Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Three Bridge Fiasco - Coast Guard Pier

Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    One partial "solution" for the Chevron Long Wharf anyway, would be to change the course and require leaving Red Rock to Port and transiting a "gate" established by Red Rock and the Richmond bridge.
    Thom, I don't see how this helps, unless there's a flood. On an ebb, people will still want to hug the shore as they approach Red Rock - unless they're coming up from Raccoon and the ebb isn't too strong. Or am I missing something?

I think Dan's/Eric's idea of defining a "wall" like the Pinole Channel has potential. A line from G"3" near the long wharf to Castro Rock buoy (maybe with R"2" in between to bulge the line outward - also decreases the distance between buoys, making the line easier to judge) would have to be left to shoreward, no unwinding.

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/18653.shtml if you don't have a paper chart handy.

I had another wacky idea - not that I favor this, but just throwing it out there. Buy a couple of laser rangefinders. Get permission to station RC members on Long Wharf or the YB buoy station, and they can record distances and file protests.

Max

Default good luck finding volunteer for that

It is a great idea if you can find someone to sit on the peer all day with a bullhorn protesting folks.

I mostly agree with Dan, Eric and Max.

Add R "2" (QR) off the Long Wharf as a mark to be kept shoreward. Heck, do it for all the SSS races going that way so it gets into people's brains/habits. It's far enough out that there's no benefit to dipping back in towards the Long Wharf after clearing R "2".

G "1" off YBI doesn't work as well - the angles are such that people could still dip in towards shore when fighting the current. BUT unlike the Long Wharf, this is a clearly-marked restricted area on the chart. If baffles me that nobody lodged a protest on the YBI deal. (Well, I didn't either!) This area just needs to be added to the list of restricted areas in the SSI's and made a talking point at skippers' meetings for a spell.
    Last edited by BobJ; 02-13-2009 at 11:44 AM.

Exclamation You're right...

Just a brain fart on my part...didn't consider that during an ebb the "gate" would not be helpful.
    Respectfully, Thom

SeaRail 19, SriRacha

Cool You are right continued...

OTOH, the gate could be reversed for those 3BF races during ebbs. I know that would only work for 3 BF...we have other races that can get us near the long wharf (Vallejo, Richmond-South Beach).

Has anyone discussed this with the Coast Guard and requested permission to transit these areas for specific races? The regulation allows them to grant such permissions.
    Respectfully, Thom

SeaRail 19, SriRacha