Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 SHTP Scuttlebutt

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Did you, or did you not, give me a whole bag of these? (I know, "What happens on E-dock STAYS on E-dock.")
    Oh. Those are roach clips? Who knew?

This thread is for serious ocean crossers.

So far I have four votes and the Orange on Navy is ahead.
    Last edited by Philpott; 04-27-2021 at 10:39 PM.

Default SHTP 2021 Participant List: Update

Name:  2021 Participants 042821.jpg
Views: 1514
Size:  637.5 KB

Default what are we doing out there?

There will be 5 boats from here in the Pacific Northwest I believe, including someone who has won the SHTP and has to be a threat in his Westsail 32. Personally speaking (Perplexity) I have been consumed with the prep on top of the rest of life. One thing we recently noticed in the SERs is the inspection by June 5. Some of us won't be in SF by then? We have sent some inquiries and have yet to receive a response.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Back in the early 1800s the cask containing a ship's daily supply of freshwater was called a ‘scuttlebutt’. By the early 20th century the term for the water source was also applied to the gossip and rumors generated around it.
    Merriam-Webster

You singlehanders registered for the 2021 Singlehanded Transpacific Yacht Race: What are you doing out there ?!!?

Tonight the Race Committee met to discuss the latest issues. We talked sponsors, jackets, airfares and weather synopses for the first week offshore.

We talked about whether Skip Allan plans to attend the Skippers meeting on Friday June 18 in order to give you a heads up regarding your first three days out the gate. Will he or won't he? Only Sleddog knows for sure.

Where will the skippers meeting be held? We still don't know, although this weekend the Richmond Yacht Club will begin to serve meals inside to members with reservations, so hope springs eternal that we may be able to stage the race at that venue.

Will the Race Committee be able to finish you in Hanalei Bay? Yes, because the Kahuna has found us a condo overlooking the finish line and Lee Johnson of s/v Morning Star will be on station. Lee did the race in style in 2018. Unless he objects, Morning Star will be festooned with distinctive lights so even if you finish in the middle of the night during a squall you will see MS and she will be all that your heart desires: A focus for those sleep deprived eyes of yours.

We talked about which local merchants we can hit up for money and goods to offset race costs, and how expensive rental cars have become in Kauai and everywhere else.

So, post what ya got here. Are you having trouble with your emergency rudder deployment? Are you still putting off doing that qualifier? Would you prefer to go out the gate at the same time as another boat for this (very) Late Pac? Well, you'd better get going. Or at least post your concerns and/or achievements here.

All we have so far is rumour and gossip and what you have attached via Jibeset. Which ain't much so far.

You have all been sent each other's emails privately, but maybe you really do believe those stories about singlehanders not having friends and smelling bad. That may all be true but sometimes you need help or feedback. So post away. Someone else may be having the same issues.

Northwester, I've sent you a PM re inspection. We should talk.

Attention Pacific Northwesterners: Don't worry your pretty little heads about inspections. Mike Cunningham s/v Jacqueline, Freedom 30, might be coming up to inspect one or two of you, and we have people everywhere just waiting for the nod to inspect your boats. Would we hang you out to dry? No! We want you to come down here and then sail over there!

Now will you please send me your jacket sizes?

Here's something to get your hearts beating faster: http://vimeo.com/45337257

With 49 days to launch, looks like 16 entries remain. A major challenge to race the SHTP, often underestimated, is to physically cross the start line. Fingers crossed, but if history is any guide, not all remaining entries will meet this challenge.

I currently see 3 pre-race favorites*, with another 3 in the second row. However, I'm not familiar with some of the PNW boats or their skippers. Again, if history is any guide, the PNW can and will send at least one significant challenger..

* to be a favorite in my book, one must have at least three of the following four: 1) racing to Hawaii experience as skipper or crew. 2) a stout, well shaken down vessel. 3) equipment and ability to sail one's vessel singlehanded near max potential. 4) Ability to successfully gybe at night in breeze (TWS>18 knots)...

Please note I have said nothing about having spinnaker experience. That can be as much a hindrance as help and has proven such in the past.
    Last edited by sleddog; 05-01-2021 at 03:55 PM.

So if this years winner was the SSS commodore in the past do they "volunteer" again? Or are there term limits?

Default New Racer!

What is this? A little Saturday night excitement: A new SHTP sailor. What do we know about Donald Poppe? Only that he is from Santa Barbara, a member of the Santa Barbara Yacht Club. I stayed in the Santa Barbara Marina last fall. That's a swanky place. Maybe he'll post a bit about himself here, invite us to visit him at the SBYC sometime. Let's be nice to him.

Name:  2021 Shtp participans050121.jpg
Views: 1640
Size:  608.5 KB

Aloha is now signed up for both Ditch and SHT. The Ditch is pretty demanding itself with either a long delivery back or trailer time with hours of breakdown/set up, so this is most ambitious.
    In 2015 we finished a Windjammers before dark on Outsider. The next boat, a Farr 40, arrived 45 minutes later. We packed the boat up and drove back to Alameda by 10pm or so. The next morning Outsider was rolling down to Benecia in the Jazz Cup. Fast turn arounds are possible but damn! If you need an extra hand Aloha give us a holler - we plan on making this race.
    CJordan
    The Pork Chop Express
    Last edited by everydaysailor; 05-02-2021 at 11:25 AM.