Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corinthian Race Update

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Corinthian Race Update

The Corinthian NOR and SI documents have been posted on Jibeset.

There are several COVID-related changes to the race this year:

1) The traditional start/finish line off the namesake Corinthian Yacht Club is not possible this year due to the closure of the CYC race deck. Instead, the "Corinthian" race will start/finish off the Golden Gate Yacht Club, where there is sufficient space for the race committee to exercise responsible social distancing practices.

2) We have tried to preserve the spirit of the Corinthian race with the new course consisting of:
    - Start to Blackaller
    - BH to Southhampton Shoals
    - SHS to Little Harding
    - LH to Blossom Rock
    - BR to the Finish

3) We restricted the registrations, originally to 150 boats. Because several pre-Corinthian SSS members were not able to register during the original window, we opened up a second window to allow these members to participate. The registrations are now closed with 182 boats total.

Note that we are attempting to separate the singlehanded and doublehanded fleets as much as possible by having the doublehanded boats start first, followed by the singlehanded boats. With 182 boats on the course, we strongly encourage everyone to give room to your fellow sailors, particularly to the SH boats on the course.

We are also looking for race deck volunteers. ~3 hrs shifts in the morning (8-11) and afternoon (4-7). Send me a DM or an email at: tboussie at gmail dot com if you are available.

Looking forward to another great race!

Tom Boussie
    SSS Race Chair

Default Link to 3 Bridge Fiasco awards & Skipper's meeting this Wed, Feb. 24, 7:30 p.m.

Quote Originally Posted by tboussie View Post
    The Corinthian NOR and SI documents have been posted on Jibeset.

There are several COVID-related changes to the race this year:

1) The traditional start/finish line off the namesake Corinthian Yacht Club is not possible this year due to the closure of the CYC race deck. Instead, the "Corinthian" race will start/finish off the Golden Gate Yacht Club, where there is sufficient space for the race committee to exercise responsible social distancing practices.

2) We have tried to preserve the spirit of the Corinthian race with the new course consisting of:
    - Start to Blackaller
    - BH to Southhampton Shoals
    - SHS to Little Harding
    - LH to Blossom Rock
    - BR to the Finish

3) We restricted the registrations, originally to 150 boats. Because several pre-Corinthian SSS members were not able to register during the original window, we opened up a second window to allow these members to participate. The registrations are now closed with 182 boats total.

Note that we are attempting to separate the singlehanded and doublehanded fleets as much as possible by having the doublehanded boats start first, followed by the singlehanded boats. With 182 boats on the course, we strongly encourage everyone to give room to your fellow sailors, particularly to the SH boats on the course.

We are also looking for race deck volunteers. ~3 hrs shifts in the morning (8-11) and afternoon (4-7). Send me a DM or an email at: tboussie at gmail dot com if you are available.

Looking forward to another great race!

Tom Boussie
    SSS Race Chair
    The 3 Bridge Fiasco Awards meeting will be combined into the Corinthian Skipper’s Meeting on Wed., Feb. 24, 7:30 p.m.

We will start with the Awards first and then transition to the Skipper’s Meeting. Your attendance is very desired.

Thanks and see you there!

Singlehanded Sailing Society is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: 3BF Awards/Corinthians Skipper's meeting
    Time: Feb 24, 2021 07:30 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
    https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8969808287...ZUMENvTVFVdz09

Meeting ID: 896 9808 2872
    Passcode: 082874
    One tap mobile
    +16699009128,,89698082872#,,,,*082874# US (San Jose)
    +12532158782,,89698082872#,,,,*082874# US (Tacoma)

Dial by your location
    +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose)
    +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
    +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
    +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
    +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
    +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
    Meeting ID: 896 9808 2872
    Passcode: 082874
    Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kQrlQaAvk

21 boats in my start, all singlehanded, followed by an almost certain pinwheel of death at Blackaller.

Not excited about this one.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    21 boats in my start, all singlehanded, followed by an almost certain pinwheel of death at Blackaller.

Not excited about this one.
    yeah, my scar tissue's itching a bit about that too.

That's better - thanks for the extra work, Tom and Jim. The solo sporties may over-run the slower DH'ers a bit, but then the boats will spread out on the long run down to Southampton.

BTW, that long downwind from Blackaller to Southampton in the SSS Corinthian is my favorite leg to sail in any race on the Bay.

It may not be downwind this year......

Oh my my my, the restart at SHS was Ka-wazy. I was one of the last starts at 1155, and like a moth to the flame I was uncontrollable drawn into that pile-up ahead of me with EVERYONE THAT STARTED IN FRONT OF ME, except I was on stbd with the kite up so all's good, ..... until the wind hole gently gybed me to port with no rights. So perhaps not the wises choice in hindsight, should have taken a wide turn. How do you go forward to drop your kite while singlehanded and surrounded by 130 boats when all the doublehanded boats are yelling at you to get out of the way? My apologies for adding more mess to that mess, my little head was doing the thinking. Glad to see Bombora right in there with me, Dolls with Balls, eh? Then yeehaw, the breezy downwind run from LH to BR was the big payoff. SHAZAM!! Thanks RC.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

Quote Originally Posted by everydaysailor View Post
    Bombora, Fugu and likely Hedgehog smartly stayed outside.
    A real horror show!
    Ummm... Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    and like a moth to the flame I was uncontrollable drawn into that pile-up ahead of me with EVERYONE THAT STARTED IN FRONT OF ME, except I was on stbd with the kite up so all's good, ..... until the wind hole gently gybed me to port with no rights. So perhaps not the wises choice in hindsight, should have taken a wide turn. How do you go forward to drop your kite while singlehanded and surrounded by 130 boats when all the doublehanded boats are yelling at you to get out of the way? My apologies for adding more mess to that mess, my little head was doing the thinking. Glad to see Bombora right in there with me, Dolls with Balls, eh? Then yeehaw, the breezy downwind run from LH to BR was the big payoff. SHAZAM!! Thanks RC.
    So, I was even dumber, and rode a nice puff all the way in on Starboard gybe... first boat to the mark, setting me up perfectly to be the pin wheel as the onrushing wall of sails shut down the wind, the tide started pushing me backwards and I ended up spat out the back with about 3' to spare on either side between Green Buffalo to starboard and the stinky pilings to port.
    By some miracle I didn't hit either one... serious deus-ex-machina intervention there. Verbal unpleasantness was exchanged with a few port tack double hander's late to the party who felt the need to educate me on my "lack of rights". Not that they're necessarily wrong. My hands up for being a dumb-ass and hoping it'd work out.
    OTOH, after licking my wounds and considering dropping out, I bucked up and had a fantastic run from Little Harding to Blossom, at one point I saw 11 knots on the fun meter (water speed, not over ground).

So, thanks to the RC for what, in total, was a pleasant day.
    I'll save the rest of my day for another post in a different thread, but I am D O N E with Single Handing in-the-bay racing with large fleets of double handed boats on the same course.

DH

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post

I'll save the rest of my day for another post in a different thread, but I am D O N E with Single Handing in-the-bay racing with large fleets of double handed boats on the same course.

DH
    The art of singlehanding sailing may fad away as Doublehanded takes over singlehanded in SSS. This is a tough SSS decision because the $$ from doublehanded entries pays the bills.

Larger is not always better...with YRA doing Doublehanded image only one place you can sail solo...SSS...

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    By some miracle I didn't hit either one... serious deus-ex-machina intervention there. Verbal unpleasantness was exchanged with a few port tack double hander's late to the party who felt the need to educate me on my "lack of rights". Not that they're necessarily wrong. My hands up for being a dumb-ass and hoping it'd work out.
    OTOH, after licking my wounds and considering dropping out, I bucked up and had a fantastic run from Little Harding to Blossom, at one point I saw 11 knots on the fun meter (water speed, not over ground).

DH
    I know how you feel and experienced. I will agree there was a raised level of palpable aggressive sailing that i did not see in the solo group. This Corithian was quite a different feel than the recent TBF or other SSS races normally are. The emboldened double handers sadly gave less quarter, subsequently less room and importantly little consideration to solo sailors. On the other hand, it was remarkable to see folks in the fleet soloing their boats. The shared pleasant experience of being out there among the dozens like myself and having a ball is something only seen for one's self.

A big thanks to those in race committee, the SSS and my fellow sailors for making this an exceptional day.
    Last edited by Black Jack; 03-01-2021 at 01:49 PM.
    Without friends, none of this would be possible.