Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Corinthian Race Update

Just before the park up.
    Bombora, Fugu and likely Hedgehog smartly stayed outside. The Pork Chop Express got caught up in the mess but squeezed through.
    A real horror show!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The approach to SHS on port board was nuts. This race may be cursed!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Oh my my my, the restart at SHS was Ka-wazy. I was one of the last starts at 1155, and like a moth to the flame I was uncontrollable drawn into that pile-up ahead of me with EVERYONE THAT STARTED IN FRONT OF ME, except I was on stbd with the kite up so all's good, ..... until the wind hole gently gybed me to port with no rights. So perhaps not the wises choice in hindsight, should have taken a wide turn. How do you go forward to drop your kite while singlehanded and surrounded by 130 boats when all the doublehanded boats are yelling at you to get out of the way? My apologies for adding more mess to that mess, my little head was doing the thinking. Glad to see Bombora right in there with me, Dolls with Balls, eh? Then yeehaw, the breezy downwind run from LH to BR was the big payoff. SHAZAM!! Thanks RC.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

Quote Originally Posted by everydaysailor View Post
    Bombora, Fugu and likely Hedgehog smartly stayed outside.
    A real horror show!
    Ummm... Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    and like a moth to the flame I was uncontrollable drawn into that pile-up ahead of me with EVERYONE THAT STARTED IN FRONT OF ME, except I was on stbd with the kite up so all's good, ..... until the wind hole gently gybed me to port with no rights. So perhaps not the wises choice in hindsight, should have taken a wide turn. How do you go forward to drop your kite while singlehanded and surrounded by 130 boats when all the doublehanded boats are yelling at you to get out of the way? My apologies for adding more mess to that mess, my little head was doing the thinking. Glad to see Bombora right in there with me, Dolls with Balls, eh? Then yeehaw, the breezy downwind run from LH to BR was the big payoff. SHAZAM!! Thanks RC.
    So, I was even dumber, and rode a nice puff all the way in on Starboard gybe... first boat to the mark, setting me up perfectly to be the pin wheel as the onrushing wall of sails shut down the wind, the tide started pushing me backwards and I ended up spat out the back with about 3' to spare on either side between Green Buffalo to starboard and the stinky pilings to port.
    By some miracle I didn't hit either one... serious deus-ex-machina intervention there. Verbal unpleasantness was exchanged with a few port tack double hander's late to the party who felt the need to educate me on my "lack of rights". Not that they're necessarily wrong. My hands up for being a dumb-ass and hoping it'd work out.
    OTOH, after licking my wounds and considering dropping out, I bucked up and had a fantastic run from Little Harding to Blossom, at one point I saw 11 knots on the fun meter (water speed, not over ground).

So, thanks to the RC for what, in total, was a pleasant day.
    I'll save the rest of my day for another post in a different thread, but I am D O N E with Single Handing in-the-bay racing with large fleets of double handed boats on the same course.

DH

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post

I'll save the rest of my day for another post in a different thread, but I am D O N E with Single Handing in-the-bay racing with large fleets of double handed boats on the same course.

DH
    The art of singlehanding sailing may fad away as Doublehanded takes over singlehanded in SSS. This is a tough SSS decision because the $$ from doublehanded entries pays the bills.

Larger is not always better...with YRA doing Doublehanded image only one place you can sail solo...SSS...

DaveH wrote: "I am D O N E with Single Handing in-the-bay racing with large fleets of double handed boats on the same course."

Guys, I thought this got fixed with R-T-R last year. The Corinthian and Round-the-Rocks races well-and-truly suck for competitive singlehanders. We can sail around the course and try to avoid the double-handers, but it's difficult to do so competitively. I'm glad I opted out yesterday and saved the Awlgrip - the scuttlebutt on E dock today was not encouraging.

Reply to Rick: Most of the race fees go for swag and awards - the SSS has few fixed costs and its budget is largely scalable. It does not need entry fees from double-handers to operate.
    Last edited by BobJ; 02-28-2021 at 11:28 PM.

After getting absolutely HAMMERED coming out of Coyote Point on Friday afternoon (I had my 60% heavy weather jib up, and a reef in, so it was OK, just really ~Wet~) I was a little gun-shy on Saturday and picked the wrong headsail. Ah, well. So I was 500 yards behind at Blackaller already. Hmm. Mybe there are oysters on the bottom of the daggerboard again, I was just plain slow.

Or maybe I'm just slow!

all you fast people were done with the bumper boats at SHS when I got there. I wound up going exactly nowhere for a long time at Point Blunt, and tagged along with some big non-spinnaker boats going around SHS. I opted for Raccoon Strait to bet back up to Little Harding, well...that was a mistake. The current and whirlpools and general nastiness around the north end of Angel Island played Games with 4-5-6 of us Tom on Slainte (Cal 20)..Constance (really beautiful Tartan 34C) and Daniel on Galaxy....and me... and wasted huge amounts of time. Once we got well into the Strait it was easy-peasy from then on.

I didn't re-pack the chute and fly it for the Little Harding to Blossom leg, I probably should have, but oh well! I was wishing I had my 130% up all the way down, instead of the working jib. By the time we got to Blossom, there was real wind, and I managed to overhaul Galaxsea on the way up the Cityfront. Galaxy is pretty darned fast on a reach, with all her sails flying.

Anyway, it was a fun day. It was my first time flying an asymmetrical spinnaker in competition, and I didn't botch it TOO badly. I also flew it a few times on the way back down the Bay today, so that was nice. I have some video up on my FB page.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    By some miracle I didn't hit either one... serious deus-ex-machina intervention there. Verbal unpleasantness was exchanged with a few port tack double hander's late to the party who felt the need to educate me on my "lack of rights". Not that they're necessarily wrong. My hands up for being a dumb-ass and hoping it'd work out.
    OTOH, after licking my wounds and considering dropping out, I bucked up and had a fantastic run from Little Harding to Blossom, at one point I saw 11 knots on the fun meter (water speed, not over ground).

DH
    I know how you feel and experienced. I will agree there was a raised level of palpable aggressive sailing that i did not see in the solo group. This Corithian was quite a different feel than the recent TBF or other SSS races normally are. The emboldened double handers sadly gave less quarter, subsequently less room and importantly little consideration to solo sailors. On the other hand, it was remarkable to see folks in the fleet soloing their boats. The shared pleasant experience of being out there among the dozens like myself and having a ball is something only seen for one's self.

A big thanks to those in race committee, the SSS and my fellow sailors for making this an exceptional day.
    Last edited by Black Jack; 03-01-2021 at 01:49 PM.
    Without friends, none of this would be possible.

The Singlehanded Sailing Society seems to find itself at a crossroads. I hope the current SSS board will be able to navigate its way through the issues facing it with regard to the double/singlehanded races in the bay without losing more of its most accomplished singlehanded sailors.

The economist Albert Hirschman’s concept of Exit/Voice might be considered here. That is, two possible responses when there are unsatisfactory conditions in the way any organization (or country or state or institution) is run:

The first response is to speak up and try to remedy issues. That response is what Hirschman would call Voice. The alternative is to Exit, or to leave without trying to address the issues, or after voicing one’s dissatisfaction to no avail. One’s loyalty to the Singlehanded Sailing Society might encourage a person to Voice rather than Exit, but a decision almost always will be made to Exit once the Voice has been ignored long enough.

These seem to be the alternatives given the difficult situation in which singlehanders currently find themselves. If it continues along in this manner, maybe a new singlehanded series could develop: perhaps something like a Solo Sailing Society.

Thank you to everybody on the Race Deck Saturday. It was a splendid and placid time aboard my Dura Mater all day and even into the night.

It's called the Singlehanded Sailing Society for a reason and it should always remain intact as such. A lot of racers have jumped on the shorthanded bandwagon with COVID. Entry limits certainly helped as how many more would there be out there otherwise? A once a year Fiasco is enough. Hopefully many DH will join the new YRA series and thin down the SSS numbers a bit.