Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 SHTP Scuttlebutt

Quote Originally Posted by seawisdom View Post
    Thanks for sending out the Comm Plan today. Just to confirm, is the SHTP RC email ssstranspacific@sfbaysss.org or transpacific@sfbaysss.org? I asked because the Comm Plan email was copied to ssstranspacific@sfbaysss.org, but the Comm Plan document lists transpacific@sfbaysss.org as the RC. Please confirm which email address to use. Thanks!
    Excellent question, Captain Lee. Through trial and error, here is the SHTP RC email that goes directly to the RC Chair:

TRANSPACIFIC@SFBAYSSS.ORG

The correction will be made to the Communication Plan along with last minute details such as contact phone numbers etc. and distributed to everyone before the final Skippers Meeting on June 18.

There are many squirrelly issues this year, including the sad loss of the Sea Squirrel which has been sold. Larry Conklin promises a better boat, but really? Sometimes better isn't the sentimental favorite. What is the name of the newer, better boat? Larry says that the name will occur organically. So consider the options on your ride over. Looking forward to seeing you in Hanalei Bay.

Default Clarification ?

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    May 6, 2021

The Race Committee held a zoom last evening with most of the SHTP registered sailors. Here’s an update:

The race start will be off the Golden Gate Yacht club on the City Front, just east of the Golden Gate Bridge. The first warning signal will be at 12:55. Fleets to be announced.

Jibeset is now open again. If you have not already uploaded documentation regarding completion of your qualifying sail, PHRF certificate etc, please do that. It is also open for final registration payments, which are due May 15.

We are very hopeful that the RYC will approve staging in the RYC harbor, and that some kind of luncheon will be possible on Friday June 18.
    If you call or email him, Jim Quanci will arrange for a diver at your boat in the RYC harbor in one of the days prior to the race. This is, obviously, not included in your registration fee.

s/v Morning Star and Lee Johnson, 2018 SHTP vet, will be on station in Hanalei Bay 24/7, but his boat IS NOT a finish mark. A virtual location determined by latitude and longitude will be provided for the finish.

The Yellow House will not be available for sleep deprived sailors this year. The race committee will be housed in a condo up in Princeville with a full view of the finish.

Larry Conklin will make a rib available to the club for finishing, and members of the RC will be out there to greet you when you arrive, night or day.We will monitor your arrival via your tracker and VHF Channel 69.

The final communication plan will be available May 8/9 on Jibeset.

The crate: Contact David Herrigel regarding possible use of the crate. It has a limited capacity at approximately 45 cubic feet. Due to shipping schedules, it must be sent during the first week of June in order to arrive on Kauai in time, so contact David NOW if you want to send something.

There will be another skipper Zoom meeting approximately two weeks before the race and Tracker testing will occur at some point. Updates to follow via email.

Attachment 6459

And most important: Yes. There Will Be Boat Buckles.
    In case anyone else is confused, as I was, I finally figured out that even though Jibeset still says registration is closed, the "Update" button is live, and the final fee can be paid, registration info updated, etc.

Anyone know where to find the preferred format for qualifying cruise log?
    Thanks,
    Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
    . . . the preferred format for qualifying cruise log?
    I don't think there is one. I used the cruising log book (Evergreen) that I had on hand at the time, and submitted a PDF of the pages the qualifier filled. First of those:

Name:  M-Star Qualifier log_Page_1.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  267.6 KB
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Default Race Committee Update

Update from the SHTP Race Committee Zoom meeting 8pm 051721. Inspections are ongoing. David Garman, s/v Giant Slayer from the 2016 SHTP did us a solid and inspected a boat up his way. Peter Heiberg, s/v Scaramouche V from the 2014 race (and an earlier SHTP, too) agreed to inspect a boat up in British Columbia. Buglighters: They’re everywhere!

Tom Boussie and Bob Johnston have done local inspections and Mike Cunningham, race inspector, is trying to maintain organized files on everybody. Good luck with that, Mr Cunningham.

We are waiting on the final word regarding staging at Richmond Yacht Club and also the loading of the crate. The crate will probably end up in a parking space at RYC for a week or so. We will provide a contact so sailors can make arrangements to deliver crate items before the first week in June, when it must be loaded onto a Matson ship in time to arrive in Kauai by the time racers get there. Keep an eye on this site for more about this.

Brian Boschma has provided the Coast Guard with all documentation needed in order to obtain the race permit here in the Bay. Thank you to Laura at YRA for her help with all that.

Greg Ashby is in contact with the Nawiliwili contingent regarding the awards ceremony on island. What will that look like? We have no idea. Seriously. But there will be an awards ceremony, even if it just looks like this:

Name:  skip at tree.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  418.4 KB
    Skip Allan explains it all in 1978.

And finally, for those of you who appreciate tradition: Yes, Mama Shama will be there at the start of the race with that silken voice of hers.

Shama Kota-Gutheti and Peter Hogg s/v Tainui, SHTP 1984, 1986 and 1988, and s/v Aotea, SHTP 1990 and 1994, will be on the City Front with everyone else in front of the Golden Gate Yacht Club to see you off and out the Gate.

Hula update: Currently in Eureka, my Westsail and I are taking our sweet time on our delivery from Driftwood Key (15 miles north of Seattle) to the Bay Area. All is going smoothly except for the spaghetti sauce jar that mysteriously decided to open all by itself. I thought, “Why does this place smell like an Italian restaurant?”.
    The guys I met in Coos Bay in the 45’ ketch who lost their kayaks and bent up their bow pulpit are now big fans of my plan to harbor hop down the coast and wait for good weather!
    Someone tell Peter Hogg and Shama that Skymuffin (Peter told me in ‘88 that it means “brave sailor warrior” in Maori) is very excited to see both of them again!
    See you all soon, Bill Stange. HULA Westsail 32.

In case you all want to watch Bill Stange as he sails down the coast, here's his garmin site: https://share.garmin.com/Bill2SF

Well, he's eating dinner right now. Bill, tell us more about your friends in the 45' ketch. Have you calmed them down?
    Last edited by Philpott; 05-21-2021 at 05:10 PM.

We met Dennis Maggard in Hanalei Bay in 2018. Aboard his Creelock Pamela Dennis offered us shade from the sun, protection from the squalls and serious coffee.

Hailing from Apple territory down on the Peninsula, Dennis just happened to be there at the same time as the 2018 SHTP buglighters and company. He dragged people around in his little dinghy and was generally delightful. He remains delightful, and today I received a text from him.

He is in Hanalei Bay again aboard Pamela, this time with his son. He sends his greetings to everybody from 2018 and looks forward to seeing us again when we arrive. Here is the text from Dennis, and a photo: "Of course you and Synthia are welcome aboard s/v Pamela. I have to raise anchor and start my way back by about July 6, alas, due to a planned sojourn in Alaska, so I'll miss the better part of the SHTP fleet's arrival ... meanwhile, I'm sitting under the Tree and thinking of you."

Name:  The Tree 052121.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  342.1 KB

So, even though we won't be staying at the Yellow House this year, it looks like the tree is healthy and waiting for us.

Here's another video from 2018: https://vimeo.com/304265355

We'll try to do this again. Maybe have it done professionally. haha. No. Not really.
    Last edited by Philpott; 05-21-2021 at 10:13 PM.

Is anyone is able to fill a CNG tank once we get to Richmond from Seattle? I assume not but thought I would ask anyway!