Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 SHTP Scuttlebutt

Thanks everyone for organizing the gathering at RYC. When is the best time to arrive at RYC on 6/17? The afternoon wind is a bit gnarly, it could reach 30 knots at times. Docking solo under that condition is demanding. Any recommendation? Will surely need help here. Thanks!
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by seawisdom View Post
    Thanks everyone for organizing the gathering at RYC. When is the best time to arrive at RYC on 6/17? The afternoon wind is a bit gnarly, it could reach 30 knots at times. Docking solo under that condition is demanding. Any recommendation? Will surely need help here. Thanks!
    Will
    We'll be sending an email out to everyone. All eleven of you ;-)

Boats are welcome to arrive anytime on Thursday. We'll be using VHF channel 72. Call when you enter Potrero Reach and we can negotiate your approach. There will be alot of us around, and we'll be ready to catch your docklines. By then we'll have a good idea of where to recommend you tie up. Sea Wisdom will go along one of the side ties for sure.

Watch out for dinghies sailing in and out. Lotsa big kids and little kids sailing all the time out of RYC and Brickyard Cove.

Default Northern Star is in

SHTP Race Chair Brian Boschma watches for Northern Star's approach

Name:  IMG-0093 - Copy.JPG
Views: 805
Size:  305.2 KB

James (Jamie) Wylly is in a slip two up from Surprise! in the Richmond Yacht Harbor, surrounded by boats preparing for tomorrow morning's Delta Ditch Run.

Name:  IMG-0101 - Copy.JPG
Views: 801
Size:  266.9 KB

He makes docking look easy.
    Last edited by Philpott; 06-11-2021 at 06:17 PM.

Default Aloha Luncheon reservations required by Monday June 14

We need to advise the caterer (Artisan Cafe of Marina Bay) of the meals ordered by June 14 at noon. Please make your reservations here: https://www.jibeset.net/ourregatta.p...yes&CLUB=JACKY

Any questions, pm me here or ask someone under the age of 16 to help you.

Gents, I can't join this year, but will try to say hello on Friday and join you for a few hours out of the gate in solidarity aboard Barcanova. Looking forward to seeing everyone out there, and good luck!

Erik Simonsen of the sailing blog Pressure Drop, will be photographing you all at the start of the race. Will he try to get the Golden Gate in the background? Always. Will he photograph your boat only when your sails are trimmed and tell tales are flowing straight back? Well, you'll have to help him with that.

Regardless, a smiling sailor always makes for a better photo, so look for his boat and do that. Here's what his boat looks like.

Name:  Erik Simonsen's photo boat - Copy.JPG
Views: 845
Size:  279.8 KB

The RC will provide you with an 8 x 10 color photo of you and your boat at the start, so look lively and smile for his camera! Just this once.

The last week has been a flurry of running around organizing and greeting racers. I will try to thank everyone who has participated in this race, and also - to keep your attention - post some photographs. If you have anything to add, feel free to post here. If you have questions, post here. If you have complaints, email Joe. hahaha. Just kidding.

Thank you again to Richmond Yacht Club for hosting the 2021 Singlehanded Transpacific Yacht Race to Kauai. Thank you to Danny Harris, the best harbormaster anywhere, for carving out space for the racers. Here is Jamie Wylly in front of his Sabre NORTHERN STAR at the end of E Dock.

Name:  IMG-0101 - Copy.JPG
Views: 636
Size:  266.0 KB

Jamie gave us a tour of his gorgeous boat. The softest black leather cushions I've ever sat on. Ooooh. And shelves full of books. Wonder if they survived the bash out the gate? We'll find out in Hanalei Bay, won't we? Mike Cunningham told me Jamie left his stern pulpit barbeque at the dock. I guess that'll go up to Danny's table cuz it won't fit into my carry on luggage.

You may have read that Will Lee had issues (again) with his bilge out at the Farallones. He had that issue last time he sailed over to RYC for the Emergency Rudder Race. He aced that race. Maybe it's a positive omen.

Name:  Will in the bilge - Copy.JPG
Views: 644
Size:  237.6 KB

Go, Will!

There are a million details sailors must pay attention to as they prepare their boats and themselves for this race. The SSS Transpac Race Committee has a million details to deal with, too. Such as: Deciding what goes into the Racer Notebooksk. Race Chair Brian Boschma did that. Of course, he did a lot more than that behind the scenes, but I don't have a photograph of him there.

Here are Skip Allan and Brian, resting after stuffing the notebooks with Sailing Instructions, Communication Plan and miscellaneous important bits, such as the location of The Tree in Hanalei Bay. Jim Quanci s/v Green Buffalo supervised.

Name:  Jim Skip and Brian @ RYC.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  207.5 KB