Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: SHTP 2021 - From the Race Deck

I am wagering all this quarantine stuff is going to disappear in the next 4 to 6 weeks... as all the older folks and at risk folks are vaccinated (most folks I know that are in these categories are vaccinated already)... hospitalization numbers are already dropping like a rock... and the Hawaiians who have been struggling financially with no tourism so are soon to say "enough already". Sure looking like by race day, almost everyone in the US who wants to be vaccinated will be vaccinated.... J&J pumping out 4 million "one shot and done" vaccines next week alone. My wife gets her second vaccine shot this Saturday (I am too young... but by June... :-) ). Yes I am chomping at the bit to get more time in the ocean... too much time at home driving me a bit crazy.

Default Kauai is going to follow the other Islands in implementation of the Safe Travel Prog.

News: https://www.khon2.com/local-news/kau...gram-in-april/

On April 5 Kauai will, if approved by the State Governor, will fall the State Safe Travel Program. If one if fully vaccinated then the you will be able to travel within the State without restriction. If not there will be restrictions and possible quarantine requirements. There will likely be a mandatory test upon departure from the U.S. The notion of a resort bubble, that had been in place. Will be removed. All of this is subject to change depending on the results of the new policy.

This is great news for the SHTP but participants and their guests should plan on leaving the US fully vaccinated.

Regards,

Brian

Being young and virile* I'm pretty far down the list to be vaccinated, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

*I had to pull down Funk and Wagnalls to look that up and make sure I spelled it right.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Being young and virile* I'm pretty far down the list to be vaccinated, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.
    The older the bull, the harder the harder the horn.

For what it's worth, below are current details on the other Transpac (LA to Hono):

March 3, 2021 - Los Angeles, CA - The Board of Directors of the Transpacific Yacht Club has confirmed the 2021 Transpac yacht race is on. Interest is strong among participants, sponsors and members of the club to have no interruption this year in the 105-year history of this classic 2225-mile biennial ocean race from Los Angeles to Honolulu.

With a strong turnout of 58 entries to date, three start dates are still on schedule, with the first start planned for July 13, 2021.

“The COVID-19 pandemic has presented many challenges for us in planning this 51st edition of the race,” said TPYC Commodore Jim Eddy, “particularly for shore side logistics and social events at both the start and finish venues. Nonetheless, we have been working through many scenarios with some expert help and feel confident about conducting this race safely.”

The expert help comes from consulting epidemiologist Sara Stone, MSc, who has been working closely with TPYC on devising specific relevant protocols that maintain safety and compliance to the current restrictions in place for California and Hawaii. She has compiled a detailed report that will be used as the basis for a COVID-19 webinar being planned for Transpac participants on Saturday, March 13th at 0900 PST.

All Honolulu Transpac participants are urged to attend, and will be contacted on how to register for this important and informative briefing. “Our current plans reflect our current circumstances,” said Commodore Eddy, “and these will no doubt evolve between now and July. Yet we recognize our race remains solidly attractive to our participants because it is a unique opportunity to get out sailing and have the rewarding experience of crossing the ocean and finishing off beautiful Diamond Head.”

Being almost old enough but not quite...yet with questionable virility, who knows when my vaccination number will come up, but

just once more...

We don't HAVE to go to Hanalei. Sure, I'd rather go to Hanalei. I'd REALLY like to go to Hanalei. I want to go to Hanalei.

But if the choice was "Go to Hilo, or don't race at all"....then let's go to Hilo.
    Or another Island.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Are they still holding to being vaccinated within 3 months of visiting? If so that cuts out most of my family who've already had shots.
    As for me who knows.
    The timing on this is pretty tight and starting to resemble the approach to Southampton on Saturday. Perhaps a 270 is in order.

Ok, I read it more thoroughly. Regarding the 3 month window: "This timeline will potentially be extended as more information is available."
    So there's hope there.
    Last edited by everydaysailor; 03-03-2021 at 10:50 PM.

I caused this thread to go astray with my post about the entry numbers. Sorry about that.

It's important to keep this open to our SHTP Chair so I moved those posts to the Shtp 2021 thread.

Carry on...
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-07-2021 at 11:25 AM.

I've done a bit of research about Hawaii for non-sailing-related reasons and it seems that if you test negative within 72 hours of your arrival, you're unrestricted, as best I can tell.

In other news, I was thinking about a 2-3 day race I could do this season, because I can't find the time for a SHTP... and I wondered if anyone would be annoyed with me if I just tagged along for the first day and a half of this race before turning myself around...?

No one with the R/C has answered, so I'll reply based on my recollection from when this has been asked in the past.

It's a free ocean - you can certainly sail out there with the fleet.

However, when you are "tagging along" the R/C and entered racers know you're out there, and that creates some responsibility. If you need help it is likely that one of the entered racers will be your closest source of help. Per the Law of the Sea they will come to your aid. While they may request and receive a time adjustment for doing so, it may put them into a different weather pattern or otherwise compromise their race.

So the short answer may be "As long as you don't require assistance." And who can know that in advance?
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-10-2021 at 04:28 PM.