Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: 2021 SHTP Scuttlebutt

Yes, Kyle stopped by and said hello just prior to the start. I just got the plaques from the engraver.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Excellent podcast from Robb and Jim! Well done, Christine! Thanks for posting this. It's like having another "Tree Time" via a podcast.

I don't know about anybody else, Will, but I would sure be interested in hearing about your progress regarding Sea Wisdom. My understanding is that you planned to fly over to Nawilwili on the 12th of this month in order to sail her to Honolulu.

How is it going for her? How is it going for you? It must be agonizing to find her still so far away and not yet in her home port?

I second this excellent podcast is informative and personal. Well done, Christine, Robb, and Jim. Interesting to hear GREEN BUFFALO experienced the most squalls of her long Transpac career, 2-8/day. And that her full length battens exerted heavy side force on the mast track and sliders eventually causing partial failure. In answer to Jim's comment near the end regarding the sacred bronze belt buckles, no, they were not a feature of the first SHTP in 1978. I do knot know when they were first awarded. Somebody knows.

I don't know about anybody else, Will, but I would sure be interested in hearing about your progress regarding Sea Wisdom. My understanding is that you planned to fly over to Nawilwili on the 12th of this month in order to sail her to Honolulu.

How is it going for her? How is it going for you? It must be agonizing to find her still so far away and not yet in her home port?
    My delivery crew was able to work their magic and replace the old Harken's upper rudder bearing with a new PVI bearing at Nawiliwili. With the new upper rudder bearing, they actually sailed Sea Wisdom from Nawiliwili to Keehi Marina, at Oahu last week (without me). At Keehi, Sea Wisdom was put on a trailer and her mast was unstepped last week. She is being shipped over to San Diego and then trucked over to KKMI with an ETA of mid October. I'm grateful of all the help I received during this process.

That's great news, Will! Since she won't be coming hone through the gate we'll have to have some other kind of welcome home party for her. Cliff is on his way home. DM and I will welcome Rainbow outside and through the gate. Will advise in case others would like to join us.
    Again, wonderful news for you!
    Last edited by Philpott; 09-21-2021 at 12:58 PM.

Will, glad to hear things are progressing!

Cliff Shaw arrived back in the bay aboard Rainbow yesterday. Dura Mater and I sailed out to greet him, moseyed around Bonita Cove for awhile, in the anchorage area, which is huge. Depth is 40-45 deep and then, quickly, shallower. Didn't know where the rocks were, so stayed along the periphery. It was a nice day out there, the waves coming back in were big and close together. A little scary for me, but not for DM. She surfed!

Cliff got caught in a gale about 300 nm offshore and it put off his return by about a week. Maybe he'll tell us about it some day? Maybe there will be an SHTP debrief some day?

Name:  Rainbow 100621 (3).jpg
Views: 844
Size:  190.6 KB

Name:  under the bridge and home (3).jpg
Views: 779
Size:  558.8 KB

Here's DM's track from Wednesday when we went out to greet Cliff. What is that huge burst of yellow? As you can see, we spent a good deal of time sailing back and forth. While we did, I made a pot of coffee and ate lunch. Could've anchored. Maybe should've. But that's so yesterday.

Name:  DM in the Golden Gate 100621.jpg
Views: 1322
Size:  168.8 KB

Thanks to Ray for the screenshot