into a different weather pattern or otherwise compromise their race.

So the short answer may be "As long as you don't require assistance." And who can know that in advance?
    I won't pretend to answer for the RC, but I think what Bob says is generally correct, with a significant additional caveat from the OA's perspective.
    "ghost participants" can inadvertently create huge liability risks for the Organizing Authority, if they are at all recognized, or if it can be shown that the OA was aware of it.
    emphasis added to Bobs reply...
    Basically, you haven't indemnified anyone (since presumably you wouldn't have signed a waiver), but by tacitly allowing you to sail with the fleet the SSS could be, in the eyes of an ambulance chaser, endorsing &/or encouraging your participation in a high risk activity should things go sideways.

I wouldn't say any of that precludes you from doing your own thing and sailing out the gate for a couple days, but I wouldn't talk it up or as Bob says "ask for anything".
    For that matter I'd be cautious about where and when you time your "start", er, departure.

I really hate to be a killjoy.
    It's a sad commentary on the litigious world we live in, I know.
    Chalk it up to scar tissue from being deposed a few times for events that transpired at concerts I was managing (different context, but extremely unpleasant).

DH
    Last edited by DaveH; 03-10-2021 at 11:47 PM.

I hear that, and it's a responsibility I will feel heavily.

As a non-real racer, I was thinking to take the attitude that it was easier for me to compromise performance to make sure I was an asset to the fleet rather than a liability, i.e, more likely to rescue than be rescued. But, as you mention, you surely can never know when it's your turn...I'll ruminate on that.

Hello All Racers,

There will be a SHTP-2021 Skippers meeting via ZOOM on Monday evening, 8 PM PST to discuss the pending announcement and possible contingencies in case of complications at either end of the course due to weather, COVID, or man made situations facing the event. An invitation has gone out via Jibeset to all registered racers in 2020 and 2021. If you did not receive this invitation and would like to attend contact "racechair@sfbaysss.org" for the particulars on logging into the ZOOM event.

Regards,

Brian

Default Registered Race Participants: 031621

Name:  2021 participants 031621.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  603.7 KB

I think I asked you why a couple of us are entered with red ink, but I don't remember what you said.

Then there's the seven of us with check marks in the left column. That's ominous.

It's good to see that Surprise! and Perplexity are next to each other.

I think I asked you why a couple of us are entered with red ink, but I don't remember what you said.
    Then there's the seven of us with check marks in the left column. That's ominous. It's good to see that Surprise! and Perplexity are next to each other.
    This club is so inbred. Who can remember what pencil markings or red pens once represented?

Name:  Hook.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  535.1 KB

Freud would know.

Perfect.

Maybe a clue? Found in my cockpit today... But I quickly noted, it’s a graphite pencil! Not red or even blue. And it needs sharpening.
    Name:  06AB1D5A-8051-4DCB-A4CC-5D438A9C40BC.jpeg
Views: 478
Size:  1.19 MB
    Last edited by Dazzler; 03-16-2021 at 11:04 PM.
    Tom P.

So what was the decision of Race Committee as regards holding (or delaying) the SSS TransPac in 2021?

- rob/beetle