Thread: Twin Headsail question for racing

Default Twin Headsail question for racing

In accordance with the purpose of these races, the following equipment and practices
    are allowed: ii. Twin headsails set on two poles for downwind sailing. This modifies RRS 50.2.

So the question is - does this reference fall under spin or non-spin class when racing in the SSS?
    Last edited by Black Jack; 03-25-2021 at 01:12 PM.
    Without friends, none of this would be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Jack View Post
    In accordance with the purpose of these races, the following equipment and practices are allowed: ii. Twin headsails set on two poles for downwind sailing. This modifies RRS 50.2.
    So the question is - does this reference fall under spin or non-spin class when racing in the SSS?
    This question is properly addressed directly to the Race Chair or PRO, the only personages who can modify the RRS in the NOR. I am not that person. Asking here in general terms risks un-official or uninformed opinions.

I have queried the PRO of the CBC. Her opinion may not be that of the SSS. She says,"'Twin headsails set on two poles for downwind sailing' applies to any CBC race, not to classes unless so stated. If you fly legal jibs, you may wing them out as 'twins' using two poles attached to the front of the mast whether they be spinnaker poles or whisker poles. The pole length may not exceed the LP of the jib being poled out. Two poles may not be used flying a spinnaker except when gybing. It makes no difference for flying twin jibs in CBC racing if your boat has a spinnaker or just jibs (non-spinnaker class)."

I've cruised and raced many thousands of miles with twin jibs and poles of various dimensions. If you have any practical questions not associated with SSS Rules, feel free to visit "New Boat 4 Sled" with your query. John Letcher, Jr. also has excellent discussion and photos of twins in his classic Self-Steering for Sailing Craft. Highly recommended.

I recall this question from the RTR skipper's meeting. I remembered the answer as "One shall not fly twin headsails in a Non Spinnaker division."

This makes sense since there can be marginal differences between chute & twins when sailing deep, short handed, and in a decent breeze or blow.

Thanks for answer