Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 SHTP Scuttlebutt

As a member of the SHTP lookey-loo brigade, are there events (other than the start) where the lookey-loo's are tolerated? I have no interest in crashing an event that is set aside for participants, their support team, and the SHTP committee.

Just curious-

Ants

We will have another SHTP zoom meeting tonight, after which we hope to have clarification regarding several issues: staging, luncheon and the celebration on island.

Also. Other things.

Thank you for your patience. Dennis Maggard and his son, Julian, go back and forth 2x/day from the s/v Pamela, and he's conducting reconnissance for us. Lee Johnson arrives w friend, M.J. on Morning Star from Hilo sometime after May 30. Dennis says that will take Lee 3 days. They both have Crealocks, so that is probably about right.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Lee Johnson arrives w friend, M.J. on Morning Star from Hilo sometime after May 30. Dennis says that will take Lee 3 days. They both have Crealocks, so that is probably about right.
    Hi Jackie,

At least you spelled Crealock right this time but Morning Star is actually a Valiant 32. Can't wait to see everyone in Hanalei.

DolfinBill
    Crealock 37
    Last edited by dolfinbill; 05-24-2021 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dolfinbill View Post
    Hi Jackie, At least you spelled Crealock right this time but Morning Star is actually a Valiant 32. Can't wait to see everyone in Hanalei. DolfinBill Crealock 37
    Oh dear! That IS disturbing. I made a mash of sailors' names and phone numbers, too. If this incompetence continues, who knows? The luncheon at Richmond Yacht Club may end up being ham and orange cheese on white bread sandwiches wrapped in wax paper. With Safeway apples and a small flat bag of Lays potato chips. Or worse. Sigh. You just can't get good help anymore.

Looking forward to seeing you and Patty under the rainbow.

Jackie,

Actually I've always thought of you as the glue that holds the SSS together. Your contributions are legendary and I am in awe.

DolfinBill

The luncheon at Richmond Yacht Club may end up being ham and orange cheese on white bread sandwiches wrapped in wax paper. With Safeway apples and a small flat bag of Lays potato chips. Or worse.
    Hard to imagine worse; please don't anyone try!

Default SHTP Update 052521

SHTP update. Race Committee Zoom meeting Monday night. Although they are efficient, I am really tired of these zoom meetings.

We've been given the go ahead by Richmond Yacht Club to stage the boats there. Call it a cruise-in. Racers are welcome to arrive Thursday June 17 and stay until Saturday June 19. Email Danny Harris, RYC harbormaster @ Harbormaster@Richmondyc.org for location assignment before arrival.

SSS community and friends are invited to come visit, check out the boats, appreciate the audaciousness of people willing to sail across the Pacific alone.

Skip Allan has agreed to discuss the weather and give a course update at the Skippers’ meeting Friday morning June 18 at 10 am. To say that he knows this stuff is a serious understatement.

Lunch will follow @ noon. No cost to skippers, of course. We'll be ordering boxed lunches from a local café and yes, there will be vegetarian options. More about that later. Stay tuned.

All boats have been inspected, although there are always last minute issues. KKMI boat yard has a terrific chandlery right down the road from the RYC, there is a West Marine on the way to KKMI and just a bit beyond that is Whalepoint, an Ace hardware with an expansive inventory of sailing items.

The race start sequence will begin at approximately 10:55 am on Saturday June 19 off the Golden Gate Yacht Club. Skip has encouraged me to advise racers to give themselves plenty of time to get from the Richmond Yacht Club to what we call the City Front, which is where GGYC is located. Thanks to Bob Johnston for the maximum flood and ebb forecast at the gate on that date: Flood 1.1kt 0518, Ebb 2.5kt 1202, Flood 1.9kt 1717

We still aren’t able to confirm a formal ceremony in Kauai because of covid requirements over there. There will be some sort of ceremony, we just don’t know what it will look like yet. The official SSS Mai Tais may end up being unofficial.

There has been a $1 million upgrade to the park adjacent to the River in Hanalei Bay and there is now potable water via hose right there. Dennis Maggard, who is currently anchored in Hanalei Bay, says there is a trail down the hill from Princeville to the River: Bring headlamps and hiking boots because access via the actual road is very limited. Oh, and once you reach the River it needs to be crossed somehow. Huh. How’s that going to work? I have no idea.

Bill Stange (Hula) is tucked into Noyo Basin south of Ft Bragg on his way down the coast:
    https://share.garmin.com/Bill2SF

And Kyle Vanderspek plans to trailer Aloha up from San Diego early in order to participate in the Delta Ditch Run. Does he plan to race Aloha in the Ditch Run? No one knows. It’s a mystery.
    Last edited by Philpott; 05-25-2021 at 09:39 PM.

We've been given the go ahead by Richmond Yacht Club to stage the boats there. Call it a cruise-in. Racers are welcome to arrive Thursday June 17 and stay until Saturday June 19. Email Danny Harris, RYC harbormaster @ Harbormaster@Richmondyc.org for location assignment before arrival.

SSS community and friends are invited to come visit, check out the boats, appreciate the audaciousness of people willing to sail across the Pacific alone.
    Jackie, thanks for the update. The "cruise-in" sounds fun. I suppose this is different from the original plan of the boats being sequestered on June 17, so I assume it is optional for boats who are already near the starting line Regardless, I want to find my way there to say hello, on a boat or by a car.

Quote Originally Posted by seawisdom View Post
    Jackie, thanks for the update. The "cruise-in" sounds fun. I suppose this is different from the original plan of the boats being sequestered on June 17, so I assume it is optional for boats who are already near the starting line Regardless, I want to find my way there to say hello, on a boat or by a car.
    Whatever your little heart desires, Will. It's not required that you bring Sea Wisdom (although she is so beautiful that it is a shame not to share her with the rest of us). The Skippers Meeting is mandatory on Friday, so you wouldn't want to miss that. And the boxed lunch ;-)