Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shorthanded #1/#3 jib swaps

Quote Originally Posted by tiger beetle View Post
    it's fairly easy to rig up a second tiller from the base of the mast pointing forward so you can stand at the mast and still steer the boat with your feet.
    - rob/beetle
    Years ago, I heard someone describe a similar setup without a tiller. The line from the true tiller was just routed all the way around the rail on blocks, crossing the foredeck. There was a bungee cord from the stem fitting to this line to keep it in tension. You would have to bend over and yank on the line by hand, so it's not quite as slick as Dan's auxiliary tiller.

I tried this idea once; it didn't work particularly well for me. With more attention to reducing friction it would have been better.

Max

Quote Originally Posted by nathandevries View Post
    a bungee setup that allows us to keep the #1/#3 on deck when unused.
    For sure. I have two lengths of bungee on each side, each one tied to the toerail at both ends with a plastic hook in the middle. They're about 6' long and they overlap. It's pretty quick and easy to grab the hook under the dropped jib, bring it inboard and back outboard over the sail, and hook it to the lifeline. More realistically, we just hook anything to anything asap.