Thread: Update on the Round The Rocks Race from the SSS Race Committee

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Update on the Round The Rocks Race from the SSS Race Committee

Notes on the Round The Rocks Race

SIs for the RTR race have been posted on Jibeset.

Given ongoing Covid social distancing requirements for race deck participants, we decided to limit registrations to 180 for this race, with first-registration preference given to existing SSS members. As of Sunday 3/14 there are ~140 registered boats.

We continue to work to minimize boat-on-boat congestion points in our races, particularly for singlehanded entrants. While we experimented last year with separate SH and DH courses, this leads to season scoring issues for one-design fleets that wish to have all boats (SH&DH) race together in the same start and over the same course. This year we are returning to a single course for all boats, spreading out the DH and SH fleets to minimize contact.

In addition to the Express 27s, J/105s, and Moore 24s, we are adding a dedicated start for the combined Alerion 28 and WylieCat 30 fleets (both SH/DH boats together). If requested, we will add dedicated starts for additional designs with 5+ registered boats.

Note that we are asking all finishers to record their finish time as a back-up to the race committee records. Skippers do not need to report their finish time unless contacted by the race committee.

We would welcome additional race deck volunteers! We’d also love to find someone with a bigger boat than mine to serve as starting race deck. Please contact us at [racechair at sfbaysss dot org] if you (or your boat) are available.

Lastly, huge thanks from the race committee to everyone in the SSS community for their continued understanding and flexibility as we make our way through another challenging season. We are working hard to put on another successful race, and we look forward to seeing you all out there.

Tom Boussie - SSS Race Chair

Tom, I don't understand. I entered "NANCY" (Wyliecat 30) in the singlehanded PHRF division since there were not going to be Wyliecat 30s sailing singlehanded. Now I see I start with both single and double handed Wyliecats. How is this going to be scored? I didn't sign up to sail in a mixed fleet. I signed up to sail singlehanded against singlehanded boats. Whose decision was this anyway? Pat Broderick

Tom and Pat,
    I plan to change my registration to PHRF and start with the boats that I will be racing against. This has previously be done by the Express 27 singlehanders.

...don

Can someone tell me how this Class Division is going to work? Because my spinal stenosis is back and I don't think I can sail alone i'm switching to the doublehanded division. I see the combined single/double handed Wyliecat 30s are supposed to start together at 11:45. My Doublehanded desired PHRF 109 - 139 Class is scheduled to start at 11:30. How are you going to score me? Who am I racing against? I just plain @#%^! don't understand! And I'm not happy about that. I want to race in the PHRF classs! -- Pat Broderick

Please note the SI update to a 2 course race to separate SH and DH better. Posted Monday evening.

https://www.sfbaysss.org/forum/showt...OW-TWO-COURSES