Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the oldest boat ever to complete the SSS SHTP?

Default What is the oldest boat ever to complete the SSS SHTP?

I was pondering the idea of sailing one of the oldest boat to ever compete in the SHTP as a way to get the boat to begin a series of legs of pacific navigations. It would be a good record to hold too. Does any one know who holds that record now and what kind it was?

Dorade holds the oldest Transpac record when it competed a few years ago. I was thinking I could get pretty close to that aged record holder in singlehanded racing. Speed of course would be another issue.

Had I had time and resources that I have now, I would have saved Polaris built at the Stone yard in 1906 and done exactly that.

Name:  91982323_10219497106271116_5690676313937936384_o.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  279.4 KB
    Last edited by Black Jack; 02-17-2021 at 06:29 PM.
    Without friends, none of this would be possible.

Anyone else able to ID the sailmaker’s insignia / logo on those sails?
    This is a quiz, with no prize....
    Last edited by Dazzler; 02-17-2021 at 11:13 PM.
    Tom P.

I seem to recall someone taking a Golden Gate across. A Golden Gate is basically a miniature Bird Boat, but you know that.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Ted,
    Best to do a little research before you post on public forums things that are not true.
    Maybe there was a miss reading or grammatical error in OP. Forgive me. I am severely dyslectic which is often revealed in my silly inquires or personal reflections.
    My question or consideration was based it was on their website material and has been widely published that Dorade at 83 in 2013 had been the oldest boat to compete in the race. https://transpacyc.com/history/facts...ric-highlights

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 10.03.17 AM.png
Views: 627
Size:  499.9 KB

It should be noted that in 2019 Chubasco built in 1939 sailed as the oldest boat in the fleet.
    Last edited by Black Jack; 02-18-2021 at 11:43 AM.

I did misunderstand considering the first Transpac was in 1906.

The 1980 SHTP race was won by the oldest boat entered. Bob Counts sailed his 25-foot Golden Gate Sanderling to a first in class and fleet.
    Last edited by Dazzler; 02-18-2021 at 11:53 AM.
    Tom P.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    I did misunderstand considering the first Transpac was in 1906.

The 1980 SHTP race was won by the oldest boat entered. Bob Counts sailed his 25-foot Golden Gate Sanderling to a first in class and fleet.
    Thank you Tom & Alan! It must have been a ride and a story to match in that great bay boat. I haven't seen a Golden Gate on the bay in a long time. The last one i saw was sitting on Craigs list waiting for a savior. The Bird boat I had nearly brought me to divorce and more importantly almost killed me before i off loaded it to a better home with a larger purse.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 4.20.39 PM.jpeg
Views: 662
Size:  299.6 KB

A Guide to the George H. Wayland naval architectural drawings
    San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park, National Park Service

George Wayland is particularly well remembered as the architect who redesigned John Alden's 1922 original Bird class design, which measured 29 feet. In 1926 the Bird Boat association paid Wayland $100 to redesign the Bird Boat, which resulted in the 25 foot Golden Gate Design Class One, otherwise known as the Baby Bird design.

According to Thomas Skahill, George Wayland was "something of an unsung master during his lifetime [but his boat designs] remain in high regard by the West Coast maritime community." He was an important mentor to noted Bay Area yacht designer and builder Myron Spaulding; Myron Spaulding collected and preserved this collection of George Wayland's naval architectural plans. Examples of George Wayland's design drawings can be found in other collections held by the park.
    Last edited by Black Jack; 02-18-2021 at 05:33 PM.

As an older classic boat sailor, I think it's worth a chat on the topic of "senior" division. It's already a lot of work to get a boat ready for the SHTP, and it's A LOT MORE work to get a boat to be prepared when she is beyond a certain vintage. LOL!

Rumbleseat??? I think she was built in 1930.

Rumbleseat was likely the oldest original build but was completely rebuilt including a more modern keel and I believe rig before Bruce did the SHTP.

Name:  Polaris.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  279.4 KB

This photo of POLARIS shows the "Mitchell Zap" sailmakers logo near the clews. Punky Mitchell was a very good Star sailor of the 60's and made his own sails. His small sail loft was upstairs where the Hood Loft is now in Sausalito. Commodore Tompkins had rigged a test mast on the roof, and mid morning, before the breeze made up, you could often see spinnakers being tested on the roof.

Punky ended up selling his loft to Tom Blackaller and Steve Taft and it became a North Sails branch loft. John Berry Marine Hardware was downstairs and next door.

Punky Mitchell, and Star class friends who gathered at his loft, revolutionized the Star when they discovered, in the big breeze of SF Bay, a Star was fastest with extreme rake in the mast, so much so the tip of the boom lay nearly on deck.

This changed crewing a Star, as the skipper, when tacking, could no longer slide over the top of the tiller but had to go under on a tack.

All modern Stars now sail with max rake, so the boom tip is just inches above the deck at the transom.

Name:  starboat3.jpg
Views: 1022
Size:  133.1 KB

Can anyone tell me what is older: The Starboat, or POLARIS?. They are both older than a century. But there are now over 8,000 Stars built and only one POLARIS.
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-02-2021 at 01:33 PM.