Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: SHTP 2021 - From the Race Deck

The SI's, and SER's are now posted on the Jibeset site. Look under "notices" if you don't see an explicit label. The regatta registration will go live today or tomorrow.
    Regards,
    Brian

SHTP 2021 Registration is now open ! Additional documents are online as well (SI / SER ) .

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    SHTP 2021 Registration is now open ! Additional documents are online as well (SI / SER ) .

Brian
    I'm definitely interested in racing, hopefully to Hanalei. If still in place, does it appear the "resort bubbles" thing would apply to the racers, or just to family/friends flying in?

Also, any thoughts on whether a current on-line Offshore Safety at Sea course meets 4.3.1 of the Race Safety Requirements?? Not sure we could attend an in person seminar before June 19.

Cliff Shaw
    Rainbow

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
    I'm definitely interested in racing, hopefully to Hanalei. If still in place, does it appear the "resort bubbles" thing would apply to the racers, or just to family/friends flying in?

Also, any thoughts on whether a current on-line Offshore Safety at Sea course meets 4.3.1 of the Race Safety Requirements?? Not sure we could attend an in person seminar before June 19.

Cliff Shaw
    Rainbow
    Hi Cliff, Do you have a link to the seminar. There is a good chance it would count. Brian

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    Hi Cliff, Do you have a link to the seminar. There is a good chance it would count. Brian
    Brian: Here's the link to US Sailing's on line courses. I have a certificate for the full 15 units, plus the textbook. Cliff

https://shop.ussailing.org/education/safety-at-sea/

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
    I'm definitely interested in racing ... Cliff Shaw Rainbow
    What a relief! There will be a mothership.

Default Matson - Shipping your Boat Home

Shipping trailers to Kauai and shipping a boat home may be delayed from what is possible in a typical season. Far fewer ships are sailing to Hawaii as the need for goods is greatly diminished with the reduced guests visiting the State. Those of you with boats to be shipped should contact Matson soon to see what the shipping schedules are likely to be. Also the shipment of a trailer to Kauai maybe slower due to the same reason.

Larry Conklin, Island Cranes, islcr@hawaii.rr.com , is working with Matson to get an understanding of what this might mean for his operation for lifting boats onto their trailers. Contact Larry if you have plans to ship a trailer and boat.

Brian

I would be fine forgoing awards/water taxis etc. but quarantine could be a deal killer.
    Moreover, without both shots I'm reluctant to fly back and the little Express is a tough return- plus the wife smartly says no return! I do like bhuff's/buffalo's option of heading to Oahu to load out and or meet family as I know the drill and it's less restrictive.

In the end I'm not up very high on the vaccine list but am still hopeful and boat prep and training will continue.
    Cjordan
    Last edited by everydaysailor; 02-22-2021 at 05:30 PM.

Default Hawaii Intra Islands Travel - Obtain Intra Island Passport - Two COVID Vax. Required

News on Hawaii Travel - likely scenario - obtain Hawaii Travel Passport for intra islands travel:

My guess if all racers can get this new "Passport" as well as all travelers there will be no issues. It is supposed to go live about Mar 1.

https://beatofhawaii.com/guide-to-va...hawaii-travel/

From another article on that website...

https://beatofhawaii.com/kauai-go-it...sal-announced/

The first current option to going to Kauai is a preposterously expensive ten-day quarantine at a number of resorts. So not only do you waste ten days on Kauai sitting in your condo, but the least expensive place is $143 a night, so goodbye to $1430 plus guesstimating about $40 a day for meals, call it $1800.

Here's the other option, C&P'd from that website.

====

Alternative to Kauai resort bubbles.

If you stay 3 nights on another Hawaiian island first, then test after 72 hours, and subsequently come to Kauai with a negative result, you will not be subject to any quarantine. To qualify, visitors must be “Be physically present in the State of Hawai‘i for more than 72 hours before flying to Kauai to qualify as an inter-island traveler.”

Furthermore, you must prove a negative COVID test taken within 72 hours of interisland travel to Lihue. And to reiterate, that test needs to be taken after 72 hours on another island. These test results need to be uploaded to the state’s Safe Travels website/program.

This option does provide a good alternative for travelers who, for example, spend 3+ nights on Oahu, Maui, or Big Island, before coming to Kauai. However, you cannot fly directly to Kauai from the mainland and participate in this program.

As with the Kauai resort bubbles, availability and the timing of testing on another island is something that needs to be determined well in advance to avoid complications.

============

So you get a negative COVID test within 72 hours before you leave. You fly to Honolulu and stay for 3 days. On Day 3 you take a COVID test, which should come back negative. Turn-around time for the tests is usually 24 hours so either late in the day on the 4th day or early morning on the 5th day you fly to Kauai. It's a PITA but it's a lot better than a mandatory 10 day quarantine.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"