Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone looked into shipping home yet?

Default Anyone looked into shipping home yet?

My main issue with racing this year is time. I don't have the time to sail it home. Anyone coordinating for shipping deals yet this year? That's going to be the make or break for me.

Check with Matson on their shipping schedule and rates for SHTP racers. Also, be aware the ship volume traveling to Hawaii has reduced due to the lower need for goods on the island. This could delay shipments in both directions.

Regards,
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    Also, be aware the ship volume traveling to Hawaii has reduced due to the lower need for goods on the island. This could delay shipments in both directions.
    Regards, Brian
    Not to worry. As long as there is rum for the mai tais we’re ready in Hanalei Bay. I’ve had these paper umbrellas since 2019.

Name:  umbrellas.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  447.3 KB
    Last edited by Philpott; 02-14-2021 at 09:33 AM.

Others will need to chime in here but is the barge from Kauai going to be available with the crane? If so how much does the crane handle weight wise because a SF3200 weighs a lot more than an Olson 30.

Also, lead is for keels, not umbrellas in your drinks !

I see the SF3200 comes in at 7500 lbs base. Do you have a trailer? If the barge is an option if the crane is capable. If you have a cradle then you would need to sail it to Oahu to travel lift out. You'll also need to hire someone with a large enough truck to move it from the yard to Matson. My all up load (boat/trailer/gear) came in about 6500 lbs so I was able to just rent a pickup from Enterprise to move it.

Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post
    Others will need to chime in here but is the barge from Kauai going to be available with the crane? If so how much does the crane handle weight wise because a SF3200 weighs a lot more than an Olson 30.

Also, lead is for keels, not umbrellas in your drinks !
    How else are us low-carb folks supposed to sweeten our drinks?

Yeah, she's heavy compared to all these little downwind boats... I don't have a trailer but the boat fits about right on a J/105 trailer so it isn't impossible to borrow or rent one. I was assuming I'd need to sail it to Honolulu but you guys are implying that if the crane can handle the load, I could barge it back from Kauai, eh?

The barge is making trips, but the frequency is down. The Crane lifted a Catalina 34 a few years back onto a trailer. I believe they weigh in at about 11,000 lbs. There is an issue with weight and keel depth. The deeper the keel, the further your boat will be from the dock. The further the crane boom has to reach. At some point the crane ends up in the water with the boom laying in the boats deck. In order to get an understanding of what is possible I would suggest contacting Larry Conklin, the crane owner/operator and all around expert on getting this done. Biz is Island Crane, he has an email contact. Private message me and I will send his phone number.
    Last edited by brianb; 02-15-2021 at 12:49 PM. Reason: fix

talon4u - I sent you a PM.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    The barge is making trips, but the frequency is down. The Crane lifted a Catalina 34 a few years back onto a trailer. I believe they weigh in at about 11,000 lbs. There is an issue with weight and keel depth. The deeper the keel, the further your boat will be from the dock. The further the crane boom has to reach. At some point the crane ends up in the water with the boom laying in the boats deck. In order to get an understanding of what is possible I would suggest contacting Larry Conklin, the crane owner/operator and all around expert on getting this done. Biz is Island Crane, he has an email contact. Private message me and I will send his phone number.
    This is mostly, but not exactly, accurate. Specific to Margie's former boat (the Catalina 34) it was craned out in Kauai and barged to Honolulu, but not by Larry's crane.
    That lift required a different larger crane, special for that lift. The fact that Matson let it roll down the ramp while loading it in Honolulu is not directly pertinent, but it happened.

Definitely want to talk to Larry, but it sounds to me like the combination of keel depth (meaning the crane arm needs to extend out farther from the shore and thus increasing the "tipping force") and weight will put you on the bubble.
    In recent years, Larry's working number with his rig is in the neighborhood of 6900 lbs; that will vary with how deep the water is on the quay and how far he'll need to extend his rigs jib boom.
    Last edited by DaveH; 04-06-2021 at 09:48 AM.