Thread: Kauai Sailing Association

Default Kauai Sailing Association

I don't remember this organization being on the island in 2008. Are they new? Very cool outfit.

https://kauaisailing.org/

https://www.facebook.com/KauaiSailing/

Kids, sailing, marine education, and more.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Alan,
    KSA seems to be an arm or associated with the Nawiliwili YC, and appears to operate near or out of the old Nawiliwili YC two story building at the small boat harbor.

Nawiliwili YC has apparently moved down Waapa road a mile towards Lihue town, next door to the Anchor Cove Shopping Mall, but remains on the waterfront.

Fun news is the backbone of the Nawilwili YC fleet are 6 Olson-30's, all or part of past SHTP races. These Olson-30's include KATO, FAST COMPANY, WEATHERLY, OZONE, SPEEDY, and DOUBLE EXPRESSO, which won the most recent Nawiliwili to Hanalei Race.
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-18-2021 at 01:59 PM.

I think, but do not know, that there are some medium ugly island politics involved with the how & why the KSA, which used to be the Junior program for Nawiliwili YC now is a separate entity and operating out of the old yacht club space, which is actually owned by the city (or county, I can't recall).

Not saying anything bad about either organization, or local politics for that matter, I just know there's a back story.

DH

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    . . . , I just know there's a back story.

DH
    Here is what I understand from reading online news of the club years ago: The issue was brewing back in 2016 when NYC's lease expired. The problem was that NYC is not a charitable organization. Although it is a non-profit association for income tax purposes, it is not a 501(c)(3) charity. And evidently to be the state's lessee of the property at the non-commercial rate you have to be a 501(c)(3). So turning the facility over to KSA was the way to keep the property in non-profit hands that are affiliated with the club.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32