Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No Autopilot?

Default No Autopilot?

Next you'll be asking us to rig ratlines, carry cutlasses and eat hard tack for lunch.

I will, however, gladly welcome the rum ration.

Oh, yeah! I'll join that get back to basics class for racing seamanship. Maybe include a no GPS either provision either, with cell phone stashed securely in cabin the way in a JFK did it. Style will count in my personal rating measure when tallying of the division points.

Name:  tumblr_msmcyqzXqA1s3wt2ko1_400.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  53.3 KB
    Last edited by Black Jack; 04-04-2021 at 08:17 AM.
    Without friends, none of this would be possible.

No GPS? How about adding no instruments, except maybe the depth sounder for safety?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Jack View Post
    Oh, yeah! I'll join that get back to basics class for racing seamanship. Maybe include a no GPS either provision either, with cell phone stashed securely in cabin the way in a JFK did it. Style will count in my personal rating measure when tallying of the division points.

Name:  tumblr_msmcyqzXqA1s3wt2ko1_400.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  53.3 KB
    So, style counts more than proper sail trim?... this photo's now a classic, but it's always bugged me looking at the 15+ degrees of weather helm.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    So, style counts more than proper sail trim?... this photo's now a classic, but it's always bugged me looking at the 15+ degrees of weather helm.
    I always gave him the benefit of the doubt that he was caught in a puff when the photo was taken beleiving that a beauty aboard took his mind off his sailing for moment.

it sure would help our recreation if a high profile modern icon american was an avid sailor. We could use one about now.
    Without friends, none of this would be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by jkalucki View Post
    No GPS? How about adding no instruments, except maybe the depth sounder for safety?
    Who the heck needs a depth sounder. Get the old lead line out of the garage. If we're going to do it, lets do it. No plastic hulls either!

If you don't have one in the garage here's a pretty sweet looking lead line from Landfall Navigation.

https://www.landfallnavigation.com/n...hoCtq0QAvD_BwE

I was surprised you could even buy one these days.

Quote Originally Posted by mike cunningham View Post
    Who the heck needs a depth sounder. Get the old lead line out of the garage. If we're going to do it, lets do it. No plastic hulls either! If you don't have one in the garage here's a pretty sweet looking lead line from Landfall Navigation. I was surprised you could even buy one these days.
    Don't forget the tallow.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Don't forget the tallow.
    I understand that peanut butter works pretty well.
    Tom P.

All joking aside, I understand the value of getting back to basics. I am just thinking about those long...long helm sessions fighting an opposing current in 5 kts of wind.
    Last edited by mike cunningham; 04-05-2021 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mike cunningham View Post
    All joking aside, I understand the value of getting back to basics. I am just thinking about those long...long helm sessions fighting an opposing current in 5 kts of wind.
    One of the speakers at the virtual Worldwide Wooden Boat Show (or similar) title talked about the virtues of traditional wooden boat designs. Some large designs with huge sail area could be handled by 2 sailors. The boats could grounded with minimal impact, and repaired locally if damage occurred. The weather forecasting (or lack thereof) was countered by designs that will lie ahull during storm conditions.

The presentation was well presented and gave the most informed view of traditional craft I ever heard.

But, my Moore 24 is more fun to sail.

Ants