Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No Autopilot?

Default More Pretty Penny

It was nice sailing alongside on the beat back.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Bombora View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by everydaysailor View Post
    It was nice sailing alongside on the beat back.
    Thank you for those pictures. It is silly how much I love this old boat, the difference it has made during this long year and all the fun I have had sailing with the SSS sailors and fleet. With this break coming up, I can begin to finish the projects on her and the upgrades that will make the difference in my finishes. Yes, sailing home on the beat was nice and fast. Having a hand on the tiller most of the time did not let me take many pictures of the other boats in our outing that are so remarkable. I'll work on that too.

Let me know if any of you want a special t-shirt. If the SSS decides I would be glad to share my design that has evolved since the first image posting.
    Last edited by Black Jack; 04-25-2021 at 04:35 PM.
    Without friends, none of this would be possible.

The only sail I passed Saturday was my own spinnaker.
    Twice.
    My race started ugly and never fully recovered.
    I failed to rig the lifeline netting causing the pre rigged kite to shrimp (in the sock) right after the start. 2nd bad call was leaving RR to stbd and watching the Wylie boats horizon me. I used an A5 in a sock after the bridge and it worked fine including the socking at the Sisters in close quarters with a boat to leeward.
    Even while socked the jibe was messy (you still have to throw the sail around the forestay) and resetting was ugly.
    I had a "V" system from the stern cleats wrapped on the tiller which could be slid aft to loosen. Unfortunately the pin for the AP drive kept the slide method from working adequately.
    The other system was a line tied across the cockpit which worked fine for the upwind stuff.
    Downwind sail handling/steering was just running back and forth. Not particularly safe or smart.
    Overshot the Sisters and had a jibe or two unplanned- not good.
    Squared everything away and had a grand broad reach to Pt. Pinole where the kite socked easily but the douse ended horribly with another sock shrimp. I forgot how heavy it would be when smoking the halyard!
    The beat back wasn't too bad but with a 3 and full main I was overpowered. After getting through the San Pablo chop it was pretty sweet sailing. The boat steered easily with the tiller tied slightly to weather for a good 10 minutes while I cleaned up the pile of wet line in the cockpit.
    The best part of the day was actually the close reach back to Pier 39. The single line reefing worked perfectly - why didn't I reef on the last leg of the race?
    Oh well.
    Glad I came out. I knew going in it was a likely shit show and would have had more fun with my Express classmates but guess I had to see for myself. Thanks for organizing the race.
    I won't be flying a kite solo in a bay race without an AP again. Maybe just me but it seems to ecourage unseamanlike decisions!
    Curious to hear if anyone else set a kite sans AP. I would like an edited T shirt.
    -CJordan

That was a really fun day. I should have entered the no AP division. I was on the helm almost the entire race.

H2OShots has photos from the 2021 SSS North Bay race up here:
    https://www.h2oshots.com/2021-Sailin...-Bay/i-CzXKRLs

A timelapse video of my race:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBMwLQt5ugI