Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone looked into shipping home yet?

Do cold beers come with those cute umbrella's? Counting the days...

For those of us who are looking to ship home via a delivery crew (unfortunately I don't have the time to sail back from Kauai, and I can't ship the boat back either because of her size), I need to get a surveyor to do an inspection in order to underwrite insurance coverage for the trip back for my delivery crew. I spoke with Larry tonight after the Zoom call. He is checking for surveyor for me. Larry is also asking to see if there is anyone else looking to hire a surveyor in Kauai. Please let me know. Thanks.
    -Will, SEA WISDOM

Hi Will....wouldn't that be easier to get done in SFO.... or is that an insurance stipulation that it be done in Kauai?

I know a great surveyor in the North Bay, FWIW.

Going from foggy memory here, but I believe it needs to be done in Kauai because of the break in coverage that is usually involved, plus whoever is writing the rider will want to know the current condition of the boat, not the condition before an ocean passage.
    Again, that's just my memory. I imagine the best thing is to clarify with whoever is actually asking for the survey.

DH

That's right, the survey has to be done in Kauai after the race and before the delivery crew sailing back to SF. It makes the logistics challenging because it takes time to do the survey and then writing up the survey. Then the insurance company has to underwrite it.

The latest development is that in 2021, no carrier would underwrite coverage for a crewed delivery after a singlehanded race. In 2020, they would do it, but not in 2021!!! I assume Sea Wisdom's 42 ft LOA is too big to get shipped back with the rest of the fleet. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Is there another way to get the boat back besides sailing back solo? Thanks for everyone's insight.

Is there another way to get the boat back besides sailing back solo?
    Break out another 10+ boats bucks.

Default Matson Shipping Info - 3/19/2021

All -
    I heard back from Matson and here is what I know as of right now 03/19/2021

Rates -
    $80/measured Ton; 1 measured ton= 40 Cubic Feet
    The Cubic tonnage Measurement consists of:
    1. the total length of the boat, plus any extra trailer length (eg tongue or tail past the bow or stern) x
    2. the total height of the boat sitting on the trailer (if the mast / spreaders are on top, it counts, as do lifelines) x
    3. the max width of the boat (or trailer, whichever is greater)

the length of the mast does not count in this measurement

quick math for a 30' boat - (30'Lx11'Wx12'H=3960 cubic feet)/40 = 99 measured tons - 99*$80 = $7920
    **this is just quick math and the published rates; experience has shown that there will likely be surcharges and other costs that will add to the base price.

Size Limits
    • Width - NTE 12'W
    • Height- NTE 14'T (measured from the ground)
    • Length- NTE 80'L

When do you need to ship the trailer?
    They don't have a precise sailing schedule yet past May, but with one boat in lay-up things are definitely going to take longer than past years.
    official word is to plan on a 3-4 week transit time for your trailer to Kauai form OAK.
    That means that for Larry to have enough time to collect it and resolve any issues, you need to plan to ship your trailer NLT the first week of June
    The trailer ships free Eastbound

Misc Reminders
    as noted elsewhere, you're empty trailer will have to pass Agricultural inspection in Kauai; unlocked, empty and clean trailer boxes and take the time to hose off any cobwebs or other detritus that's accumulated around the axles/undercarriage.
    GET IN TOUCH WITH LARRY CONKLIN ASAP - (808)639-1021; islcr3@gmail.com

DH
    Last edited by DaveH; 03-20-2021 at 09:22 AM.

If you are thinking of selling the boat rather than shipping or sailing it back, please let me know. A friend of mine here in Hilo is looking for an ocean-worthy sail boat. PM me here or send email to me at lee [dot] johnson [at] q [dot] com.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32