Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by seawisdom View Post
    Ouch, I don't see how I can participate in this race without getting insurance coverage in Hawaii. My underwriter just told me that no carrier she knows would underwrite such policy after the SHTP race, not even just a simple liability coverage to satisfy the State of Hawaii. Any ideas? This must be a problem for all participants of SHTP?
    It would be a huge shame for all the efforts of preparing for this race and to withdraw because of the lack of insurance in Hawaii.
    A couple of behind-the-scenes e-mails reminded me that when you are not the target of Hawaii officialdom, enforcement is mostly determined by whether the waves are surfable.

If you're sailing down to Nawiliwili to haul out for shipping, you might call Larry Conklin and ask him about all this. It may also be an issue if you plan to cruise the islands after the race.

Re insuring the boat, most of us recognize that the SHTP is not an insurable activity. Will, your situation is complicated by your need for liability insurance for the return crew. I'd look for a delivery skipper who isn't as concerned about the insurance situation and may do it solo or with one other person (who also isn't worried about the insurance situation). I know of one who delivered a boat back to SF after its keel fell off. That kind of guy.

Fingers crossed for everyone re: insurance and Hawaii regulations.
    Last edited by AlanH; 04-09-2021 at 04:28 PM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by seawisdom View Post
    So for many of us doing the SHTP, this race could turn into a LongPac with the turning point at Hanalei Bay? Or Bernard Moitessier's "The Long Way"... kind of inspiring if I think of it that way.
    You could do it as a two-legged race, allowing provisioning at the turning mark. Everyone would get their 3 days free anchorage, no permit or insurance required, and Morning Star will be on station in Hanalei Bay with her Torqeedo-powered dinghy for water taxi service. And we could take finish times for leg one and start times for leg 2. I'm planning on sailing to Kauai this summer whether there is a race or not, and will be happy to see any of you who want to drop by while I'm there.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32