Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: 2021 SHTP Scuttlebutt

As of 0730 pt he’s ~56 miles from center span doing ~6kts.

They apparently decided to come in at a more leisurely place. Perhaps they have less fuel than they thought?

At least they will be cleaner than yesterday, from the rain I wish had fallen here.

Hi Gang,
    Sorry to have missed the Tree fun. I had to hurry back to the mainland for work.
    Anyone know how I can get a belt buckle?
    Thanks!
    Mountain

Certainly Jamie was one of our favorites in Hanalei. Why not? He's smart, charming and funny. Oh, and he and John Wilkerson bought us dinner at Tahiti Nui. There was that. Here he is having a breakfast burrito just outside the gate.

Name:  Jamie and breakfast burrito.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  350.4 KB

Jamie arrived back at RYC this afternoon aboard Northern Star. He brought one of the big, heavy trophies back on NS. Said he could feel its heft every time the boat dove through a wave and I believe him. I suggested he deliver it to Green Buffalo, which carried back almost every other trophy. I doubt the SHTP RC will be dragging those around again.

After going up to Seattle briefly Jamie and Northern Star will be around for a couple of weeks, over on C dock at RYC. Here he is with Bob Johnston, prior to re-delivery of the barbeque Jamie left behind on E Dock.

Name:  IMG-0687.JPG
Views: 739
Size:  322.8 KB

After spending the night in Port Townsend John Wilkerson s/v Perplexity continued south today and is safe at home in Port Madison on Bainbridge Island.

Name:  2021SHTP-51.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  149.1 KB

... stopped for the night because of adverse currents and to get some rest. Glad to hear Jamie made it. The trip back was long, too long at some points, but I'm already fixed on the positive memories! I never had scary weather plus the boat sails so well I almost never used the motor. I calculated that I only used about half a tank (15 gals) for the whole trip (Seattle/SF/Kauai/Seattle, including motoring slowly for a day at the end).

Great to meet you and the crew. Thanks once again for all that you did to make the race possible. I'm looking forward to wearing my new jacket!

The Board has approved $$$'s to upgrade/refresh some of the SHTP trophies. Plaques were getting a bit corroded, the ordering was mysterious, likely due to the fact that the space on some trophies were running out of room, and plagues were a variety of sizes, fonts, and colors. This will cleaned up over the next two weeks. Example of problem trophy attached.

Trophies are an expensive item to haul around the planet. In future years if racers don't wish to carry them to and fro to Kauai, then we will likely bring photos and have the winners pick them up in the Bay Area.

BB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hmmm.... I am seeing a trophy for first ULDB to finish. The SSS SSI ULDB old rule was for ultralights with what I recall was a LOA limit for a ULDB. What I do see are many ULBD (Olson 30, Hobie 33, etc) and I also see some non-ULDB like a J/120 and a very un-ULDB Open 60. I also see Sundower in 2000 won it which was a water-ballasted SC50 hull build for the BOC Challenge, certainly not ULDB from any rule I remember. Not sure what the former/current SHTP rule is for a ULDB trophy but I'm pretty sure another boat should have won that in 2000. Way old water under the bridge at this point I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post
    Hmmm.... I am seeing a trophy for first ULDB to finish. The SSS SSI ULDB old rule was for ultralights with what I recall was a LOA limit for a ULDB. What I do see are many ULBD (Olson 30, Hobie 33, etc) and I also see some non-ULDB like a J/120 and a very un-ULDB Open 60. I also see Sundower in 2000 won it which was a water-ballasted SC50 hull build for the BOC Challenge, certainly not ULDB from any rule I remember. Not sure what the former/current SHTP rule is for a ULDB trophy but I'm pretty sure another boat should have won that in 2000. Way old water under the bridge at this point I guess.
    I suppose all that can be corrected with Board approval. Maybe a protest is in order ? Meanwhile I am proceeding with a rebuild of the labels and the creation of a more ordered plaque placement. Hopefully it will look good at Kyle's MIssion Bay Yacht Club in San Diego, where it will be housed for the next 18 months.

Brian

As a SHTP tradition geek, this is great news to me. Thanks Brian.

Speaking of ULDBs, Kyle was helping to double-hand Bloom County this weekend.
    Last edited by BobJ; 09-02-2021 at 09:50 PM.