Thread: Round the Rocks registration to be open on Friday a.m. March 12

Default Round the Rocks registration to be open on Friday a.m. March 12

We will open Round the Rocks registration this Friday a.m. March 12.

There will be 160 spots available to members only regardless of singlehanded or doublehanded entry.

After the 160 cap is reached, we will welcome 20 non-members.

During race registration, new memberships will be closed to ensure that existing members receive priority.

Thank you and see you on the water!

Jibeset will open at 7 a.m. Friday, March 12th for Round The Rocks registration.

160 first come, first serve spots to members only.

After the 160 cap is reached. The race registration will be closed and another announcement made when the 20 non member registration will be open.

Thank you and see you at the Skipper's meeting!
    Last edited by Submarino; 03-12-2021 at 08:34 AM.

It would help me decide go or no-go if the RC could post at least an NOR prior to opening registration.
    I'm not even sure expecting us to sign up blindly for a race is allowable within the RRS, but it probably is.
    Specifically, I would like to know if it is the intention to run SH and DH on separate sequences and courses.
    DH
    Last edited by DaveH; 03-12-2021 at 09:41 AM.

80+ registrations after an hour, 100+ after two hours. They're looking for 180 entries again (160+20), same as the Corinthian Race. Apparently the Southampton pile-up was forgotten as soon as it happened.

This is not a good time to be a competitive singlehander. I'm told that SSS season ticketholders have priority. That's what happens when membership in the organization only means you bought a season ticket, and there's no other commitment. The long-time singlehanders are busting their asses trying to run all this, for what?

From the SSS website, emphasis added:

Mission

The Singlehanded Sailing Society (SSS) was conceived to provide a forum where sailors and others interested in the sport of singlehanded sailing could share their ideas and experiences. It is the intent of the SSS to make it possible for such sailors to compete in seaworthy sailing vessels of various types and designs on a fair and equitable basis.

"Fair and equitable" = not scraping gelcoat with a mass of double-handers.

Edit: Oh what the hell - I'll buy a ticket and see if they give us our own starts and courses. If they don't, Dave has a great idea below: I'll scalp the ticket! Otherwise I'll switch the winches back on and race non-spinnaker with Aidan and Byron.
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-12-2021 at 05:54 PM.

Well, I signed up just because, but if that's where this is going, and I agree that it certainly seems that way, I'll likely just go and scalp my ticket to the sold out show.

back to being DONE with the bay racing. At least the SINGLEHANDED Farallones is still for singlehanders only.

DH
    Last edited by DaveH; 03-12-2021 at 11:09 AM.

I signed up solo and non spin despite being more than ready to fly the kite for the RTR (which stood at 116 at 1126 am). I figure I can sail my own race keeping with the organization mission and spirit. Most double handers and solo kite flyers will not be close to me given the advantage. I will get and give the room I need to make the marks safely and will make the best of it. I do love sailing with friends and family but I can see why so many want to hold the line of this unique racing society. there are many other organizations where i can chose to sail double handed or crewed. I hope the double handed folks make a better effort than they did in the last race when it comes to consideration of those solo racing, the room needed to make safer choices in a mixed fleet crowd, and the true Corinthian aspirations of this club which guides us all.
    Last edited by Black Jack; 03-12-2021 at 12:48 PM.
    Without friends, none of this would be possible.

I thought the general consensus is to have single and double-handed courses as was the case last year. I'm surprised there were no protests on the Corinthian race since that would maybe send a message to obey the rules.

Just saw the sailing instructions - looks like we are all on the same course. I will plan on the very best weather and something called 'Champaign sailing'....

I realize it's an initial list but the Sailing Instructions don't have a DH Sportboat division.

Name:  giphy-downsized.gif
Views: 881
Size:  1.56 MB