Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kynntana Does Pacific Cup 2022

"I'm going to make myself get up early tomorrow (Sunday) so I can get the first topcoat down before the wind pipes up."

I'm assuming the tenting keeps the dew off. Do you have a humidity window?

Quote Originally Posted by FUGU-W30 View Post
    FUGU is painted with Sea Foam Green from Alexseal a two-part paint.
    I immediately thought it was a "Bianchi Green" So close. Looks great!
    The Sea is my Church; the Boat is my Pew.

I went to the high end of the recommended amount of solvent and never regretted it, I had heard about the special additive that made tipping almost unnecessary, but too late as it needed to be ordered, Svens didn't carry it, and the painting weather window had arrived!!. Also found i needed to add solvent as I went even if I covered the paint container between pour-outs into the tray. Doing the first coat I didnt mix in the extra solvent well enough, which created some extra thin spots!
    4" roller seemed so small compared to the 30' of boat, but after the first coat I was glad i went small, as it made the paint manageable.

Good to see the tent! The dew killed the shine of my second cabin side coat even though I finished painting around 2 PM!

Keep going! It's going to look great!!

Default Amazing

I love the color! That is always the color I have wanted to paint my boats!

Quote Originally Posted by FUGU-W30 View Post
    Looking good! And making great progress! Sanding and painting makes me grateful I have a desk job!!
    FUGU is painted with Sea Foam Green from Alexseal a two-part paint. Rolled on and tipped with a roller as well, painting was definitely a two person job. This kind of paint needs to go on thin, so the main painter is very busy spreading the paint before it gets tacky (and then drys lumpy if you keep messing with it after it becomes tacky). My daughter tipped, and followed me closely. Got her up before dawn to paint before the wind came up on the day of the third coat, she was a trooper! And she smiles every time FUGU gets a complement cause she knows she played a key part!
    I found:
    1. The wind is my enemy when painting, it pays to wait for 5 knots or less.
    2. Sanding is the cure for painting mistakes. FUGU's first coat went on ok, the wind started evaporating the solvent too fast towards the end. The second coat went on terribly, my impatience got the better of me and I painted in too much wind, very lumpy. Lots of sanding fixed it though! Sanding can't fix the final coat however...
    3. As I sanded I found that my eyes were not the best evaluator of surface smoothness, I learned to trust my finger tips. If my fingers could feel lumps, the paint would not cover the imperfection but would highlight it.

Fantastic Carliane! I am planning on the Pac Cup next year as well!