Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Corinthian Race Update

multiple boats

sail 18364 Express 27 Peaches
    sail 8488 Olson 30 Warlock
    sail 9 Elliott 770 Errant
    sail 11 Moore 24 Flying Circus

Or you could have a class on the rules, for example over taking boats must stay clear. I did three 270 degree turns to keep from ending up in the tail of a wall of sport boats. Others were wisely going east to keep clear of the parked sterns. There was a nice tone to it all. It sounded like base ball bats on redwood tree trunks.

Did you feel like you were sailing Red Sky competitively in those conditions, or were you just avoiding boats with those three 270's?

They could have at least kept the cap at 150 boats - not a lot more than the 130 we've had in recent years. But 180, 70% of which were double-handers?

No, this is getting out of hand.
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-02-2021 at 12:43 AM.

I felt like I was in a large fleet where this happens often and one has to avoid collision by going wide or stalling, I stalled and held off. Of course in those situations one can lose a lot of apparent positions, which likely wasn't true anyway. The same thing happens at windward marks. You approach a large fleet on port near the mark, the fleet is largely approaching on starboard. You can take a chance and attempt to duck under near the mark, often a bad idea, or take all those sterns, sailing away from the mark.

I am betting in our case not a single protest has been filed. Which is unbelievable given the number of times I heard the ring of hull on hull bouncing around the Bay.

Thank you to the RC for running this race and posting the results in a timely fashion. Not an easy task given some boats failed to report their DNF's.

"It sounded like base ball bats on redwood tree trunks"

"given the number of times I heard the ring of hull on hull"

I never thought I'd say that I'm glad I didn't sail in an SSS race. We're there.
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-02-2021 at 12:51 AM.

What if the SSS ran a series of races that were either singlehanded or doublehanded. Transpac stays single only. Three Bridge switches between single and double every other year?

Two thoughts...

1) if you want to absolutely ruin a beautiful start on this year's race, try leading your fleet at BH and then try getting to SH by going through Raccon. Thought the park up at SH was bad? I avoided it entirely by spending 90 minutes in a tidal swirl on the north end of Angel Island. Southampton was easy to round one hour after the rest of the fleet. At one point I got so annoyed, i just dropped the tiller and went below and mixed a Dark n Stormy.

2) DH sailing is booming. COVID, Paris 2024, etc. SSS can either be part of the trend or separate from it. I'm pretty ambivalent. Singlehanding is awesome. DH is fun too. I'm in either way as they both keep the sandwich bill pretty low.

SSS can either be part of the trend or separate from it.
    The SSS has been the trend for many decades of growth and was fielding more than 100 boats for several races every year. It is an issue that I think the SSS will overcome. I think a cap of DH boats is the best way but that will still be a lot of boats on course.

I'm in the camp that thinks that sharing starting and finishing lines is fine, but please send the DH'ers and the SH'ers on different courses with as little overlap as possible....3BF being the exception, since that already semi-self-selects to splitting up the fleet.

You know, if the SSS hadn't capped the entries, we might have had 200 boats sign up for the Corinthian. I used to enjoy being in the thick of the Vallejo Race start...once a year, when I had three more people on the boat. I enjoy being in the middle of the 3BF morass....once a year. I can't say that I want to make a regular thing of being in 200+ boat starting fleets.

The other thing is that invariably, a few people don't report their DNF's. Every single one of those is a PITA for the race chairman and the committee. The more boats, the higher number of DNF's that don't report and the more end-of-the-day grief for the race chair.
    Last edited by AlanH; 03-03-2021 at 11:33 AM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

The Flickr gallery link to a couple of pictures from the start - finish area = https://flic.kr/s/aHsmUFi5QJ

J-105 J-70 start, Lightish air

IMG_7923_DxO_5500

IMG_7947_DxO

More wind at the finish

IMG_8533_DxO

J/70 Flotek

IMG_8536_DxO

IMG_8554_DxO_5500