Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Insurance

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    12

    Default Insurance

    Any suggestions for reputable boat insurers for the race?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,292

    Default

    This gets asked every race and the short answer is No.

    Don't tell them you're singlehanding and make sure there's no exclusion for it. That may get you to 200 nm offshore. Beyond that, you're probably self-insured.

    If someone knows differently for a solo race to Hawaii, please let us know.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Hilo, HI
    Posts
    282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    This gets asked every race and the short answer is No.

    Don't tell them you're singlehanding and make sure there's no exclusion for it. That may get you to 200 nm offshore. Beyond that, you're probably self-insured.
    . . .
    Yep, that's my conclusion. My policy says I'm covered in "coastal waters of the US and Canada", and offers no definition of that term. The US exerts authority over its coastal waters out to 200 nm, so arguably I'm covered for the first 200 and last 200 nm of each crossing. Not a definitive answer, but good enough for me.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    1

    Default

    I concur with what has been said. In 2019 I extended my insurance coverage to Mexico. The addendum came back written with the clause “must have a minimum of three sailors on board.”

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    36

    Default A word of caution...

    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Sailor View Post
    Yep, that's my conclusion. My policy says I'm covered in "coastal waters of the US and Canada", and offers no definition of that term. The US exerts authority over its coastal waters out to 200 nm, so arguably I'm covered for the first 200 and last 200 nm of each crossing. Not a definitive answer, but good enough for me.
    I found my insurance company (GEICO) interprets their language to mean the policy becomes void and is automatically cancelled for breach of contract if I leave the covered area. They don't consider it just suspended while I'm outside the 200 mile limit, and they don't consider it an active policy just because I re-enter the covered area later. Mine found out, well after the fact, that I had done the 2018 SHTP without telling them and threatened to cancel/not renew just a couple of months ago for 2021. This time I know they are watching both the PACCUP and SHTP sites to see if boats they cover are racing without telling them. It can be a bad thing if they cancel your policy for a breach -- if you try to get coverage later they may consider you a "bad risk" for having broken their rules. This year I'll do what I did do once several years ago, i.e. cancel the policy myself as " no longer needed" when I cross the 200 mile point, then apply for a new policy when I get back, all with the help of my good agent.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
    I found my insurance company (GEICO) interprets their language to mean the policy becomes void and is automatically cancelled for breach of contract if I leave the covered area. They don't consider it just suspended while I'm outside the 200 mile limit, and they don't consider it an active policy just because I re-enter the covered area later. Mine found out, well after the fact, that I had done the 2018 SHTP without telling them and threatened to cancel/not renew just a couple of months ago for 2021. This time I know they are watching both the PACCUP and SHTP sites to see if boats they cover are racing without telling them. It can be a bad thing if they cancel your policy for a breach -- if you try to get coverage later they may consider you a "bad risk" for having broken their rules. This year I'll do what I did do once several years ago, i.e. cancel the policy myself as " no longer needed" when I cross the 200 mile point, then apply for a new policy when I get back, all with the help of my good agent.
    This is also exactly the same thing as what I heard from my insurance. It's better to cancel it right before the race. That's why I would have to get the boat re-surveyed once I get to Kauai for the crew delivery trip home in the original 2020 SHTP race in order to get the boat insured again. In 2021, they don't want to do anything like this at all.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,971

    Default

    Not even Pantaenius?

    ...though they probably won't cover singlehanders.
    S-2 7.9: "Wildcat of Loch Awe"
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •